• Page:

TOPIC: Decision on lower unit 1970 Mercury 200 20HP

Decision on lower unit 1970 Mercury 200 20HP 12 years 5 months ago #59259

• DaddyE
  • DaddyE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
1970 Mercury 200 (20HP). Runs fine... but I bent the prop shaft and a 1 inch piece of the lower unit lip around the prop broke off. Doesn't look like it would affect anything but I'm no motor expert. I have to get the shaft straightened for sure.

I HAVE 2 OPTIONS:

OPTION ONE) Take it to a reliable prop repair shop which will straighten the shaft for $165 right on the boat. Sounds risky but it's Nettles Props here in Austin and they are the best. I have no question on their ability to do it right and in a safe manner.

OPTION TWO) Take it to the local certified Mercury repairman. He has 2 used lower units like mine with straight prop shafts and check-out on holding lower unit oil. The used LU is $250 and said it would be about an hour to replace mine and swap out my brand new impeller with the new (used) lower unit. Total price is about $350.

The advantage with number 2 is I get to see how to replace the impeller so I can do it myself in the future. Any thoughts? I'm a little tight on cash so the extra money (option 2) better be worth the money. Is a piece of the lower unit housing being chipped off a big deal? Thanks!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Decision on lower unit 1970 Mercury 200 20HP 12 years 5 months ago #59268

Why not just take the shaft out and replace or straighten it? Doing it on the boat is asking for it, and a good shop could replace the shaft in 20 minuits.

Re:Decision on lower unit 1970 Mercury 200 20HP 12 years 5 months ago #59269

• DaddyE
  • DaddyE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I was told that taking the shaft out is a fairly large operation. Also a special tool or 2 is needed to get the seals. Also told that messing with the seals might mean trouble on a 43 year old unit. They are expensive and hard to find. My price quotes on removing the shaft (and re-installing it) have been in the $200 range. Can it be I'm being shafted??? [pun intended]

Re:Decision on lower unit 1970 Mercury 200 20HP 12 years 5 months ago #59308

As long as she's not a salty, it should indeed come apart quite easily. And yes, it is a less than a half-hour job to swap out a shaft. Only special tool needed is the wrench to remove the spanner nut holding in the rear carrier.

If you do replace the shaft, find one from a later 20 - it'll be stainless, vs. the plated carbon steel one you have now...

Re:Decision on lower unit 1970 Mercury 200 20HP 12 years 5 months ago #59328

Buy the tool and do the job yourself or find another shop. Sounds like your mechanic has either never touched one of these or is trying to scare you into buying a new engine!! Special tools to remove the seals??? My ass.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5700 guests and no members online