Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: weight of motor

weight of motor 12 years 7 months ago #56339

I have a 17 foot Glasspar. It had a 1966 100 horsepower Mercury on it. I no longer have the motor and getting close to getting a different one. I would like to find one about the same weight as the old Merc or less. I don't remember what it weighed nor can I find that info anywhere on the internet. I'm more concerned about weight then horsepower. For some reason 350 pounds is stuck in my head. Does that sound about right? Does anyone know?
Thank you,
Oldguy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: weight of motor 12 years 7 months ago #56343

sound heavy to me i would think more like 250-265 lbs

Re: weight of motor 12 years 7 months ago #56344

Dave is probably in the correct ballpark. I really need to get a good scale.

The 1000 was made from 1962-1965 Then again in 1968-69 (red colors)

The 66-67 was either a 950 or a 1100.

All the above are basically the same weight. Adding trim and a long shaft adds some to the mix tho.

Conrad

Re: weight of motor 12 years 7 months ago #56352

O.K. I admit I'm probably wrong on the year of the motor, the boat and motor were probably a "package deal" at one point in time, with one being a 1965 and the other being a 1966, it is a Merc 1000 though. (100 horse). Like you said, one year isn't going to make a difference on the weight. Thank you for the response. I don't know why I had the 300+ number in my head.

Re: weight of motor 12 years 7 months ago #56435

my 62 1000 comes in at 295lbs in stock form

Re: weight of motor 12 years 7 months ago #56442

That 295lbs. is what I seem to remember or somewhere in that ballpark. I have never known for sure just what some guy at a marina told me one time. The past couple of weeks I have been getting the 250lb. to your 295lb. range. Other then buying an old manual I don't know how you would find the info. I've searched about every Mercury web site I could find. Thank you for your reply.

Re: weight of motor 12 years 7 months ago #56459

so are you looking to replace with a vintage motor?
If I had the cash lying around I'd repower my boat with a new 90 HP Evinrude E-Tec. With power T&T it comes in only a few pounds more than the stock 62 and they are great motors.

Note to all: Please do not kick me out of the Merc Forum for mentioning not only an Evinrude, but a modern one at that

:laugh:

Re: weight of motor 12 years 7 months ago #56477

You will see in my picture of my Powercat that there are 3 merc 1000s on it. Now when I desided to do the triples I went and looked up weight. My 2 1985 115s that were on the boat weighed 315 each thus 630 lbs. I looked up the weight of a 1963 Merc 1000 and it was 198 lbs. So I gained 70hp and lost 36 lbs. Now as for comments about these weighing 250 or 295 thats way off. I can pick up my engine and carry it accrossed the shop and I weigh 135. If they were that heavy I could not do that lol. When we move one of our 1100SS both my son and I have to carry it so I would say 250 is a good number, the newer the engine the heavier they got.
Cowboy
Attachments:

Re: weight of motor 12 years 7 months ago #56480

Now as for comments about these weighing 250 or 295 thats way off

I weighed my 1965 900 short shaft (same as a 1000) when I got it. Tipped it upside down on the scale, did the same with my 1965 650 (4)

The 900 was in the 260lb range if I remember correctly The 650 4 was not much less.

Now I find it hard to believe a 1962 1000 is over 60lbs lighter than a 1965 900.(1000)

I bet it you put your pre 65 1000's on a scale they might weight more than mercury would like you to think. :)

The advertized weights for a 1500xs short no trim is 285. The long shaft with trim 315.

Im thinking of buying a scale for my lift so I can write down accurate number for each motor I bring in.

Conrad

Re: weight of motor 12 years 7 months ago #56494

AS much as I like the looks of the old vintage Mercury's I have no intention of re-powering with one. The E-tech's do have a good reputation but way to much money for what and how often I use my boat for. Maybe a half dozen times a year at best. I'm not sure what I'm going to get but it is going to half power trim and tilt for sure.

Re: weight of motor 12 years 7 months ago #56495

That is a pretty impressive set-up you got there. I'm sure you get a lot of comments at the boat launch. Nice wide boat too, but would have to be to hold those nice Merc's. How did you figure out which way the props turn, or at least the one in the middle. Or do they all rotate in the same direction? The weight of these motors probably will always be a topic of discussion or debate.

Re: weight of motor 12 years 7 months ago #56496

Thank you for the info. Every bit I can get helps. Having a scale would be the way to go. Was really surprised to find there were so many opinions.

Re: weight of motor 12 years 7 months ago #56545

My 1967 Merc 650 weighs 222 lbs.

Jim Savage

Re: weight of motor 12 years 7 months ago #56553

Did you ever weigh your 6 cyl when you took the 650 off?
Conrad

Re:weight of motor 12 years 7 months ago #56597

There is a considerable difference in weight of the pre 1964 engines as compared to the post '65 ones. In '65 there was a total revamp of the line and the engines got bulkier and heavier as they went to the 'wall of water" sound attenuation in the exhaust, hid the control connections inside the cowl, and had an internal framework for the cowl support. Believe me, there is a difference in weight in these engines you can really feel, and if you put the two side by side there is a big difference in size as well. I would guess the weight of the early 1000 at 245 and the later 1000 at 280. I have a 1964 650 in my shop right now and I can just lift it, but the '69 650 alongside of it, no way... and that is with the lower unit missing!!

Re:weight of motor 12 years 7 months ago #56613

Hum-m-m-m-m???
The 1965 Merc 1000 LS probably weighs about 270ish,...BUT they aren't very heavy.
Thom
Attachments:

Re:weight of motor 12 years 7 months ago #56848

• gary s
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
We ran into the same problem with my Dads Herter boat.His 35hp Merc was getting cranky and at 86 he needed something more realible.Any newer motor of comparable hp was too heavy for that boat.Ended up finding a 03 25hp.Could not be happier,starts faster,idles better and charges the battery too. Seems that power wise they are the same.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6033 guests and no members online