• Page:

TOPIC: merc 400E pull starting

merc 400E pull starting 12 years 5 months ago #59119

• 59Hustler
  • 59Hustler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Is there any way to make a merc 400 easier to pull start without pulling the plugs.(lol) Mine starts easy with the battery however I can barely get it to turn over when pull starting.
I can start it sometimes but it is very hard to pull.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:merc 400E pull starting 12 years 5 months ago #59172

sounds like tuneup time, they arent hard to start

Re:merc 400E pull starting 12 years 5 months ago #59190

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
How hard should they be to pull? I am talking about force.
If I can get it to spin it will start.

Re:merc 400E pull starting 12 years 5 months ago #59201

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
sounds like you have a mechanical issue with the pull starter. When was the last time it was taken apart clean and had fresh grease put to it? it should not be much tougher than starting a lown mower or sno blower.
If you remove the top hat cowl is the motor hard to turn over by hand?? If so has it over heated recently?

Re:merc 400E pull starting 12 years 5 months ago #59212

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I Know I have to check the recoil mech as the last time out I had to try to pull start it and the rope refused to return after several pulls.
2.I will have to see how hard it is to turn over by hand with the hat removed.
3. It did overheat 2 years ago it got so hot that the plastic covering on the fiberglass insulation melted onto the cover plate on the magneto side.
It still has 130lbs of compression on all 4 cylinders though.
The overheat started almost instantly on start up, as the impeller had disintegrated. This due to my stupidity of starting it up out of the water for just a minute.

Re:merc 400E pull starting 12 years 5 months ago #59214

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
sounds to me like the thing is going to turn over hard by hand due to the bearings being cooked.
I want to add that when you remove the top hat you should be able to turn the flywheel with one hand and it should feel springy and bouncy coming up on compression. If it is stiff while trying to turn up to the compression then I think you toasted a bearing.

Re:merc 400E pull starting 12 years 5 months ago #59338

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I removed the top hat today and the motor did turn over with one hand, was springy coming up on compression, so I think I dodged the bullet on that. The recoil mechanism on the other hand is hard to pull and reluctant to rewind although the spring feels strong and the pawlss do extend. I lubed it with some 105 white grease but it only helped a little.
I saw a thread here on rebuilding the recoil mech I am going to check out that thread.
I am also thinking I was using the wrong technique to pull start. I had the throttle all the way forward to the max in neutral (2 lever control). That would give a lot of spark advance which could make the engine very difficult to turn over. When I used to kick start HARLEY'S with handlebar spark advance if you gave it too much advance it would be hard to kick and if you did, it would throw you over the handlebars.

Re:merc 400E pull starting 12 years 5 months ago #59360

59Hustler wrote:

I removed the top hat today and the motor did turn over with one hand, was springy coming up on compression, so I think I dodged the bullet on that. The recoil mechanism on the other hand is hard to pull and reluctant to rewind although the spring feels strong and the pawlss do extend. I lubed it with some 105 white grease but it only helped a little.
I saw a thread here on rebuilding the recoil mech I am going to check out that thread.
I am also thinking I was using the wrong technique to pull start. I had the throttle all the way forward to the max in neutral (2 lever control). That would give a lot of spark advance which could make the engine very difficult to turn over. When I used to kick start HARLEY'S with handlebar spark advance if you gave it too much advance it would be hard to kick and if you did, it would throw you over the handlebars.

I dont think so...I dont use reverse on my smaller boats over powered with 4 cylinder motors or they would swamp, therefore I start my 4 cylinders in gear full throttle all the time, electric start ofcourse but none the less they start just fine wide open.
I see guys roping their motors over and over trying to start them try a tuneup, should solve your problem

Im not a big guy, I have trouble pulling a 4 if out of tune & a six I dont even try

Re:merc 400E pull starting 12 years 5 months ago #59430

My pull start was so gummed up with old greese it was hard to pull and had to be coaxed back in. The the rope broke so that was that.

Disassembled, cleaned, regreased, spins nice.

Re:merc 400E pull starting 12 years 5 months ago #59469

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Where is the bolt or nut holding the recoil to the top hat? Is it hidden under the chrome top piece. The mercury manual doesn't have much on this, and the removal of the hats handle.
Also Does anyone know where to get the grommet that keeps the rope from fraying from touching the hole in the hat. Was the grommet rubber,brass or plastic?

Re:merc 400E pull starting 12 years 5 months ago #59489

there is no grommet. handle os held on with 3 nuts from underside.

Re:merc 400E pull starting 12 years 5 months ago #59499

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks I was looking at different sites and could find nothing indicating a grommet it just seemed there should be one.
I will pull the handle to access the entire recoil unit to clean and lubricate it.

Re:merc 400E pull starting 12 years 5 months ago #59641

When you get to the point where you want to remove the handle, there are two machine screws at back end. I recommend putting some liquid wrench on these and letting set over night. Both of mine were hard to get off, and one broke off in the handle (fresh water motor). Had both snapped, it would have been a problem.

Re:merc 400E pull starting 12 years 5 months ago #59663

Strip the recoil starter down to the last nut and bolt, make sure the bushing is free on the shaft as you clean everything. Replace the nut tab washer and the wave washers, replace the rope, and lightly grease the spring and pivot points. Remember that the nut turns clockwise to loosen, and tighten the spring three full turn of the shaft to preload it. Do everything right and it should be no harder to pull than a 20 horse fishing engine, and it should start just off idle if it is set up right.

Re:merc 400E pull starting 12 years 5 months ago #59771

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Peter Thanks for the tip on the handle I will put some pb blaster on before I start.
GF this is the info I really need. What type of grease do you recommend?
Thanks for all of the help. I appreciate it all.

Re:merc 400E pull starting 12 years 5 months ago #59774

Use a waterproof thin grease such as white lithium and not too much, a thin coat is all that is needed. Best to replace the spring if it is iffy, but most of the time I reuse them without trouble. Removing and replacing the spring is not too difficult, but it is wise to use eye protection as the wound spring can pack a good punch if it slips out of the housing.

Re:merc 400E pull starting 12 years 5 months ago #60214

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I still need to do this. However today I took her out today and with only the 105 I squeezed onto the recoil mech acouple weeks ago. She pulled like a Lawn mower and started on the 2nd or third pull every time.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.391 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5557 guests and no members online