TOPIC: 1963 Mercury 850 rehab

1963 Mercury 850 rehab 12 years 10 months ago #49550

• PSUrandy
  • PSUrandy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Greetings!

First time user and poster! I picked up a `63 850 for next to nothing last week and I'm pretty pumped about getting it back on the water. It looks complete execpt for the cowl wrap and front cover, which I am looking for. The first thing I did was pull the plugs, spray some deep creep in the cylinders and up into the carbs. I connected a battery to it and turned it over, resprayed it and reinstalled the plugs. It sat for a few days, and today I removed the plugs again, turned the engine over with the starter and did a compression test with the throttle wide open, I got between 140 and 145 on all cylinders. I thought those results were great! I did a compression test on my `75 Merc 500 is fall after using it this summer and got the same results, I'm very pleased!

I then checked to see if I had spark, I did, but it seemed weak. I pulled the dizzy off and attempted to removed the rotor from the shaft, I don't have the Merc tool so I did the best with what I had. I managed to break the rotor somewhat, but it did come off. The one set of points looks like it has grease on it, the other looked about the same. I'm not sure what I am going to do with the ignition system yet. I read a thread about pertronix setup, or using a thunderbolt system from a later engine......not sure yet...

Anyway, I had some more specific questions. Lower units, would any newer large gear case fit this motor? Like 1973 650 and larger? Power trim, my factory Merc manual (66-74) says the dual cylinder power trim system fits Merc 500 and larger, but to fit it to a `65 or earlier, you need a heavy duty swivle bracket. I have available to me a complete system from a 70s 1150 thats complete from lower unit to top of the exhaust housing (no powerhead) Can I use that system on my motor?
Thanks!

Randy
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1963 Mercury 850 rehab 12 years 10 months ago #49571

Is this red55stdabkr Randy?
Does the PSU refer to a college in Tacoma, WA?

I have plenty of those rotors if yours is fubar.
YES,...The power trim system you have is an easy retro-fit to your 850, which already has the heavy duty swivel assembly.

YES,...The later model lower units off an inline-6 or big 4 cyls like the 650 4cyl, 800 & 850 4 cyl Mercs will fit your 850 TIGER assembly with troublesome alterations unless you install that '70s power trim.
With the power trim installed - you will just need to swap out the lower shift shaft in the lower unit. No other alterations required.
Don't attempt to R&R the lower shift shaft without first reviewing instructions though.

Unless you have a very heavy hull you will probably want to pass on the lower units off the 800 & 850 4 cyl Mercs as they have a lower gear ratio than the 850 TIGER is commonly 'happy' with.

The cool thing about upgrading to a late '70s - '80s lower unit is that most of them have all stainless shafts - while your 850 was originally equipped with a steel driveshaft & propshaft.
Steel and water results in seal failures.

I haven't looked for a decent wrap or face for you yet, but it is on my list.
Thom
Shelton, WA 98584

Re:1963 Mercury 850 rehab 12 years 10 months ago #49666

• PSUrandy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the reply Thom. Yes, I'm the same guy that ed forwarded you my contact info. PSU is for Penn State, which is currently in the national news for all the wrong reasons, its very troubling and upsetting for me....

Anyway, thanks for the good information. Are you saying my 850 already has the heavy duty swivel assembly? I'll probably use that power trim off that other motor and save the lower unit if I need it, if thats the case.

Thanks for looking for those parts. I think I'll hold off on the rotor for now. I got a complete dizzy from a `67 1000 electronic setup that I might try to use with a CDI switchbox and coil combo. I just need to figure out a harness, and add a degree lable to time it in.
Thanks again!

Randy

Re:1963 Mercury 850 rehab 12 years 10 months ago #49699

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome to FG Randy, think I recognize you from the Glastron site!? Lots of good folks here too, very helpful as you can already see. We'd love to see some pics of your boat(s) in the General forum, when you get a chance. ;)

Mark

Re:1963 Mercury 850 rehab 12 years 10 months ago #49740

• PSUrandy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Mark- Yes, I'm on the Glastron site. I saw your boat made the homepage, very nice. I'm thinking about putting this motor on a GT-150 I have.
Thanks!

Randy

Re:1963 Mercury 850 rehab 12 years 10 months ago #49784

Randy,
Yes - your 850 comes with the correct swivel assembly.
Here is an example of how it will look.
Top picture is of a 700FGS long shaft with '70s PT.
Next picture is of an 800FGS short shaft with '70s PT.
These (2) models of Merc use the same relative components as the 850E-1 (your motor).
I did both retro-fits.
Thom
and,...Both have been upgraded to mid'70s solid state ignition too.
:)
Attachments:

Re:1963 Mercury 850 rehab 12 years 10 months ago #50067

• PSUrandy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I've got a few questions about my motor....

-Is omc white a close enough "shade" of white? or can you still get "cloud white"?

-I don't have the lifting eye that threads into the flywheel, can I put lifting straps around the "bumper ring" around the bottom of the cowl?

-To the guys using thunderbolt ignition, are you using a stock timing decal from another motor and placing it on the stock flywheel? You would also have to mount a temporary pointer.
Thanks!

Randy

Re:1963 Mercury 850 rehab 12 years 10 months ago #50094

",...Is omc white a close enough "shade" of white?"
Shame on you Randy!!! Don't you know that it is EVIL to use OMC in any Mercury discussion???
:laugh:

A fellow researched this issue and originally posted to John's Q&A, then I received the following from MadProps:

"PPG color 3398 may need flattening to look like the original Cloud White
An alternative suggested is 1992 Volkswagon color Cashmere White.
PPG 91786 'Dover White' was also suggested by someone as an alternative to Cloud White."

Thom
Attachments:

Re:1963 Mercury 850 rehab 12 years 10 months ago #50269

• PSUrandy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I should have known better to bring up those 3 letters! If it makes you feel any better, I'm converting my `79 Glastron from *** to Mercruiser!

Anyway, I did have an additional question to the ones above. What props will fit my `63 tower of power?
Thanks!

Randy

Re:1963 Mercury 850 rehab 12 years 10 months ago #50272

Try a FORD colour
Whimbledon White
said to be a match.

Re:1963 Mercury 850 rehab 12 years 10 months ago #50513

Randy,
Most any full gear shift model inline 6 Merc and the 4 cyl 800, 850, & 650 props will fit, but the complicating factor is if you have the original lower unit with a square cut shoulder on the prop shaft for the bronze bell-shaped thrust washer to seat against you will be limited in your prop selection due to several different prop hub styles that have come along through the years unless you fabricate your own thrust washer for some of the later model props.
Mercruiser and v6 props use the same 15 spline prop shaft BUT they have a larger hub - or body - to their props so they will NOT work on the inline-6.
Will your current prop come off the prop shaft?
Thom

Re:1963 Mercury 850 rehab 12 years 10 months ago #50596

professor Try a FORD colour

Whimbledon White
said to be a match.

Readily available at NAPA in poof cans.

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:1963 Mercury 850 rehab 12 years 10 months ago #50639

• PSUrandy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
The prop came off without a problem, someone put antiseize on the prop shaft, smart move. It appears to have that thrust washer you are talking about. My current prop has a chuck out of it, and its probably repairable. I'm not sure of the size, the hub is hard to read, but its stamped 19P on the outside, assuming 19" pitch? I'll have to measure the diameter.

I also got the motor mounted on my engine stand. Currently its shifted in forward, but it won't shift into neutral, I'm guessing I may have a lower unit issue, not sure yet. Is there a hex head bolt holding the trim tab to the lower unit? The hole is full of mud....Here are some new pics, thats my `79 Glastron SSV177, in the process of going from @&$ to Mercruiser.
Thanks!

Attachments:

Re:1963 Mercury 850 rehab 12 years 10 months ago #50640

did you retard the mag before shifting? dig the mudd out of the allen bolt with a thin screw driver.

Re:1963 Mercury 850 rehab 12 years 10 months ago #50646

• PSUrandy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeah, throttle back at idle. I never had one that wouldn't come out of forward. Something might be rusted in the shifter, who knows the last time it ran.

Re:1963 Mercury 850 rehab 12 years 10 months ago #50715

Randy,
If it won't come out of Forward gear, try tilting up the Merc, and then shift it out of Forward.
If it shifts fine tilted up, shift it back into Forward and THEN tilt the Merc back down & see if it will shift out of Forward after following these steps carefully.
If so - the Merc was simply tilted down while in Neutral rather than in Forward gear and the reverse locks got caught in the dowqn position - restricting the ability to shift out of Forward.
Let us know.
Thom

Re:1963 Mercury 850 rehab 12 years 10 months ago #51117

• PSUrandy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Nope, that didn't work. I'll have to remember to bring my air nozzle to blow the dirt out of the bolt head. What is the correct size of the socket head cap screw?

I'm pretty sure it will work, but will a thunderbolt coil from my lightning energizer 500 work with a battery igntion thunderbolt CD box? I have several extra switchboxes, coils, and igntion drivers for the 500 Mercs.....

Has anyone dealt with the guy who has an ad on craigslist who has stuff for 50s to 70s outboards? I'm going to Dublin, Ohio this week for work and thought it would be a shame not to stop by and see what he has.
Thanks!

Randy

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5298 guests and one member online