What am I doing wrong? 13 years 1 week ago #45418

• 59Hustler
  • 59Hustler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Setting max timing on 1960 merc 400.
set the piston to .235
connected the continuity tester to primary switch post.
advanced the magneto all the way through its arc the continuity light never went out.
Kill switch and mercury switch removed from primary switch post.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:What am I doing wrong? 13 years 1 week ago #45423

• tim_c
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Let me first ask a Question. Does it have spark ??? Sounds to me like there's a short in the Mag. possibly the coil or condenser.

Re:What am I doing wrong? 13 years 1 week ago #45438

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Runs fine at idle. Has a good spark but falls on its face at wot.

Re:What am I doing wrong? 13 years 6 days ago #45925

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
How do I remove the coil from the K4D magneto?
I have a new one on order but would like to take a shot at fixing this one. I believe that there may be some insulation flaked off the primary coil. I get 1 ohm from ground to the primary grounding post with the points open.
On page 10 of the Ignition section of the mercury manual it give the coil resistance of the various magnetos however it does not show a primary resistance for the K4d magneto coil. This makes me believe there should be no way to test the primary coil resistance it is probably isolated from ground on one end.

Re:What am I doing wrong? 13 years 6 days ago #45946

remove the safty wire and loosen the 2 allen screws to remove coil.

Re:What am I doing wrong? 13 years 4 days ago #46231

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I removed the coil But cannot see anything. The resitance between the two black wires is .6 ohms and from the ground to the high tension lead is 9.09 k ohms. Thew book says 45-65 ohms on the scondary.
It looks like this coil is toast. I have a new one on the way I hope. I haven't heard if it has been shipped.

Re:What am I doing wrong? 13 years 2 days ago #46350

I have found on the 400's it is easier to set the timming with the coil wire and condensor wire removed from the points. I set the points install the mageto/distributor into the motor, set your timming, remove the distributor again hook up the coil wire and condensor wire and re-install.

I know that is a lot of work, but it gives you a clear reading when the points are breaking.

Darrell

Re:What am I doing wrong? 13 years 1 day ago #46424

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks
When I get the new coil I will compare the two. I could have set the timing your way.
I have another question My magneto does not have the max spark advance stop mtd on the outside of the magneto that hits against the engine block. I do have the one mounted on the plate with the idle stop.
I was given one of the stops that mount on the magneto but I cannot find any holes to mount it to. There are no holes on my magneto adaptor other than the 4 mounting holes for the magneto.
Where on here does the stop mount?
Attachments:

Re:What am I doing wrong? 12 years 11 months ago #47140

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Okay For further info/reference. I received my new Coil today. A NOS Kiekhoffer p/n 394-1128A1 in the box and still had the original desicant.
The primary windings measure .5 ohms after subtracting my lead resitance. From the coil HV terminal to ground I measure 9.06K ohms they both read Identical. So there was nothing wrong with my original coil.
Anyone need a new Coil.Lol :laugh:
I have now timed my Motor using ClassicMercs way. I haven't ran it yet since I ran out of daylight. :)
In The mean time I found that 3 out of four plug wires read in the megohms (strange still would throw a good spark) I have replaced them with some New(unused) Packard 440 wire I had on a roll. .9 Ohms R. Cleaned everything up. The plug wires may :) have been giving me some high rpm/load problems.

Re:What am I doing wrong? 12 years 11 months ago #47746

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I took her out on the lake yesterday. The new wires, coil,and setting max timing helped some but it is still missing and only pulling slowly to 5k. I am going to pull the carbs as I found the top carb dripping fuel off of the main jet plug after the run It wasn't doing this in the barrell.
The bottom carb may be dripping as well but it is hard to tell due to the top carb dripping on to it.

Re:What am I doing wrong? 12 years 11 months ago #48888

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I rebuilt my Carbs this morning I found crystals behind the main jet in the upper carb and crystals elswhere as well. The lower carb was spanking clean inside. The crystals look like what I get in the fuel filters of my Hot rod.
Question how do you get the top carbs nut that is behind the mag on?
I have the mag off but there still is no way for my big hands to get it on. The last time I rebuilt them I had my Grandaughter here (she was 10). I had her start them.

Re:What am I doing wrong? 12 years 11 months ago #48891

magnet and screwdriver.

Re:What am I doing wrong? 12 years 11 months ago #48898

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I was trying to remember, and I believe Dave B is right. One of the telescoping magnets from the local auto parts store, used for retrieving dropped items from tight places to hold the nut on the end of the stud. Then take a screwdriver to push against the hex side of the nut ever so gently to turn it until the threads catch. Be sure it's started straight, don't force it if the threads are cross threaded. (Not sure you could, but if there's a way to screw something up I usually find it!). I even remember holding the magnet in my mouth on several of the lowers, and "fishing" a single finger in from each side (or a finger on one side and the screwdriver trick like above) to turn the nut. Pretty tight in there, huh!?

Mark

Re:What am I doing wrong? 12 years 11 months ago #48907

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks I got it on with your help. :) Small parts store pick up tool holding the nut against the stud, a straight blade screwdriver and finger in there somehow. I think childrens fingers are easier. :laugh:
Motor is back together now except for for the wrap. I will start her in the bucket in the AM and maybe get her out on the mud puddle (they have drained most of the water from the lake)in the afternoon.

Re:What am I doing wrong? 12 years 11 months ago #48967

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Well I ran her in the barrell she ran great after I primed her with a little premix. I adjusted the carbs close and she sounded sweet.
I then decided to fix my steering as suggested on the main Forum (switch my springs off of the motor to the last connection. I found one of the springs was broken inside so that ended that and the outing to the lake. :angry:
I was also happy to hear some of the old Mercurys running on this site as mine is the only one on this lake that I have seen. It always aounded a little like there was too much gear noise. But she sounds exactly like all of the other mark 28's 400's and 500 fours on here.

Re:What am I doing wrong? 12 years 11 months ago #48968

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Well I ran her in the barrell she ran great after I primed her with a little premix. I adjusted the carbs close and she sounded sweet.
I then decided to fix my steering as suggested on the main Forum (switch my springs off of the motor to the last connection. I found one of the springs was broken inside so that ended that and the outing to the lake. :angry:
I was also happy to hear some of the old Mercurys running on this site as mine is the only one on this lake that I have seen. It always aounded a little like there was too much gear noise. But she sounds exactly like all of the other mark 28's 400's and 500 fours on here.

Re:What am I doing wrong? 12 years 11 months ago #48969

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Re:What am I doing wrong? 12 years 10 months ago #49645

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Success!!!!!! :laugh:
WEnt to the mudpuddle today. at first she didn't run too well and the dock was busy. so I fished a little bit . Afeter thye dock cleared I brought her in and did the idle adjustments per the book a litle on the rich side. she purred at idle and took off like a bat out of hell. She is smooth all the way up to 5400 RPM all though she lays down a little after 5000. New coil new wires and rebuilt carbs.

Re:What am I doing wrong? 12 years 10 months ago #49664

• MarkS
Very glad you finally got the motor all sorted out Hustler, good job! How did the re-do on the steering (spring locations) setup work out?

Mark

Re:What am I doing wrong? 12 years 10 months ago #49677

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
The re-do on the steering spring location gave me a much better steering boat. However it gave me a new issue which I will probably start a thread on the main forum. The steering wheel is no longer centered It is almost 90 degrees out. I didn't notice this untill I started doing hole shots while taking videos and the wheel about pulled out of my hand. :laugh:
www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2366773204618

Re:What am I doing wrong? 12 years 10 months ago #49698

• MarkS
Great water shots, thanks for sharing. Sounds like she's purring nicely now, congrats. I don't know squat about the cable steering, but I see Bob (Waterwings) has posted on a remedy, so good luck fine tuning the setup.

Beautiful scenery in the background of the video, BTW!

Mark

Re:What am I doing wrong? 12 years 10 months ago #49712

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks for the comments. We live at the edge of the Foothlls for the Siera Nevadas.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5298 guests and one member online