Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ski pylon that mounts on tower of power?

Ski pylon that mounts on tower of power? 12 years 10 months ago #41496

Seems to me Merc made a ski attachment that mounted right on the in-line 6. Anybody got an extra they want to peddle, or is it possible to just make one somehow?

Thanks!

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Ski pylon that mounts on tower of power? 12 years 10 months ago #41667

Hi Frank,
I am not aware of an outboard motor mounted ski tow pylon. The vintage ones I remember were made of metal tubing in the form of an upside-down square "U". The "U" had an eye mounted at top center for connection of the ski rope. These attached, and were fairly easily removed, by the use of a pair of mounting brackets to a boat's transom on either side of the outboard. The ends of the "U" extended further pass the brackets with rubber cushions to protect the transom surface and spread the loading. I have not seen this design made for quite along time, but in the early 1960's, this was the best offering.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:Ski pylon that mounts on tower of power? 12 years 10 months ago #41838

I remember seeing pics of the motor mounted ones - it mounted on the rear of the exhaust housing. Not sure I'd want to do that, as it would put a lot of stress on the motor mounts and could play havoc with your steering when you've got a big dude cutting hard on a slalom ski...

Re:Ski pylon that mounts on tower of power? 12 years 10 months ago #41840

As it turned out, my tow eyes on the transom worked fine this past weekend. Video when I get home. Also, I've come to find out the higher the pylon or attachment, the more air you catch - good for wakeboards, maybe not for tubes and skiers.

Thanks guys!

Frank

Re:Ski pylon that mounts on tower of power? 12 years 10 months ago #41859

Hi,
I am curious, was this a pylon, or just an eye?
I do remember, and we had two of them several years ago, of an aftermarket cast aluminum "tow hitch", which we sold back in the day, which clamped around the driveshaft housing. The rope pull height was pretty low (like stern eyes on a boat transom), and I do not remember seeing one made for a large 4-cylinder or 6-cylinder Mercury anyhow.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Inboard Gear box
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
07-03-2024

Inboard Manifolds
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)