Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Merc 400E water in lower unit Need help replacing

Merc 400E water in lower unit Need help replacing 12 years 6 months ago #58771

Hi,

I have a '61 Merc 400E. I have it all tuned up and running but trying to figure out which seal needs to be replace and how to do it. I have replaced the seal just above the water pump and the water pump itself. I was told it was the "grease seal" below the water impeller and the driveshaft has to be removed? I was able to get a spanner wrench to remove the disk that holds the seal around the driveshaft just above the water pump. I havent had any luck replacing the seal by the impeller since can find a wrench to remove that locknut that holds the seal.

Currently I am using lubriplate 105 (from forums) over the 89-90w premium lube. Now I noticed that the grease is very difficult to get out of there. Any recommendations? I dont mind using it but know its hard on the lower unit getting water in there. This past sunday I had it in a test take and a ring of grease was on the top of the trash can that I use to test the motor..

Thanks, Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Merc 400E water in lower unit Need help replacing 12 years 6 months ago #58777

the grease is what is and was used in them not oil.

Re:Merc 400E water in lower unit Need help replacing 12 years 5 months ago #58873

I am afraid there is no silver bullet cure here. To prevent leakage on that and all outboard lower units, the thing has to be taken apart and all the seals and o rings replaced, no exceptions. But that is usually the easy part, as it is imperative that the shaft sealing surfaces be smooth and free of grooves or pitting which is usually the case. A good machine shop should be able to do this or you can replace the shafts, or you can try a speedie sleeve to cover up the bad surfaces. I recommend the former as the sleeves can be a mixed bag results wise. Sorry, but that is the way it is, but done properly the lower unit should be leak free for years as long as the lube is changed regularly.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5483 guests and no members online