• Page:

TOPIC: mark 58AE wire harness

mark 58AE wire harness 12 years 10 months ago #50169

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Ok, I'm going through the wiring and finding that all of it is rotten and brittle. The wires are bare as they go into the rubber connector mount on the engine. Is this fixable? I found another harness on a site but it is for a newer model and wondering if it would fit. The original part number is 26129. I'm looking at part number 23920.
Here's the site.
www.lmmarine.net/pages/OemParts?aribrand=EJP#%2fMercury_Marine%2fMARK_55%2c_55E_ALL_(MARK)%2fRECTIFIER%2c_STARTER_SOLENOID_AND_WIRING_HARNESS%2f07-002-46124-150%2fMARK46124200G14

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:mark 58AE wire harness 12 years 10 months ago #50170

Hi, I recently aquired a mark 78AE. Will probally redo all the wiring and cables. My thought was to get the wiring diagrams and build a harness myself, I did it for a V.W. when I was a kid. I'm new to this boat thing, but love to learn

Re:mark 58AE wire harness 12 years 10 months ago #50171

Hi, I recently aquired a mark 78AE. Will probally redo all the wiring and cables. My thought was to get the wiring diagrams and build a harness myself, I did it for a V.W. when I was a kid. I'm new to this boat thing, but love to learn

Re:mark 58AE wire harness 12 years 10 months ago #50202

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Seems like Jonrude and Merc use the same type of wire. I had to rewire a 55 rude with the exact problems this Merc has. I'm trying this trick I've done before that worked.

Here is the rotten wire harness.

Took a dental pick under the mag glass and cleaned out all the crumbling gunk. Put heat shrink tube on the wires, double layered tight to the fitting.

For extra measure added liquid rubber tape to seal the whole works and keep it from pulling apart. Had to replace two wires that were crumbling and put new terminals on the others.
Attachments:

Re:mark 58AE wire harness 12 years 10 months ago #50212

Excellent Cal. I may have to do that with the harness on the, new to me, Rudes I got.

Bob

Re:mark 58AE wire harness 12 years 10 months ago #51474

hi,just food for thought,CDI makes replacement harness for the old mercs,both motr side & boat side,a little pricey but new.

Re:mark 58AE wire harness 12 years 10 months ago #51475

Hi,
Although we do sell CDI products, and think pretty highly of most, I personally do not like their Mercury wiring harnesses for pre 1980 models. The motor side harnesses do not have the molded-in feature to help retain them to the bottom cowl. They have been made from a stiffer material (these are plug-ins which seal to each other to keep out water). They are intended for models from the 1970's, and their wire color codes are generally way off for the older models. All of the above to some extent can be dealt with with varing success, but so far, we strongly prefer to use nicer used ones, new old stock, or new harnesses from Mercury. The pricing is usually pretty small most of the time. My $0.02.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5300 guests and one member online