• Page:

TOPIC: "Dockbuster"

"Dockbuster" 12 years 9 months ago #52636

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
OK, I give up. I have this vision of a beautiful restore ramming into a concrete pier. Just what exactly is a docbuster and what gives it the name?
Cal
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: "Dockbuster" 12 years 9 months ago #52641

For a few years Carl refused to put full gearshift into the lower units of his motors.
Instead he went with a motor that would run backwards to get reverse !!
So coming to a dock you had to stop the motor and manipulate the controls.
You hoped it would start up again in reverse mode.
Sometimes they did not.
There was also a bit less drag internally in a dockbuster and performance was always an issue with Carl.

Re: "Dockbuster" 12 years 9 months ago #52642

here is a video of Milkduds "dockbuster " in action at about the one minute mark he shows how it starts backward for reverse . if you aren't careful with throttle position when you hit the start button "boom into the dock"

Re:"Dockbuster" 12 years 9 months ago #52663

The Dockbuster was a marvil in its self. A motor that would run in both directions and you didnt have to worry about blowing out gears. It took alot of time to learn how to use this motor so that you did not damage your boat. A properly set up one would be a joy to use and a poorly setup one would be a nightmare. It took some time to find just the right spot on the throttle to set it at so when you hit the key you wouldn't take off at a highrate of speed. the same for starting it in reverse.The 3 main things to remember when starting a Dockbuster are 1 Be pointed in the direction you wanted to go, 2 Donot be tied to the dock, 3 Hang on to the wheel.

:P Skip.

Re:"Dockbuster" 12 years 9 months ago #52668

I'm curious. How did the cooling water system work in the dockbuster? How did they get it to pump water while running in reverse? Matt

Re:"Dockbuster" 12 years 9 months ago #52670

There are 2 rubber flaps in the water pump and depending on direction of rotation of the engine one opens and the other stays shut.

Re:"Dockbuster" 12 years 9 months ago #52680

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Holy smokes. Pity anyone standing on the bow casting off lines. Hard to imagine a beginner water skier learning behind something like that.
Thanks for the answers, makes for interesting conversation.
How many years did they make them and what models so I know what to stay away from in a future adventure. :laugh:

Re:"Dockbuster" 12 years 9 months ago #52691

Now why would you want to stay away from one of the finer motors that Carl designed. These were made up to 80 hp and were really nice to ski behind. I ican,t remember if it was 62 or 63 for the last yr built. One thing I have allways wanted to know, Has anyone ever tryed to pull start one of these motors? Skip.

Re:"Dockbuster" 12 years 9 months ago #52697

YEP ! and i was only 12. they are easier to start pulling than twins and fours they fire 6 times per revolution set up right you could start 10 times on one rope length.dont ask how i know i did it.

Re:"Dockbuster" 12 years 9 months ago #52698

YEP ! ad i was only 12. they are easier to start pulling than twins and fours they fire 6 times per revolution set up right you could start 10 times on one rope length.dont ask how i know i did it.

Re:"Dockbuster" 12 years 9 months ago #52717

They do actually pull start pretty easy. The MK 78 in the video starts with just a slight tug on the rope when warm. When cold probably the second pull.

They are a long dead pull. Each cyl is coming in and out of compression so Its more of a dead pull instead of thump thump thump of a 2 or 4 cyl.

And

1957 first year MK 75
1958 MK 78 and MK 75
1959 MK 78a and MK 75a
1960 600 700 and 800
1961 600 700 and 800

I think that is the list.
Conrad

Re:"Dockbuster" 12 years 9 months ago #52718

Re:"Dockbuster" 12 years 9 months ago #52719

Re:"Dockbuster" 12 years 9 months ago #52720

Re:"Dockbuster" 12 years 9 months ago #52722

Re:"Dockbuster" 12 years 9 months ago #52729

yep, you got the yrs right there Milkdud. I looked through my info and it comes up with the same yrs. Iguess one has to just find the sweet spot on the throttle for starting them. I know the one I had backin the early 70s was a bear to start.

Re:"Dockbuster" 12 years 9 months ago #52732

they had to be tuned/timed correctly, 2 sets of points made it more challenging

Re:"Dockbuster" 12 years 9 months ago #52770

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
Back in the 80's I picked up a 700E "Dockbuster" off the Little Nickel want ads for $25, complete with controls!

Cleaned out the plugged-up water pump, serviced the points & set the dwell up per factory specs, threw 'er on this old 13.5' Sea-King runabout we had kicking around and went skiing!

That ol Beast would deep-water-start a slalom skier with ease, and my buddy's head was spinning after a particularly vigorous take-off from the ramp, I nailed it and he had taken too many coils for his step-start! Some dudes were on the shore laughing at our old boat and older motor, so we certainly had to show them up. They were quite surprised when he went rocketing off from the shore!

We had a lot of fun with that little Tower of Power, and as the O.P.'s said when they're tuned properly they start every time. Getting that points dwell perfect is the key, along with carb adjustments.

Never broke even one dock!!!

Cheers.........ed

Re:"Dockbuster" 12 years 9 months ago #53406

I would kill to have one in my collection. One badass engine and a absolute joy to drive.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.381 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5709 guests and no members online