Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Questions on dist. timing

Questions on dist. timing 12 years 7 months ago #55898

I downloaded the files on 'master service manual'. Very good resource, helped me a lot. But I have a few stupid questions, which I probally allready know the answers, but would like a second opinion. The timing mark on my Mk78AE flywheel are exactly as pictured, down to the twin round marks CCW of the line and the single round mark CW. But the top of my distributor does not have the spokes around the cog with a arrow. It is solid plate with a main line radiating from center out, and another about 15 degrees CW. I assume the straight line should align (point towards) the line on the flywheel when 'in time'? What is the second radii? And is there a way to loosen the belt to move the pulley to correct position without pulling the flywheel? On mine the straight horizontal line on the dist. pulley is about 5 teeth to the right of the vertical line on the flywheel. One more ? What type of puller is needed to remove the flywheel, A 3 arm bolt on? THX

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Questions on dist. timing 12 years 7 months ago #55916

take the cover off the pulley and you eill see the arrow look very close it is there.

Re: Questions on dist. timing 12 years 7 months ago #55996

• 65G3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I have some problem with my 70 hp 3 cyl, I pulled the flywheel off to , to re solder some corroded wires. I must be off on the bolt holes when I put the flywheel back on. We put boat in water, and I couldn't get it to plain off, all off a sudden the engine started surging back and forth ,It felt like I was pushing the lever back and forth. A friend said he did the same thing .on his ,so I'll try moving the flywheel back 1 bolt hole.. and if that doesnt do it .. I'll have to go forward 2 bolt holes, I must have the magnets inside the flywheel off .

Re: Questions on dist. timing 12 years 7 months ago #56059

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
65G3; WARNING: Big mistake. You do not unbolt the flywheel from the hub, this is a common misunderstanding. There is a specaial and not expensive puller to remove the flywheel from the crankshaft, it threads into the hub.
Now that you have taken it apart I would not trust the flywheel plate against cracking, or bolts loosening or not clamping correctly, or tht factory balance has been maintained, with soon to be catastophic failure, this could take your head or other bodyparts off, with the RPM the flywheel spins at, no kidding. The bolts need to be replaced with correct fastner strength rating, torqued to correct value and peened in place to the hub, this is what the factory did. Easier still, buy a flywheel and correct puller on e-bay to replace yours. Absolutley not worth the chance of failure, flywheel becomes frisbee death star/ oddjob's hat.
Mark 78 timing: yes, remove the small center bolt from the dist pulley, lift it off and you will see the arrow and the "spokes". The timing belt should not have moved so this relation should not have changed unless you are doubting previous allignment. Generally only needs to be checked during belt replacement or distributor removal/install. Belt can be lifted off this pulley to reallign and slipped back on if needed.
These flywheels need the three bolt puller for removal.

Re: Questions on dist. timing 12 years 7 months ago #56072

• 65G3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
My engine doesn't have any bolt in the center.. Unbolting the flywheel bolt, the flywheel slips right off.. I had it running , No shaking . I've seen the puller you are talking about , but I don't need to use it .

Re: Questions on dist. timing 12 years 7 months ago #56078

if you noticed the bolts are staked from underneth and you cant do it without removing the flywheel.

Re:Questions on dist. timing 12 years 7 months ago #56081

Mine was still in time. I was wondering because the throttle levers on the dist were so far out of adjustment. I readjusted them to get full open throttle plate in forward and a little range in reverse. When I opened the helm control to lube the gear I found out why it was adjusted for no throttle in reverse. All the microswitches were missing and what I thought was a horn button was wired to the forward start wire. Will start another thread on "homemade micro switches"? I allready have some Ideas

Re: Questions on dist. timing 12 years 7 months ago #56082

• 65G3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Mine are right on top in open view ,as soon as you take the cover off they are right there in front of you .. they come right off. Ill have to take a photo for you when it gets warm up here This is a 1970 3 cyl 70 hp , no distributor engine

Re: Questions on dist. timing 12 years 7 months ago #56128

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Sorry Your post read that you were going move it one bolt hole back, I guess I misunderstood what you meant.
Randy

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5663 guests and no members online