Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: HELP! Starter motor on 1250 tower installation~

HELP! Starter motor on 1250 tower installation~ 12 years 10 months ago #41666

I am so frustrtated! I removed lower 3 bolts on my starter to remove to help get access to my middle carb. I did not know you must do something other to get it out .The housing came off but inside of starter stayed connected to motor. Now the 3 springs with magnets are there. 2 of fell off springs.

Is there an easy way to put this back together? Am i up a creek?

anyone near marysville that can help if I cant?

ugg
Thanks.
Emergency!
Tod
425 737 1243

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:HELP! Starter motor on 1250 tower installation~ 12 years 10 months ago #41669

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Can you identify the type of starter, Delco-Remy or Bosch and can you supply a photo? I think what you are calling magnets are actually the brushes. First thing you will need to do is remove the rest of the starter from the engine. Depending on the manufacturer of the starter motor the method of keeping the brushes in their holder as you reassemble the starter will differ.Are you sure there are only 3 brushes?

I am in Bellingham and can assist if no one closer responds and you can wait a couple days.

Re:HELP! Starter motor on 1250 tower installation~ 12 years 10 months ago #41692

Not sure why you pulled the starter apart to get it off??

The whole starter comes off. Mercury changed designs on how the starter motor came off about 3 times over the years but they all have the same principal.

I think the 1250 has 2 bolts up top to take off and a few on the bottom.

You need to take the top cowl off. Then you may have to take the aluminum housing under off too. The one that surrounds the flywheel.

Then you will be cooking with fire. Once out take some pics of your ordeal.
Conrad

Re:HELP! Starter motor on 1250 tower installation~ 12 years 10 months ago #41721

Thanks everyone! Yes what a brain fart! I knew the starter was attached under cowl with 2 bolts. Not sure why I thought the 3 lower bolts would drop it :(

Well it was 4 brushes that had fallen off or sprung when I pulled it off.

Thanks so much to the Merc parts guy from Georgia!!! He called and gave me some tips. They worked!

I was able to leave coil center and top mounted in engine.

I took small wire ties and used them to hold the 4 sprins and brushs in there homes. THen I took opportunity to clean out bottom housing and light dab of lube in copper fitting on bottom.

Then I simply put black center housing back up and matched with top housing. I wrapped scrap piece of wire around battey bolt and tied to top of motor so it would hold Black center housing in place.

Then I simply matched up bottom housing based on the pins spacing. Made sure bottom center washer was in place as I pushed up and made sure it mounted flush with easy. Put 3 bolts back in and tested.

STARTS :)

Thanks again for saving my sorry butt!

Re:HELP! Starter motor on 1250 tower installation~ 12 years 10 months ago #41737

So have you got your carb issues worked out? What was wrong with the carb?
Conrad

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Inboard Gear box
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
07-03-2024

Inboard Manifolds
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)