Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cool clamps

Cool clamps 12 years 5 months ago #59914

These clamps are very cool. They are special merc clamps that were made to mount mercs to jack plates and such, or at least I think that's the deal. They will also make both my power trim & tilt and new hydraulic steering work just fine with the power lift I'm putting on (hopefully) this weekend.

Also in the pic are some new stainless break-away chains I got in the mail today. I need to drill a couple 1/2" holes to mount them to the brake actuator. They're gonna look sharp compared to the rusty ones I used to have!

Frank

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Cool clamps 12 years 5 months ago #59932

Great score Frank!

Bob

Re:Cool clamps 12 years 5 months ago #59936

Thanks Bob. And thanks to Tim Calmes, who had those clamps and sold them to me!

Still a long ways to go before the boat is ready for the water. I'm under pressure in large part due to a puppy named Buckley!

Frank

Re:Cool clamps 12 years 5 months ago #59943

Yep roger that. I know the feeling. Too many honey do's plus I'm too nit picky so the clean up on the trailer is taking longer than I'd like.

Bob

Re:Cool clamps 12 years 5 months ago #59981

I'm almost done with the trailer Bob. Everything takes longer than planned. These stainless break-away chains mean two 1/2" holes need to be drilled very carefully in the brake actuator. Because I went to bigger tires the fenders had to move up a notch, and now I need to make new back covers (plywood & carpet) for them. New tongue meant I had to install a new eye for the bow tie down. Today I hope to get some galvanized chain and connectors for that, and this weekend get everything done. Plus I need to get a clamp off my motor (that will take at least an hour), get the new clamps on, mount the jack plate, figure out where the jack plate will mount to the transom, get that done, and hopefully get the jack plate wired correctly for control from the dash. For some reason I don't think I'm gonna get all this done this weekend, but I have high hopes!

Good luck with your trailer.

Frank

Re:Cool clamps 12 years 5 months ago #60005

The later inline 6's starting in possibly 1979 had transom clamps like that with no thumb screws. So from approximatly 1979-1983 those clamps were used on the inline 6's. In roughly 1984- 1988 the later internal trim mid was used and also had no thumb screws.

Thumb screws are neat. but the full bolt on ones are much much beetter.

At least with the power trim add on you gain more bolt on space for the thumb screw models. My 1500 short I have 2 carriage bolts per trim braket and the normal ones at the bottom along with the thumb screws.

Conrad

Conrad

Re:Cool clamps 12 years 5 months ago #60011

Thanks for the info Conrad, I had no clue, just enthused to have these babies. Hopefully this weekend I will get them on and see how it goes. Too many things to do! Can't wait to get going on that 1350 too.

Frank

Re:Cool clamps 12 years 5 months ago #60019

Thanks Frank, sounds like yo have a lot going on there. Always good to have a goal!

Bob

Re:Cool clamps 12 years 5 months ago #60030

Yes Bob, too much going on, but if nothing else, I bought a life preserver for my 5# puppy tonight. The funny thing is it will probably fit him into adulthood!

Frank

Re:Cool clamps 12 years 5 months ago #60040

Nice! Nothing wrong with getting your money's worth! LOL

Bob

Re:Cool clamps 12 years 5 months ago #60067

You got it Bob! Even comes with a handle for easy picking up...

Attachments:

Re:Cool clamps 12 years 5 months ago #60103

Cool, like self loading baggage. :)

Bob

Clamp problems 12 years 5 months ago #60193

Can't get the starboard trim bracket on.

Port bracket, no problem.

Also, because new clamps are thicker around center hole (was 7/8", I drilled out to 1" to fit the center shaft), can't use the old thick washer/bushings things.

Any ideas would be real helpful and greatly appreciated!

Frank

Fixed! 12 years 5 months ago #60255

No ideas forthcoming, so I got out my 4 1/2" angle grinder and now everything fits...

Re:Cool clamps 12 years 5 months ago #60257

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
McGuyvering at its best!!!!!!!!!

Re:Cool clamps 12 years 5 months ago #60261

Thanks Kerry. I've been accused of such before! Gets the job done buddy.

Frank

Re:Cool clamps 12 years 5 months ago #60266

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey that was my idea! Great minds think alike

Re:Cool clamps 12 years 5 months ago #60273

It musta been ESP Jim...

Re:Cool clamps 12 years 5 months ago #60278

Excellent idea and fully functional, what more can one ask for!??!?!!? Great job buddy.

Bob

Re:Cool clamps 12 years 4 months ago #60900

"Cool" clamps would not work, and trust me, I spent oodles of time trying to get them to work. Basically the problem was every time I tightened everything up, it was locking the tilt up. Very frustrating. So 50 bucks, and a weekend of effort all for naught.

I went back to square one, and last night with a few minutes in-between puppy duties got holes drilled for the top of the old clamps, so now I have bolts top and bottom on the clamps, top and bottom of the PT&T brackets, and the clamps si8tting directly on top of the jack plate. I need some more stainless bolts of specific sizes, will remove everything, cut the clamps off where the old t-handle screws went through, clean everything up, and maybe give them a coat or two of paint, then reassemble. If I don't get this stuff done soon, I won't have much of a boating season. Having a 3 month old puppy steals a lot of time from my shop projects.

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Cool clamps 12 years 4 months ago #60901

Did you get the the cross tube from the guy you purchased them from? Or did you have to pull your cross tube from your 1000 clamps and use it? (the tube that supports the halves and the the big bolts thred into to hold the trim brackets on)

Im just guessing here. But Im guessing you are using the 1000 cross tube in those newer style clamps possibly and the 1000 tube may be short and when you tighten it all down it sucks in the middle/ bottom of the halves and binds the mech. Also the bottom 1/4 all thred should have a spacer tube over top inside to set the space between the halves.

Conrad

Re:Cool clamps 12 years 4 months ago #60907

I did not get a cross tube with the clamps Conrad. Didn't know I needed one, and the fellow I got them from must not have known I would have problems. I haven't told him about it yet. But I bet you are correct, and that was my problem.

I never had a spacer tube over the all-thread. That's a capital idea. I'm pretty sure the instructions merc offered for adapting their early PT&T did not suggest that. They did suggest the threaded rod. I could look when I get home. Otherwise I could pick up some 1/4" i.d. tubing and cut it to length. That would a big help I think. Thanks Conrad!

Frank

Re:Cool clamps 12 years 4 months ago #60908

Im looking at a set of clamps on a mid like your "cool clamps" And the cross tube is the same lwidth as the older style but it has a different shoulder dimention. And the plastic shims are different as well. Now that you have drilled out the center hole to fit the old style center shaft, I think you may be screwed. Because the newer style shaft that you should have gotten with your clamps is smaller.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news... I think if you would have had the correct cross center bar it would have went together just fine.

Conrad

PS all my mercs with power trim have a 1/4 inch spacer tube ont he bottom bolt to keep the spread correct when tightening down.
Conrad

Re:Cool clamps 12 years 4 months ago #60909

Conrad, you are not the bearer of bad news. I already figured out I threw 50 bucks down the proverbial drain. So it goes. Never done any of this stuff before, so I learn as I go. Thankfully it was only 50 bucks! It's the time consumed that bothers me, but that's water over the dam.

I like that spacer idea. Maybe I do have one around. If not, I will pick one up before the weekend if I don't have some already in the shop. Everything has to come apart again anyways so I can do my clamp trimming, clean the clamps up when I'm done, and give them a coat or two of black.

Onward!

Frank

Re:Cool clamps 12 years 4 months ago #60910

If I was you I would see if the gentleman has the cross bar you need. Tell him your situation and have him send it to you.

That way you can look at hem side by side and you might find that you can modify a spacer to fill the gap you honed out.

Thats what Id be doing. They might not be lost yet.
Conrad

Re:Cool clamps 12 years 4 months ago #60911

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Frank your always welcome to come make a spacer on the lathe.

Re:Cool clamps 12 years 4 months ago #60921

Thanks guys, but I'm done with those clamps for now. It has taken way too much time that I didn't really have to begin with. I wanted (needed?) to have that jack plate mounted to my motor, positioned correctly on my transom, and the whole unit bolted to my boat this past weekend. Instead I'm back at step one. I need to move ahead for now, and worry about the "cool" clamps later. As it is, I'm going to have holes to fill on the transom from where the motor and PT&T used to bolt, and I bet that will take me some time, plus I still need to figure out wiring for the power lift. When doing this I had to remove my trim cylinders, so both the PT&T and power lift both need to be filled with oil and bled. Then I have to keep my fingers crossed that the old merc will start up! shoot, I still need to change the LU oil I think. Too many things to do, and with this puppy we have, very little time at home to do them.

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.274 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6201 guests and no members online