• Page:

TOPIC: Water Pick-up change?

Water Pick-up change? 12 years 11 months ago #47261

• Aku-Aku
  • Aku-Aku's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
When did Mercury go from a water pick-up at the trim tab to the holes where you can use an ear muff flush device? I have a '62 700 long shaft with the later style but have another '62 and a '61 with the earlier style. Wondering about interchange of parts among them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Water Pick-up change? 12 years 11 months ago #47265

63 yours could be a replaced lower.

Re:Water Pick-up change? 12 years 11 months ago #47334

Hi,
To add to Dave's comments, the 1962 Merc 700 has three versions of the water intake. The first and second do enter from the trim tab, but with the first, it enters into the water pump upper housing, with the second, the water pump base. You have the third, which did continue in 1963 to all of Mercury's larger models. Obviously, the interchange of parts between them, depends on the parts, as there are other changes to consider.
A 1961 would be a Direct Reversing model, and would have very few lower unit parts shared, if any.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:Water Pick-up change? 12 years 11 months ago #47348

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Impellors will interchange. Gaskets are slightly different, upper lower housings are different. "Old Mercs marine" has both sets of gaskets. You will find 61 is trim tab, 62 shows with trim tab in catalog but there was some overlap in 62/63I believe anyways as Merc switched to the side pick-up style. Certainly by 64 all were side pick-up. This is based on catalog pictures and seeing original motors, but don't take it as gospel.
If you want to run the trim tab style, on the hose remove the trim tab and there is a flat plate "ear muff" that can be used to clear the prop nad alos provide water to the opening. It has small fingers that clamp to the avitation plate.
I use one but forget where I got it, I think it was from Bob Grubb years ago when he owned his marine store (now Old Mercs) It was a standared piece designed for the smaller outboards but worked fine on this set up.
Randy

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5605 guests and no members online