• Page:

TOPIC: merc 500 shift problem

merc 500 shift problem 12 years 6 months ago #57127

• u2denis
  • u2denis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,decided to install water pump in my 1968 merc 500.Now I am wondering if and what might be wrong with it? I can get it in neutral,but when I turn shift shaft right or left of neutral,the propeller shaft always turns the same way.[driveshaft clockwise,prop shaft clockwise].I am not sure if it was like that before I pulled it apart. Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:merc 500 shift problem 12 years 6 months ago #57128

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
sounds like you may have over camed it. You really should be shifting these. It is always best to shift them with either the drive shaft spinning or the prop shaft.
Take a step back clear your eyes and your head get it back to neutral and try again to be sure you get all three shift positions.
good luck

Re:merc 500 shift problem 12 years 6 months ago #57153

With the shift shaft in Neutral Gear position and you turn the driveshaft clockwise the propshaft will commonly 'drag' in a clockwise rotation unless you hold it stationary with your hand.
With the shift shaft turned clockwise (only a smidge) from Neutral it will 'click' or 'clunk', into Forward Gear - And then as you turn the driveshaft clockwise the propshaft should turn clockwise too even if you try to stop it by gripping it.
Then,...If you turn the shift shaft counter-clockwise to the 'click' into Neutral, and then continue to rotate the shift shaft counter-clockwise as you slowly rotate the prop shaft clockwise, the shift shaft should 'click' into the Reverse Gear postion and the prop shaft should begin to rotate counter-clockwise.
Remember,...NEVER turn the driveshaft counter-clockwise once you have installed the impeller. If you do,...Sometimes the impeller blades won't return to the correct position and consequently it is unable to pump as much water as it should.
IF,...When you shift the shift shaft back and forth between Forward-Neutral-Reverse and you are not feeling the definite 'click' or 'clunk' you 'might' be moving the shift shaft simply back-n-forth in Forward gear, which has about 120 degrees of movement in itself.
Rotate to the counter-clockwise end of that range and then continue counter-clockwise to find true Neutral & Reverse.
I miss you guys, but I've been having a pretty rough time medically and haven't been able to sit at the 'puter as much as I would like.
Thom
[img) www.fiberglassics.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Keeping_em_alive_s.jpg [/img]
Attachments:

Re:merc 500 shift problem 12 years 6 months ago #57162

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
We've missed having you around too Thom, I was just wondering about you the other day. Sorry to hear it's been a rough road (medically) lately, sincere wishes for smoother sailing from here on out.

Mark

Re:merc 500 shift problem 12 years 6 months ago #57171

• u2denis
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the quick responce guys,Well I cleared my eyes and head(lol) and tried it again.Turned shift shaft counter clockwise to neutral position.Turning driveshaft clockwise in neutral makes the propshaft drag counter clockwise.I can stop it from turning with very little effort.Turning shiftshaft clockwise 1/8 of a turn, I hear it click into gear.Clockwise on driveshaft turns propshaft clockwise.I cannot stop it from turning by hand.Now,When I put shiftshaft [cc] back in neutral,then counter clockwise 1/8 of a turn,I again here it click into gear. But the propshaft again turns clockwise.I cannot stop it by hand.I wonder if I should put it back together and try it in a barrel?

Re:merc 500 shift problem 12 years 6 months ago #57177

• u2denis
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Finally figured it out.I was turning the shift shaft cc from neutral but was going too far.The trick here is "only a smidge".Thanks Frankenmerc..Now hopelly I get it lined up properly to reinstall.Did a search here so I am pretty confident.Then the big test in the barrel.Bought this motor without hearing it run[compression 120psi in all cylinders],so kind of anxious to see how it runs.Thanks for your help!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5597 guests and no members online