• Page:

TOPIC: plug wires

plug wires 12 years 10 months ago #51115

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
On the '59 Mark 58 I want to replace the plug wires. Can I use newer auto wires or do I need the solid core??
Tks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:plug wires 12 years 10 months ago #51116

you need the solid core, and you can buy automotive solid core for Racing I got mine at summit racing, you may find them local at the performance shops

also available at eastcoastmarine.com

Re:plug wires 12 years 10 months ago #51127

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Some lawnmower repair shops carry it, cheaper than marine outlets.

Re:plug wires 12 years 10 months ago #51194

What is the difference and why does it matter?

Re:plug wires 12 years 10 months ago #51195

What is the difference and why does it matter?

solid core wires are far superior electrical conductors which delivers a superior spark and why its used pretty much exclusively in high performance racing applications.
we are all about hotter spark with 2 strokes and the oil we burn

additionally Ive tried and found that although they work in the short run the automotive wires cores being so soft its difficult to maintain a strong bite between the brass set screws that secure the wires into the mercury distributor cap due to the constant rotation of the magneto

Re:plug wires 12 years 10 months ago #51275

Thank you sir! Makes sense. I got my wires from oldmercs.com back in the day - I wonder what they are..... I'll have to check

Re:plug wires 12 years 10 months ago #51318

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Who wudda thunk it...
Went to some small engine shops, no solid wire.
Went to local auto supply shops, no solid wire.
Went to a local performance shop, none on hand.
Finally out of desperation I went to one of the local outboard dealers...TA DA, hyponoid(?) solid, copper core wire. Had a spool of it sold by the foot, $1.49. Got 7 Ft just for drill, only needed 6. He wanted $6 apiece for the boots and connectors though, said that I would get a better deal at an auto supply. went to Bumper/Bumper and picked up 4 boots and connector tips. Whole ignition wire set less than $20.

Re:plug wires 12 years 10 months ago #51321

after all the running around how much did it cost you? price of gas and time.

Re:plug wires 12 years 10 months ago #51326

It's the thrill of the chase!

Re:plug wires 12 years 10 months ago #51328

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Actually not much distance involved. The "Frozen Tundra" is not that big of an area but we're loaded with local shops. I was also on a run for my msgr svc so milage is deductable. Probably less than 25 miles so my Jeeper gets 21mpg another $3.50. Also had stops on the honey do list. Like Peter said, thrill of the chase also gets in there. Love finding things that make a challenge. West Marine is a bit further though, about 56 miles one way and their store hours are unpredictable. Stopped at their store this afternoon only to find out they were closed on Mondays! It was on the way of another run so no loss there. Looking for the windshield rubber trim.

Re:plug wires 12 years 10 months ago #51351

• Ron G
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I think that JC Whitney still carries some of that stuff if you want to shop there.Ron G

Re:plug wires 12 years 10 months ago #51356

I thought that several pointers were left out, or unspoken here.
First, on the Kiekhaefer magneto discussed here, there are o-rings on each spark plug wire, which seal their exit from the distributor cap. In my experience, these are sometimes damaged, and new ones are a wise idea.
Second, the distributor cap's center spring-loaded carbon brush should be inspected for excessive wear. A new one is approximately 25/64 inch long (slightly over 3/8 inch) in total length (counting the reduced diameter area where the spring is retained). If noticeably shorter, there likely will be a poor connection with the center contact of the rotor. Please consider a new one then.
Third, replace the gasket, if needed, between the distributor cap and magneto body cover.
Fourth, use care with the tab washers used to retain the hex-headed machine screws retaining the distributor cap. To prevent cracking the distributor cap or body cover, these screws are not to be over-tightened, and the tab washers prevent these from vibrating loose.
Fifth, ensure that the grounding strap from the crankcase cover to the magneto is present and in good condition. If a piece of insulated wire has been substituted, there is the possibility that the wire strands are broken inside the wire insulation from the magneto's back and forth movement. A replacement may be required.
With a little forethought and care, these possible trouble areas will be avoided.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:plug wires 12 years 10 months ago #51371

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Joe, thanks for the tips. I checked everything out as you said, the o rings are flexable and tight, the carbon rods are good, the screws are snugged up but I ran into one problem and don't know if I forgot a part or this spring fell from my bench.
I'll post another query about it also.
Cal
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5507 guests and one member online