• Page:

TOPIC: 1962 Mark 28A

1962 Mark 28A 12 years 2 months ago #64295

• PSUrandy
  • PSUrandy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I picked up this motor for not a whole lot and thought it might be fun to run on my 14' aluminum boat. The seller said the fuel pump did not work, but said it ran well. I got a fuel pump kit and installed it. I removed the spark plugs and checked for spark. The top cylinder had good spark. The bottom had pretty much no spark. It did spark maybe once or twice, nothing constant. I put it in a barrel of water connected the fuel. It kinda ran, on one cylinder I assume. Even with the spark advance lever all the way to the right, it would barely run. I assume once its running on two with that lever all the way to the right (start) it should idle fairly fast, like the start position on my 7.5. Lastly, I didn't run for very long, but I did not see water coming from anywhere. Does this model of a teltale? How do you change the impeller? I heard you need to pull the powerhead? Is it difficult to service? I'm thinking about popping off the flywheel and filing the points, should get fire on both cylinders.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 1962 Mark 28A 12 years 2 months ago #64297

water pump is a real bear if you never did a auto trany motor. when running it in a barrel make sure the water is above the large DYNA FLOAT covers oryou will burn the pump out. GOOD LUCK great motor when done correctly.
mark 28 A is a 1959 motor.

Re:1962 Mark 28A 12 years 2 months ago #64300

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Have you done a compression test? If not that would be my next step before I turned another wrench.Also if it has sat for a fair amount of time I'd pull and kit the carb if the compression checks out okay.

Melanie

Re:1962 Mark 28A 12 years 2 months ago #64394

• PSUrandy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I got some work done on the motor this evening. I brought home my cordless impact from work to remove the flywheel nut and popped off the flywheel. The points didn't look that bad but I cleaned them up anyway. No spark. I got out the multimeter and started checking wires, everything tested ok. I figured I would swap out condensers and see if that would work. I swap them and now it has spark on the bottom, nice and strong. Just for kicks I put the other one back on the top, it too had strong spark. No sure what I did, maybe a loose or dirty connection? Connected the gas and it ran pretty well. I filled the barrel up to about the bottom of the transom clamp and it pumped water good. The impeller may be ok. Compression seems great, no test done yet. It probably won't hurt to clean the carb and set the points dead on.
Thanks!

Re:1962 Mark 28A 12 years 2 months ago #64426

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
you may be pumping water but DO NOT TRUST that old impeller. You do not have to pull the power head to change the water pump but there are special tools to do the job.
Good Luck

Re:1962 Mark 28A 12 years 2 months ago #64592

• PSUrandy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I had the flywheel off again and I wanted to make sure the points were dead on. I wanted to check for spark again and I had a perma gap plug laying around and figured I would use it. I was a bit surprised that it jumped the gap without any problem. I had to wonder if I could run these plugs instead of the center electrode plug? Does this ignition system have enough power to jump that gap at 5000 rpm?
Thanks!

Re:1962 Mark 28A 12 years 2 months ago #64634

wont jump reliably under compresion.i know

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.561 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6981 guests and one member online