• Page:

TOPIC: fired the 500 merc today

fired the 500 merc today 12 years 7 months ago #56589

• Hugh Long
  • Hugh Long's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
When I bought this boat and motor on Thursday the owner (12 years) said he had a complete tuneup done 8 years ago and never took the boat out again (He bought a big Lowe for fishing )I got the interior stripped and cleaned yesterday so today got to the motor. Hooked up a battery, it cranked over and the choke even worked. So I put it water and hooked up the gas tank. No fuel, no go. I'm not surprised, I'll have to clean the fuel system, carbs. However when I put a shot of fuel into the carbs it fired right up. I have forgot how nice the mercs sound. I have this one and a 400. I just sold a long-shaft 500 along with an Avalon to a friend. I won't be able to get back to it for a month or so due to a little surgery. Once I have it running, my friend and I will do our first Merc lower units and water pumps.
This boat is going in the water this summer and it will be the first Mercury I have ran and I think I am going to have a blast.If things work out I will do a complete repaint on it next winter.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:fired the 500 merc today 12 years 7 months ago #56596

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
You've got her cleaned up and lookin' pretty darn good! I'd highly recommend going through the carbs and fuel pump, check fuel lines before doing any more cranking on the Merc though. (Anything sitting up that long.) No fuel means theres no oil (lube) getting into the "innards" - which can cause damage to bearings, pistons, cylinder bore, etc..) ;)

Hope the surgery goes well, looking forward to more updates.

Mark

Re:fired the 500 merc today 12 years 7 months ago #56605

• Hugh Long
  • Hugh Long's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hey thanks. I used 24:1 to squirt in the carbs to help oil it, but am going to go through all that before I try running it. I know it will fire up , that's all I needed to know for now. When I get back to par I will, as you say , go throught everything in the fuel system. Cure that and then the lower unit and impeller.
Hopfully I will have it looking good by June or so.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6031 guests and no members online