• Page:

TOPIC: Ignition won't shut off ??

Ignition won't shut off ?? 12 years 10 months ago #41902

• 65G3
  • 65G3's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Was going to take out for maiden launch today .. Motor runs ok , new water pump is pumping great . Turned key off ..motor keeps running, disconnected battery , motor still running . Had to take off fuel line to stop .. Also noticed oil coming out of prop .. replaced exhaust tube seal and gasket with new water pump. What could this be

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Ignition won't shut off ?? 12 years 10 months ago #41910

What motor????? hope you did not fry the rectifyer whenyou disconnected the battery

Re:Ignition won't shut off ?? 12 years 10 months ago #41918

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
1st area I would check is the repairs you recently made to the wiring harness, specifically the ground wire for continuity on both sides of the plug and please never again disconnect the battery when the engine is running. I don't have a wiring diagram for your engine,1970/70hp if I remember correctly.Good luck.

Melanie

Edit: If you had been doing a lot of cranking of the motor when you were wrestling with your earlier problem there could be excess unburned fuel in the exhaust. I had a similar thing happen,panicked,Emailed my favorite doctor with photo who assured me it would clear up and it did.

Re:Ignition won't shut off ?? 12 years 10 months ago #41927

• 65G3
  • 65G3's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Correction ,it was a 1978 70 hp .. just found a crack on the starter solenoid tonight , the post was loose in the bakelite plastic , solenoid.. (the yellow wire side ) to the neutral safety switch . Going to get another solenoid !! I looked at the rectifier ,it didn't look like it overheated, didn't smell anything either. I have a service manual ,have been checking wiring diagrams . The last time we ran this engine ,it was on another boat,and motor has been in my garage for 16 years

Re:Ignition won't shut off ?? 12 years 10 months ago #41935

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Once you get it running again you will need to check the charging rate. Dave didn't actually mean that it overheated.You may have damaged the circuitry within the rectifier when you disconnected the battery.

Re:Ignition won't shut off ?? 12 years 10 months ago #42349

Hi,
Your motor is electrically stopped by the ignition switch (in the "Off" position) connecting to ground the switchbox (ignition module) through the orange (early color code) or black with yellow stripe (late color code) internal wiring harness lead wire. The switchbox stop terminal is one of the four located on one of the narrow ends. The color codes are molded into the switchbox case next to each terminal.
Unfortunately, you will want to bet on the lottery if your rectifier is not now defective from disconnecting the battery while it was running.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Inboard Gear box
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
07-03-2024

Inboard Manifolds
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)