Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1963 65HP Long Shaft

1963 65HP Long Shaft 12 years 7 months ago #56784

I have decided to part out a 1963 65HP Mercury Long Shaft. When I got the motor the flywheel was off but with the motor and it was missing the starter solenoid. As I am taking the motor apart I am curious as to what parts can be used on other years. I have a couple of 1971/72 65 HP & 80 HP motors a 1964 90HP motor and a 1962 50 HP motor all Mercury's. Lower unit looks similar to the 70's but not exact. But also have shocks, swivel, starter etc. Mostly interested if the lower unit will fit a 1972 80HP both long shafts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 1963 65HP Long Shaft 12 years 7 months ago #56815

Different ratio lower I think you will find, although it should physically fit. The '63 650 was the early 60 cube motor so will be of little use as a donor to your later 62 cube 650. Different powerhead altogether from the 80. The mid design is also different of the early 650 so I don't know if that would be useable.

Re:1963 65HP Long Shaft 12 years 7 months ago #56820

Thank you for the reply. The block says "Panther" was this the only horse power this block was used on? My 1962 50 HP motor is away in storage, physically that motor although a four cylinder is much smaller. Would it be worth it to me to keep the lower unit to use on the '62 50HP? How about the distributor or starter can they be used on the '62 50 HP or the '64 90 HP? I am getting a little presssure to clean out the garage and much of this motor may end up getting tossed.

I have enjoyed tearing the motor down. I am getting to see how things work. While working on the motor I am finding many of the screws tapped into the block will break off when trying to remove. There seems to be some type of corrosion between the metal of the block and the diffeent metal of the screw. I am also having trouble removing the block from the mid section, seems to be glued on. So far these are the issues that would keep me from trying to work on an engin that I would plan to use.

Re:1963 65HP Long Shaft 12 years 7 months ago #56835

later 65and up have an exhaust tube that connects to the lower so they wont work well with the early 65 lower.

Re:1963 65HP Long Shaft 12 years 7 months ago #56842

That is a cool engine, first of the big fours. As Dave sez, a lot of the parts are unique to that engine and would be invaluable to someone restoring one. I am finishing up the rebuilding a '64 650, and a lot of the parts were very hard to get indeed, as they were only built for two years in that configuration. The 1965 and later engines were a different engine, and the lower units are different as well, however they may fit the later engines if you remove the tuner pipe in the leg. Shift shaft and reverse lock hook mechanism is different as well, you will need to mess with all that. Might not be worth the effort.

Re:1963 65HP Long Shaft 12 years 7 months ago #56885

Thank you again for all the replies. Does anyone on the site need any parts? I am finding that I will be concentrating on the smaller four cylinder 50 HP 1962 and the larger 6 cylinder '61 - '65. This model does not fit with my current collection of boats. The word hoarder has been thrown around my house so I have to concentrate on motors that I can rationally use. I know I will no sooner dispose of this motor only to find myself needing a part, but it is the price to pay for harmony in the home. Thanks again.

Re:1963 65HP Long Shaft 12 years 7 months ago #56888

some of those parts will work on 6 cyl before 65. if it lloks correct it most likely will work.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5723 guests and no members online