• Page:

TOPIC: Lifting the motor

Lifting the motor 12 years 2 months ago #65255

• Jim L
  • Jim L's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I guess it's official I now have a 62 merc 850 (buddy's giving me the boat,motor and trailer for helping him work on his Aristocraft Nineteen this fall) so I'll be removing it from the rotten transom to store and tinker on this winter. Can someone tell me what type of bracket do I need to lift it with so I don't damage it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Lifting the motor 12 years 2 months ago #65268

The easiest way I have found is buy a lifting ring. I have a '63 850, and all you have to do is take off the "top hat" (4 nuts and disconnect the choke) and it threads into the flywheel. Use a cherry picker or a come along from an overhead beam and you can take it off by yourself.
They are available from several places like online Merc parts dealers. I paid about $35 - $40 , and it was a good investment.
Bill

Re:Lifting the motor 12 years 2 months ago #65273

use the lower rail on the bottom cowl. make a rope from the 2 rear corners and a similar loop from the front i use a a screw driver in the hole for the steering. lift from these 2 in the center of the top. no need to remove the rewind.

Re:Lifting the motor 12 years 2 months ago #65428

• Jim L
  • Jim L's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
dave bernard wrote:

use the lower rail on the bottom cowl. make a rope from the 2 rear corners and a similar loop from the front i use a a screw driver in the hole for the steering. lift from these 2 in the center of the top. no need to remove the rewind.

Worked like a charm, Dave. I just needed to get it on a stand and out of my way for now, but later when I get to working on it,I'm going to get a lift ring for lifting and pulling the flywheel like Bill suggested. Here's a couple pics. I just decided to have a motor stand built for two.Please forgive my blasphemy . :laugh:

Re:Lifting the motor 12 years 2 months ago #65435

the straps we used back then was the same design at the rea were 2 hooks and a ring in the center top to hook on.saves a lot of work taking the top off.

Re:Lifting the motor 12 years 2 months ago #65449

You don't pull the flywheel, it screws into the flywheel. The hole in the flywheel where the nut on the end of the crank is is threaded around the outside and the lifting ring screws in there. All you take off is the "top hat" and the recoil starter and disconnect the manual choke. It is alot easier on a new paint job. It is always a sick feeling to see half of your hard work need to be redone before you even get it on the boat!!
Bill

Re:Lifting the motor 12 years 2 months ago #65451

I've used both methods.

I installed my motor using ropes around the lower rail as you used, worked fine... this '63 (and earlier) motor has a solid connection to the mid-section. Later year Mercs have a floating cowl assembly so you dont want to do this to them (i think '65 on?).

I also have the ring that Al talks about, and it works great. Needed it to pull the block from the mid... but I have also used it to lift the whole motor, and its a good solid connection, much more secure than the ropes to the rail.

Dean
Attachments:

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:Lifting the motor 12 years 2 months ago #65460

Al the ring is for 65 and up. easy to tale the top off.not the earlier motors.in fact dont use the rope method on 65 and up you can break the rubber mounts for the cowls.

Re:Lifting the motor 12 years 2 months ago #65501

The ring works fine on my '63. It might take 15 - 20 minutes to take off the needed parts.
Bill

Re:Lifting the motor 12 years 2 months ago #66176

Dean,

What type of setup do you have? Winch electric? Let me know that's what I'm looking into. Travis

www.liquidassetsonline.org , 63\'PowerCat14-C w/twin64\'650\'s,14\'Glen-L Zip w/Mark58E,58\'TeeNee,
Mark55AE,Mark55E,PairMark58E\\\'s,Mark58AE,Mark78AEL, 6-7RBM\'s.Keep EM\' Alive! Always looking to add to collection.

Re:Lifting the motor 12 years 2 months ago #66182

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
As an Evinrude guy, I think threads like this are funny. Most big OMCs have a lifting ring or yoke built right onto the motor. I'm not sure why OMC chose to do that, but it is really nice to have. Of course, extra weight, never scared OMC. :laugh:

Re:Lifting the motor 12 years 2 months ago #66186

I'll lash this horse!

I'm a ring boy. Was never quite comfortable with straps and ropes. Works, but just not as secure. Also a must if you are picking off off or moving around the power head. Under normal situations I dont lift the motor often, so the extra ten minutes to remove the top hap is not an issue.....

Re:Lifting the motor 12 years 1 month ago #66334

I'm with Peter here. I like the solid feel of using a ring, and not having to watch ropes or straps or worry which way a motor is going to lean. I use a fold-away portable engine hoist to do the heavy lifting.

Frank

Re:Lifting the motor 12 years 1 month ago #66415

Travis,
I bought a small electric hoist (NIB) on eBay... 440 lb capacity (double line) for about $70. I clamped it to a 2" aluminum square tube, which spans over 3 trusses in my garage. I dont do heavy lifting, mostly for outboards. Works like a champ. There are many different sizes of these cheap winches. Here is an example (a little more spendy than mine was)

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:Lifting the motor 12 years 1 month ago #66419

Thanks Dean plan one getting one of those. Travis

www.liquidassetsonline.org , 63\'PowerCat14-C w/twin64\'650\'s,14\'Glen-L Zip w/Mark58E,58\'TeeNee,
Mark55AE,Mark55E,PairMark58E\\\'s,Mark58AE,Mark78AEL, 6-7RBM\'s.Keep EM\' Alive! Always looking to add to collection.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6998 guests and one member online