Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Gas for a '70 1350?

Gas for a '70 1350? 12 years 5 months ago #58991

Reading through the merc manual that includes my motor, merc says (in part) "Regular leaded, low-lead and lead free automotive fuels are satisfactory in all Mercury Outboards manufactured since 1964. Avoid use of premium gasoline other than Amoco lead-free premium, as piston failure may occur from the use of phosphorus additives."

I always used premium in my '63 1000. Once I get this 1350 together, it seems I run it just with regular gas?

Just checking!

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Gas for a '70 1350? 12 years 5 months ago #58999

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Well, regular damn sure aint what it used to be, 30/40 years ago. And risk doing a "Hole in one", if timing aint cranked way down. My Thom (Doc) Frankenmerc 1350 build is at 21 degrees, and never would run Reg. Heck, not even mid grade, as a few cents more, I run Premium.

Re:Gas for a '70 1350? 12 years 5 months ago #59003

That's what I wanted to know, thanks, and no problem, I want this baby to run good when I finally get it together. Premium it is!

Frank

Re:Gas for a '70 1350? 12 years 5 months ago #59027

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I wish Sunoco still made ultra 94. I used to sell it at the fuel dock at the marine we ran years ago. People lined up for miles for it.
Goin in for my opp this thurs or next Frank. Still some motor to get rid of Frank if you know anyone.

Premium it is!!

Piston pin lock rings for a '70 1350? 12 years 5 months ago #59043

I used to buy Ultra 94 at the 24/7 Sunoco in Massena in the late 60's for like 40 cents/gallon...

Good luck with the operation Jim.

Gee, while we're right here, I got a question. The merc manual says not to re-use piston pin lock rings. Is that a big deal? I got a part # for them (Sierra 18-4294) and wonder if I should buy 6 sets just in case?

Also, the manual says not to re-use the bolts and nuts that hold the rod ends on. Any advice there? Are new ones special, or just off the shelf items?

I hope to get back to that 1350 project soon. Too many things going on!

Thanks and best of luck!

Frank

Re:Gas for a '70 1350? 12 years 5 months ago #59069

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
The pin retainers can lose their "spring" over time. New ones are cheap insurance. As for the rod bolts, they DO stretch and will lose strength during re-torquing. Some aftermarket (ARP) fastener co's list max stretch length, assembled and torqued, for go/no go during rebuilding. For peace of mind, use new, unless you can find a stretch length for your stock bolts. Throwing a rod at speed due to a snapped bolt is no fun and $$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!

Re:Gas for a '70 1350? 12 years 5 months ago #59071

Sounds good Kerry, thanks. I'll get new stuff, though I'm not sure I'm removing the piston pins anyways. Rod bolts probably for sure. I'm taking my time with this one, don't need it to have a working boat, old merc 1000 runs great.

Frank

Re:Gas for a '70 1350? 12 years 5 months ago #59095

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
Rod bolts for the older-style rods with machined joint on the rod cap can be re-used if in good condition. Probably a good idea to renew the nylock nuts, though. I always use a drop of red Loctite on the rod bolt threads of this type and have never had a motor come apart. Torque to 180 in-lb.

Newer-style 'fractured cap' rods use 'torque-to-yield' aka 'stretch' bolts that thread into the rod itself. These bolts must be replaced as they are permanently deformed during torquing and there's a strong possibility of them breaking if reused.

No fun at all!

I'd expect that your 1350 would have the older-style rods with thru-bolts, unless a previous owner had replaced with newer ones.

HTH.........ed

Re:Gas for a '70 1350? 12 years 5 months ago #59099

If I can, I gonna try and get away with not disassembling anything. Clean the carbon off the top of the pistons, re-ring, lightly hone the cylinders, and drop that crank & pistons back in.

It's been hard to find time. Normally I'm in my shop before work (like now) and after work, but we have a puppy who just turned 9 weeks yesterday, and he's been stealing my shop time!

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Gas for a '70 1350? 12 years 5 months ago #59257

In 1970 “regular” gasoline was 93 octane. I have a 1970 Mercury and my local certified Mercury mechanic said I should run premium (93/94) religiously as well as using a quality fuel filter. Apparently engines ran higher compression back in the day and any little piece of junk common in today’s gasoline can mess it up. An in line fuel filter is cheap and easy insurance. My owner’s manual says to avoid “premium white gas” and I have no idea what that is… we probably don’t have it anymore.

Re:Gas for a '70 1350? 12 years 5 months ago #59262

Dad used to buy white gas somplace back in the 60's. I think some gas stations carried it. I don't think he used it with our boats, but no clue. First time I've heard of it in a while is in the old merc service manual I have!

Frank

Re:Gas for a '70 1350? 12 years 5 months ago #59266

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I know the Standard Oil Co. stations (later known as Amoco) used to carry it back in the day, my dad was a "tank wagon" (wholesale delivery truck) driver. They kept a smaller tank in the back of the gas stations for the "white gas", not sure what folks used it for though. I think Coleman still sells it in gallon cans for lanterns, camp stoves, etc..

I think it burned a good bit "hotter" than regular road gas, would probably melt pistons, etc.?

Mark

Re:Gas for a '70 1350? 12 years 5 months ago #59272

amoco carried it. my dad use to buy it for our 58 18hp evinrude.

Re:Gas for a '70 1350? 12 years 5 months ago #59276

I think "white gas" was the term used for 1970's unleaded, no anti-knock, lower octane gas. My Mecury manual says specifically not to use it. I'm guessing because of the lower octane. Having higher compressions they require the anti-knock (higher octane) gasoline.

Re:Gas for a '70 1350? 12 years 5 months ago #59277

white gas is unleaded gas more commonly referred to as Coleman fuel .

Re:Gas for a '70 1350? 12 years 5 months ago #59288

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
If you have a friend in aviation, you may be able to get hold of some 100LL and your 1350 will like it lots!

That's what the Good Dr. FrankenMerc is running in the Tower of Power on his G3 Wild Thang, it goes quite well, thank you!.......ed

Re:Gas for a '70 1350? 12 years 5 months ago #59297

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
There is a excellent article on this subject,probably should be put in the library somehow. Home page of screamandfly. has it written up.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Gas for a '70 1350? 12 years 5 months ago #59302

Coleman fuel is not gas, it is naptha, with an octane around 50 to 55.

Re:Gas for a '70 1350? 12 years 5 months ago #59315

Doug Reeve wrote:

Coleman fuel is not gas, it is naptha, with an octane around 50 to 55.

Coleman fuel is a highly refined gasoline with no additives it is not naptha . read on .

hv.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=000iKh

Re:Gas for a '70 1350? 12 years 5 months ago #59325

Coleman themselves say it's naphtha.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5717 guests and no members online