Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Screw in Spark Plug Terminals???? Help CRIMP

Screw in Spark Plug Terminals???? Help CRIMP 12 years 4 months ago #62089

I have an issue on one spark plug wire on my 1976 Mercury 1150. I have accidentally ripped off the screw in terminal end to the distributor cap. I have obtained some new connectors, but I am unsure on how to crimp them back on. Is there a special tool that will do the trick? If so, WHERE DO I GET ONE? And better yet, is there something that I can get or maybe have that is inexpensive that will crimp the connector on?

Please help....

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1972 Sidewinder 18\\\\\\\'SS in resto. New transom, stringers, deck, knee braces... 1976 Merc 1150... Rebuilding my original with help from the all elite Dr FrankenMerc!!!

Re:Screw in Spark Plug Terminals???? Help CRIMP 12 years 4 months ago #62125

If my memory is right, you strip back about 3/4 inch to expose the core. Fold the core wire back against the outer insulation and slide the new end over it. This way the core is touching the brass connector. It should look like a fire cracker with the fuse stuck to its side.

As far a crimping just fold the brass over as round as you can with a pliers. If you have a set of crimps for wires, try and get a little tighter crimping with them somewhere around the middle of the connector.

Good luck.

1963 Starcraft 14' Ranger

Re:Screw in Spark Plug Terminals???? Help CRIMP 12 years 4 months ago #62131

littlefin wrote:

If my memory is right, you strip back about 3/4 inch to expose the core. Fold the core wire back against the outer insulation and slide the new end over it. This way the core is touching the brass connector. It should look like a fire cracker with the fuse stuck to its side.

As far a crimping just fold the brass over as round as you can with a pliers. If you have a set of crimps for wires, try and get a little tighter crimping with them somewhere around the middle of the connector.

Good luck.

Thanks for the tip. I've got 5 connectors so, I'll give it a shot to see how it works.

1972 Sidewinder 18\\\\\\\'SS in resto. New transom, stringers, deck, knee braces... 1976 Merc 1150... Rebuilding my original with help from the all elite Dr FrankenMerc!!!

Re:Screw in Spark Plug Terminals???? Help CRIMP 12 years 4 months ago #62182

• riceman
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
there is a special tool for the job, but i've never seen one, nor have i seen one for sale, so you'll have to do what you can. as mentioned, a pair of pliers or wiree crimpers will work. just don't go crazy on 'em. i managed to crack the metal ends while crimping mine (more force is always better, right? ;) )

Re:Screw in Spark Plug Terminals???? Help CRIMP 12 years 4 months ago #62221

Try a cheap (harbor freight) coaxial crimpers ( the kind used for t.v. cable fittings) They crimp round fittings. A little better than pliers.

Re:Screw in Spark Plug Terminals???? Help CRIMP 12 years 3 months ago #62692

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
oldmercs.com has cheap wires with terminals crimped, might be an option.
That said, what I do is strip back about 1/2 inch, fold wire over and slip on the terminal, just as explained in an earlier post.
Merc recomends this now be soldered. I use plumers flux on the terminal ID before slipping it on. I then gently hold the wire in a vise and heat the terminal threaded end with a small torch while holding solder to the small portion of wire sticking out till solder flows, like sweating a pipe.
To make sure it's crimped on I have a fixture I made
I'll try and explain: It's a simple block of metal, aluminum in my case, with a hole drilled just bigger than the dia of the termial and deep enough so when the terminal slips in, it bottoms, so the open end is flush to the block face. Once that is done then I drill a cross hole about 1/8 in dia that is about 3/16 in from that same face of the block. I slip the now soldered to the wire terminal into the hole till it bottoms and then place a nail into the cross hole and gently tap on the nail, it makes a square cut swage 3/16 from the end of the terminal (because a nail tip is square cut) into the collar of the terminal which then locks into the insulation on the wire. I do this three places equally spaced around the terminal. Do not hit too hard so you dent the terminal, it's hard to remove from the block if you do and use a sharp nail everytime so it punches the terminal collar into the insulation, a quick rap of the hammer works best to punch through the termial wall. I have seen stock wires crimped in this three or four "hole" style as well as the wrinkled full dia crimp. I have had zero issues with my wires soldered and then crimped with this simple fixture. I don't really think you need to solder but, the wire should be stripped and folded over as described.
Good Luck,
Randy

Re:Screw in Spark Plug Terminals???? Help CRIMP 12 years 3 months ago #62695

THANKS FOR THE TIP..
Actually this supercool cat who taught me what it is to be a "mercaholic" sent me a new/used wire. Too Cool.

And as for the tool- I've heard the buchanan pres-sure crimp tool will do the trick.

Nice explination for the crimping jig though, sounds like it will work perfectly.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6325 guests and no members online