• Page:

TOPIC: Doc, need the wiring for the Merc volt regulator

Doc, need the wiring for the Merc volt regulator 12 years 10 months ago #42927

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Doc,
Everything is OK now that batteries are switched but I am thinking that I'd like the security of the regulator.
Could you tell me how to wire the stock v-6 Merc regulator you mentioned in the other post? I'd like to add that this W.E.
Thanks!
Randy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Doc, need the wiring for the Merc volt regulator 12 years 10 months ago #42939

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Randy, I got part of the info Doc gave Frank on the old thread;
www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/17-mercury-outpost/22486-tach-wiring-62-merc1000.html#22486
Hoping you get the whole scoop from Thom, as I think many of us would like to go this route now!

Mark

Re:Doc, need the wiring for the Merc volt regulator 12 years 10 months ago #43010

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hi Mark,
Thanks for the link but I don't think that is the thread that has the regulator wiring, it sounds like Doc sent it seperate to Frank.
My tach is vintage 70's and goes off the switch box rather than the stator so the grey wire talked about in the post is not needed in my case.
So Thom I still need your help! I am picking up the Merc part number you posted for this so when you get a chance I'd appreciate you posting the wiring scheme you used.
Thanks,
Randy

Re:Doc, need the wiring for the Merc volt regulator 12 years 10 months ago #43035

Randy,
If you are running the brown tach lead to the Brown terminal on the starboard side of the switchbox - simply tape off the gray wire coming out of the regulator. If you convert to a 6 pulse tach someday - simply connect the regulator gray to the internal harness brown and do not put a wire on the starboard side brown terminal.

Also guys,...If you review the link provided by Mark S,...Be aware that post # 22791 - that states: "Thom, my stator is a 12 pole right? If in question, just tie pulse from the tach to a yellow wire?" is accurate when using a rectifier only, but if that is replaced with the v6 regulator with a built-in rectifier you would not connect the tach pulse wire (sender wire) to a yellow - it would connect to the regulator's gray lead.
Thom
Attachments:

Re:Doc, need the wiring for the Merc volt regulator 12 years 10 months ago #43106

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
Here's a link to an ebay auction with a simple Merc voltage regulator:

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390343834482

Note that this is only a regulator and you'll still need your presently-installed rectifier to be properly operating.

The one in this auction is nice because the wiring harness is included. For connection, just follow the color code, red to the +12V output terminal of the rectifier, yellow to either stator terminal of the rectifier.

Note this info is courtesy of the Good Dr. who figured this out a few years back!

Cheers...........ed
Attachments:

Re:Doc, need the wiring for the Merc volt regulator 12 years 10 months ago #43363

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks for the wiring info!
Randy

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Inboard Gear box
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
07-03-2024

Inboard Manifolds
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)