Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mercury Mark 58 good?

Mercury Mark 58 good? 12 years 11 months ago #48049

Hi,
I have a chance to get a Mercury Mark 58, don't know much about motors but it runs. Does anyone know what its worth? Are parts hard to find and is it a good engine to have?
I appreciate any comments!
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Mercury Mark 58 good? 12 years 11 months ago #48051

Most sought after of the vintage 4 cyl

price depends where you live My area $375 -500 depending on condition ,used parts available...some parts available new

Re:Mercury Mark 58 good? 12 years 11 months ago #48054

Thanks! Do you know what a great, good, bad compression would be for this type of engine?

Re:Mercury Mark 58 good? 12 years 11 months ago #48063

110 psi is probably the minimum. You want them to read even across the board. 125-130psi is better. I have one 44 block that pushes 145psi....

Conrad

Re:Mercury Mark 58 good? 12 years 11 months ago #48102

120 was factory new.

Re:Mercury Mark 58 good? 12 years 11 months ago #48117

I just had one restored by Darrel in Illinois for a '58 Feather Craft Vagabond II. It's an awesome running motor. It's my favorite Mercury model. I've seen fully restored (flawless) ones go for over $3,000. If you can get a running one less than $500, I wouldn't pass it up.

Re:Mercury Mark 58 good? 12 years 11 months ago #49030

Thanks for the replies! Very helpful. That motor sounds awesome!
Well according to the Owner it turns out the motor ran with muffs the last time it was tested 15 years ago. Its been sitting in his shed ever since. Now he tells me I can't compression test it because it has no lubrication, since it has sat so long.

Since I don't know much about motors is he right or is he scamming me? I know I should walk away but any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks

Re:Mercury Mark 58 good? 12 years 11 months ago #49031

sounds like if it cant be compression tested its seized and he just wont say the words
if so its a parts motor......$200 or walk
squirt oil in the plug holes if it will turn over, then test it

Re:Mercury Mark 58 good? 12 years 11 months ago #49111

Is this motor close to you? If so go look at it, see if you can pull the start cord, that will tell you if it is locked up, if it is locked up it is a parts motor only. If it is not locked up chances are it should be gone through mechanicaly anyway, so I normally am not real concerned about compression readings. Check the cosmetics of the motor, what kind of shape is the stainless wrap in, how is the front cover, and on and on. The cosmetic parts are sometimes harder to find then the mechanical parts.

Darrell

Re:Mercury Mark 58 good? 12 years 9 months ago #53423

Thanks for the replies! I got the motor and have been reading as much as possible about it. The previous owner did some work on it to get it closer to being tested, he cleaned the carbs, changed the points and oiled it up. The stater cord can now be pulled. Cosmetically it looks in great shape,it also has the flip up light on the back.
Being a newbie I also got another motor to learn on its a Merc kf-5 super 5, 1949. I plan on taking this one apart to getting some experience and knowledge.
I know I'm a ways away from working on the mark 58, but I want to keep me eyes out for a parts motor, are there any other motors that have the same parts or close to the mark 58?
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve

Re:Mercury Mark 58 good? 12 years 9 months ago #53425

You stated that it has a flip up lite on the rear of the hood. Be really carefull with the lite as they are impossible to find any more . They are pretty well priceless nowadays. If you can post some pics of the motor and lite. Skip.

Re:Mercury Mark 58 good? 12 years 9 months ago #53426

Otter when did you see a MK 58 bring 3k? Good MK 55H motors barely bring that. Expecially recently. I could expect 1-1.5k for a flawless one.

Conrad

Re:Mercury Mark 58 good? 12 years 9 months ago #53435

Skip,
Heres a few pics. 1st pics hopefully this works.

Steve

update: pics to big, will try to fix
Attachments:

Re:Mercury Mark 58 good? 12 years 9 months ago #53448

Conrad, is there a way to private message on the forum? I can't seem to find that feature. I don't want to name-drop.

Steve, do you wanna sell that light? ;)

Re:Mercury Mark 58 good? 12 years 9 months ago #53450

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Looks nice! Hows the compression?

Re:Mercury Mark 58 good? 12 years 9 months ago #53452

Otter. Not sure here is my email if you like.

snapshot one two zero zero two AT yahoo.com

Replace my words with direct numbers and plug it into one address.

Re:Mercury Mark 58 good? 12 years 9 months ago #53458

Nice lite setup there. Looks like you scored big time on this one. Thanks for the pics. Skip.

Re:Mercury Mark 58 good? 12 years 9 months ago #53487

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
..STEVE.: Great score, CONGRATS.. Those are killer graphics/ colors. Sort of jealous.. Way to go N.Y. We are prior Poughkeepsie.. Did you get any control / shift box.?? . Yes flip light icing on cake.

.I brought one home 4 days ago, early 1958 serial # from original owner family , estate package on this Al speedster , so I guess the motor was about $100 of my package.. GOt TWO Three blade bronze props. NOS mag points in bag.. Got the starter motor turning yesterday. Need to paint back to your colors..Can you post MORE PICS.!!

Re:Mercury Mark 58 good? 12 years 9 months ago #53564

Is the Mark 58 any good? Are you kidding me? That thing will give you nothing but grief and your wife and kids will leave you. Best thing to do is to sell it to me fast and I will get rid of it for you, you will never be bothered by it again!

Re:Mercury Mark 58 good? 12 years 9 months ago #53912

Ihave a mark58 merk on a 1958 Fiberform Runabout, all orig, engine and boat were stored inside for 27 years, it only required water pump impeler, magneto points cleaning, it runs great, very very fast classic.

Re:Mercury Mark 58 good? 12 years 8 months ago #54223

don't sell that light, you will be sorry. I have 3, only one with the original crystal, you have the complete original package, keep it.

I first saw an illustration in a catalog and decided to see if I could find it. Found one in Texas (I am in Washington), offered him $50 for it, he agreed...he hasn't spoke to me since.

Rare as hens teeth. The gravity switch may be froze, all mine were.

nice find.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.224 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5773 guests and no members online