Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Shift shaft seal installation - how?

Shift shaft seal installation - how? 12 years 4 months ago #61716

In the reassemble stage now that I have the water pump squared away, and instantly hit a road block. The seal on the mid for the shift shaft, cant figure out how it can be installed. As a reminder, I am setting her up on a mid eighties PTT

I can work the seal onto the shift shaft first, but it takes some effort.

Plus, the seal wouldn't fit through the hole in the pan

If I install it on the mid section first, then install the pan and shaft, with the tight fit to get the shaft over the seal, I cant imagine it wouldn't just push the seal into the mid. (here it is just sitting on the mid, not installed.

I thought maybe the shaft shaft assembly should come apart, but doesn't look like it.

Thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Shift shaft seal installation - how? 12 years 4 months ago #61724

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
at the top of the shift shaft isn't there a roll pin holding the bracket onto the top?? If so press it out and slide this shift boot on BUT I thought the boot was only for the push rod for the tilt lock and where you modified the mid to the integral T&T system yo just may not need it anymore.

Re:Shift shaft seal installation - how? 12 years 4 months ago #61747

I expected such a thing myself(the roll pin), but checked and rechecked and there is not one (or a set screw) at eather end. Both the bracket at the top and the coupling at the bottom appear to be pressed on, and maybe even soldered.

As for the reverse lock out, you are correct. I wo'nt need that anymore. In the picture above, the shift shaft boot (i've been incorectly calling it a seal) is sitting on top of the hole it installs in. The reverse lock out boot goes in the hole in front of that that you can see. I'll cover that off with a boot of some kind.

Was just peering at the whole thing a gfew minutes ago. Might have an approach.

Re:Shift shaft seal installation - how? 12 years 4 months ago #61817

• tim_c
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Peter;
To the best of my knowledge Mercury never put a boot on the shift shaft, only on the reverse lock rod.
Tim

Re:Shift shaft seal installation - how? 12 years 4 months ago #61835

Hey Tim!

Good to see you back. Don't be a stranger.

See ya soon.

Frank

Re:Shift shaft seal installation - how? 12 years 4 months ago #61859

Nay my good man!

Mine has a boot on both the shift shaft and the reverse lock out rod. Note in this dis-assembly pic you can see the shift shaft boot (circled)

I figured out an approach for installing the shift rod through the boot that worked perfect. The problem with having the boot installed and THEN trying to install the shift shaft is that it is much wider at the bottom end than the hole in the boot, and has a flat end. I figured if it was pointed, it would push right through. So I fashioned a "point" that slid into the end of the rod. Greased it up. Slide right through the boot with just a little push.

Now the question is, how to plug the lock out rode hole. The original boot I have had a tear in it (you can see it in the dis-assembly pic above). A new one would have a hole at the top . SO! Cut the top off the old boot, and use a inner tube patch kit to cement on a cover. I'll flip over the old boot and use the nice flat side to get a good surface, then install it "upside down" (cover up)

Re:Shift shaft seal installation - how? 12 years 4 months ago #61880

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
nice details Peter.

Re:Shift shaft seal installation - how? 12 years 4 months ago #61935

• tim_c
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Peter;
I stand corrected. In all the hundreds of those I have disassembled I have never seen one installed . However in the parts book they do list it . It was only used in 1962&3 . I suspect that because it was such a pain in the butt to install everyone left them out.
Tim

Re:Shift shaft seal installation - how? 12 years 4 months ago #61937

• tim_c
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Well now that I'm retired I think I might be able to find a little time to join in.

Re:Shift shaft seal installation - how? 12 years 4 months ago #61938

congrats on your retirement tim...gunna miss the dust-off due to an agonizing heel spur. its been disabling me for 3 weeks now. ron

Re:Shift shaft seal installation - how? 12 years 4 months ago #61939

I thought the same thing Tim, how those boots must have been a huge PITA for the service guys. I also stared at the lower (seemingly forever) wondering if there would have been any harm at all leaving them out. I didn't think so, but decided that if I could figure something out I'd put them back.

Congrats on the retirement! Come on down to Delaware and refresh your interest by tuning up my 1000 for me!!!

Re:Shift shaft seal installation - how? 12 years 4 months ago #62136

• tim_c
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Peter;
I'd love to do just that. A road trip would be a nice diversion. Just can't get away for a while though. Only retired from my day job. Now I'm a full time outboard tech. Got at least a 1/2 dozen boats sitting here waiting for me to fix them + 2 or 3 old Mercs to be restored for customers. Then there's all of my projects. Check out my web site, paradise boat works.com & you'll see my biggest project.
Tim

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.287 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6231 guests and no members online