• Page:

TOPIC: Question for Conrad

Question for Conrad 12 years 7 months ago #55565

• Neil
  • Neil's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I ran across a 1500XS this past weekend. Short shaft, louvered cowl, red stripes.
It is on an old Raysoncraft.
I did not have my camera and the guy was real quick to run me past it. I did not get a chance to look it over well.
I saw a louvered cowl, T/T, AutoBlend, stainless prop, the hull and trailer.
He said $3000 for the whole works.
Limited info, but what am I looking at?
Neil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re: Question for Conrad 12 years 7 months ago #55669

Sorry for the delay. Sometimes this site does not let me on and I forget to check in.

I dont know boats well, so Raysoncraft does not ring a bell.

Unless the boat is a great example and in great shape, then then most of the value is put on the shoulders of the motor.

3k for an average 1500xs that run but needs some work is high IMO. Ive watched a handfull of decent 1500xs's sell over the past 3 years and I dont think any of them sold even close to 3k.

I personally think they are worth 3k, but the economy is not permitting it. It needs to have the special low water pick up lower unit (water intake under by skeg) Louvered cowls, Short shaft and J bock. to be a true 1500xs. Make sure the block ser # matches the tag ser #. If its missing any of the above the price goes down fast.

For 3k the motor better be spotless matching and complete or the boat makes the deal sweet. If the boat is nothing special and the 1500xs is in good shape but sleepy and in need of rings seals paint. 1/2 his asking price is closer. Post a pic if you have time, this will help us decide its condition and completeness.

Re:Question for Conrad 12 years 7 months ago #55684

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Neil,
I play in the XS and 1500 worlds so decided I could chime in also. I agree with everything Conrad stated price wise. Check those SN's and "J" stamping on block near SN. Look on transfer port cover side of motor. Check lower unit oil color. Compression test mandatory on these motors at those prices. #1 and #3 are always suspect. Internal wire harnesses are typically bad, new are available but run about150 maybe less depending on how friendly dealer is pricing wise. Look at stator wires too.
A very good vented wrap is 300 to 400 depending on buyer, lowers are about 400 to 500 with low water pick-up again depending on buyer for what ever that's worth.
I am confused about the autoblend part of your post, no auto blend on the in line XS's maybe a mis-statement.
Other things to verify on motor is Switchbox number if you can read it, a -25 should appear on the white tag if on there. Trim and tilt stuff needs to be good as well.
It is easy to blow past the "value" of these motors if needing service or parts so buy it cause you want it not as a possible money maker.
Raysoncraft as a CA builder made mostly flatbottom v-drives in the 50's 60's 70's with a few look alike outboards. Some were wood, some where glass hulls wood decks some where all glass. Very well known in vintage flat bottom circles. Again, non of this stuff is worth much despite rarity, it's just the way it is.
Randy

Re:Question for Conrad 12 years 7 months ago #55725

• Neil
  • Neil's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Conrad and Randy
Thank you for the information.
I have been rounding up mostly the old stuff (57-65).
So I am still just learning about the bigger, newer, performance towers.
And yes it did have a tank that said Autoblend in the back under the splashwell. I thought this was unusual. Someone looking to toast a powerhead! Or perhaps the reservoir for the T/T? Again, I was sort of hurried past this so I didn,t get a real good look.
The bad part here for me is that it is so far away. But with the information, I will be able to make a better assessment of what this guy really has when I get back out there. It may be gone by then.
I am not really interested in the boat or trailer, so hopefully he will be more realistic about the motor value if it truly is a 1500XS.
Again, thanks.
I will surely be following up on this with a camera!
This guy also has a 64 1000 long shaft complete, a 67 1100SS with no lower unit and a mid to late 70's(?) Mariner 115 tower with T/T complete. He is a small repair shop. Also lots of the older NLA gaskets and parts.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Question for Conrad 12 years 7 months ago #55737

The autoblend system is a seperate unit put on the mid to late 80's motors. The last 1150 came with an autoblend system if you wanted.

It mixed oil and gas before it entered the motor. So this system can be added to any old merc that needs 50-1 oil mix. They are notorious for not working correctly. I have a 1150 that had autoblend that quit working. The pistons are nearly welded to the block.

For 3k I doubt it will be gone:) They are one of the most iconic classic performance outboards of all time IMO.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5857 guests and no members online