Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Kill switch wiring

Kill switch wiring 12 years 8 months ago #55128

I finally got a kill switch yesterday, but wonder if I have a handle on wiring it.

This is the diagram they gave me. That's it, no instructions of any kind otherwise:

I'm just guessing here, but it looks to me like I ignore the "M" posts and use the "C" ones. I run a y-wire from the positive posts of my two coils to one side, and a y-wire from the negative posts of my two coils to the other side?

I know these can be wired into the back of the keyed ignition switch, but I do not want to pull my control box apart. Running directly to the coils seems easier to me sitting here on this winter morning. Whadya'all think?

Frank
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Kill switch wiring 12 years 8 months ago #55147

And the kill switch is for ?. Is it a lanyard type or a merc style for the engine when it kicks up out of the water? Just alittle more info there Frank. Somebody here will more than likely know what it is and how to wire it. Skip.

Re:Kill switch wiring 12 years 8 months ago #55153

It's a lanyard type from NAPA (pn 751-1132) Skip, like this...
Attachments:

Re:Kill switch wiring 12 years 8 months ago #55170

Frank,

I wired one of these switches to my '63 850 (I think you have a 1000 of about the same year?).

I forget which posts on the switch I used, but two of them are normally open when the lanyard is in place (probably the coil/C terminals)... these posts i wired to the tilt mercury switch (terminal block) on the port side of the motor. So when the lanyard is pulled, the switch closes killing the ignition.

Dean

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:Kill switch wiring 12 years 8 months ago #55174

Thanks Dean, but my Mercury switch was disabled years ago (not by me), and I have no idea what they even look like!

Frank

Re:Kill switch wiring 12 years 8 months ago #55182

Sorry about the quality of my cell phone photo here... but this shows the mercury tilt switch, and the terminals where it connects. When those two terminals are shorted it kills the spark. I was given this advice by the good Dr. Frankenmerc, and it works like a champ.

It doesnt matter that your mercury tilt switch is disabled, just use the terminals it used to connect to. You can easily test this by running the engine and shorting the terminals, you can see that it will kill the engine.
Attachments:

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:Kill switch wiring 12 years 8 months ago #55197

Thanks Dean, I'll pull out the old motor this week and check it out. It's on a stand in my shop, but buried!

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5963 guests and no members online