• Page:

TOPIC: last of the parts

last of the parts 12 years 7 months ago #55798

• MadProps
  • MadProps's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have found the last of the parts I needed to put this tunnel hull together... fast, loud & obnoxious

I will most likely need another $500 in bolts and bits that I havent seen coming as all projects do but Im ready to start the overhaul on the motor....wish I had a Speedmaster lower unit
Im getting excited about this project

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:last of the parts 12 years 7 months ago #55802

I wish you had a wing plate to put the old style cable pully stystem on that boat.

Did you get solid mounts? If not something to think about while the powerhead is off. For 75 bucks its well worth it while the power head is off. Bruster on SandF supplied mine. And he sells them on ebay I think. But you also need tight steering. Dual cable, sea star hydro or wing plate/cable pulley. My boat danced all over the place with single cable and soft mounts. Even as slow as 50 mph. Once that was fixed it runs 75 with good control.

If I guess correctly that boat will run just into the 60's with that motor. Steering becomes a limiting factor at these speeds. If you got some slop in the steering then its hard to balance the boat and keep it pegged at WOT.

Gonna be pretty awesome. Going to be close to a home brew 1000 BP stacker :)

Also think about carbs. If you run stock carbs/jets keep a close eye on your plugs. The pipes will pull hard and possibly require bigger jets than factory.

Too bad you and Thom are so damn far away
Conrad

Re:last of the parts 12 years 7 months ago #55803

Also it would be interesting to set up and run this boat motor combo WITHOUT pipes first. See what it will do. Then add the pipes and see if there is a performance gain. Big pain I know, but interesting.

Would be hard to not put them on right away.....

If you use the cut lower cowling you could swap them on and off in an hour I bet.

Re:last of the parts 12 years 7 months ago #55805

• MadProps
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
solid mounts are part of the $500 extra parts fund and I do have a dual steering to scavenge off another hull here

I too have thought about the difference in performance gains and since I was going to run the cut cowl you already saw I will do a swap.as you know, I also love to do control tests like this ...BUT you will have to wait Conrad, its like asking a kid to wait a few more hours at xmas

Im not running the water cooling on the pipes so that makes it easier to swap/test....& Im looking it will be a BP stacker clone some day

Re:last of the parts 12 years 7 months ago #55812

FYI a lot of those pipes had water sprayed into the pipe not just for cooling but it improved low and mid range power.

I "think" the water misted/squirted into the pipe makes slightly better backpressure to improve low and mid range torque. One drawback of open pipes was less power on the low end. Racers delt with this by spraying them with water.

All info I have picked up on the internet. No first hand experience.

All of this will probably not be needed with your rig im guessing.
conrad

Re:last of the parts 12 years 7 months ago #55834

Do you have a better pic of the interface block between the pipes and the block?

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:last of the parts 12 years 7 months ago #55836

I agree with Conrad on the solid mounts, Bruster made mine as well. Excellent fit and finish and the difference in handling control is very very noticeable.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:last of the parts 12 years 7 months ago #55844

• MadProps
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Dave

here is the filler block close up you wanted to see
Attachments:

Re:last of the parts 12 years 7 months ago #55854

Thanks, I have seen drawings for the filler plate, and I understand its purpose, just having trouble creating the 3d image in my head. Like Conrad said, too bad you are so far away. I am not sure I understand the fitment of the three pieces...gotta let it dwell some more.

I have design software to create tuned pipes and emulate the results, I would like to experiment on the inline 6 just for fun.

Re:last of the parts 12 years 7 months ago #55855

• MadProps
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Dave

I can make you a video of it being assembled if that will help ?

Re:last of the parts 12 years 7 months ago #55859

If you are doing it anyway that would be great, don,t do it just for me though. I am a fair time away from moving forward with the project. I have the fuel injection front end all done and have a new ecu system in hand to drive it. That is my project for this winter. I promised myself I would actually fish this year. Last year I spent half the season swapping blocks and testing.
This year the 1500 is staying on the boat and I will dedicate a 1150 for testing and fitting.

Re:last of the parts 12 years 7 months ago #55860

• MadProps
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

I promised myself I would actually fish this year. Last year I spent half the season swapping blocks and testing.

I feel your pain, last year I did the same thing, I rebuilt 4 MK55's & a MK58 ....setup a GW Invader and sold the boat, wasnt exciting enough
then setup the new 12ft picklefork with a rebuilt merc400 , it too was too boring , so I am going over the top with this project so I can be satisfied & I can just play this year.

I will make you a video as I assemble no worries

Re:last of the parts 12 years 7 months ago #55876

Want to do my 58??? Just trying to help you feel better:-) Joe

Re:last of the parts 12 years 7 months ago #56316

I maintain that you will not be happy on the water, you want to fly!

Re:last of the parts 12 years 7 months ago #56318

• MadProps
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
headley wrote:

I maintain that you will not be happy on the water, you want to fly!

I do, anytime I can borrow one of my buddies planes,you will recognize the barn and river as I flyby the place to say hi to the fam and let them know I was on the way home....I will take you up next time you visit, but you may get sick the way I fly :lol:
& my pal is getting some floats for one of his planes, Im really excited to try that

Re:last of the parts 12 years 7 months ago #56319

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Truly a man of many talents.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6008 guests and no members online