• Page:

TOPIC: running motor in trash can

running motor in trash can 12 years 10 months ago #41443

• 59Hustler
  • 59Hustler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
How much room between the propellor and the outside of the trashcan should you have when using a trash can as a tank.
I use the trash can do to it is impossible to run muffs I can't find them for this old motor. I know it is fine in nuetral but when I want to say try to fix a problem at higher rpm that requires you to be in gear. I want to have some Idea. I do not have a prop disc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:running motor in trash can 12 years 10 months ago #41444

Well you need enough room obviously so the prop doesn't hit the sides or bottom of the can. Also water needs to be maybe 4-5 inches about cav plate to ensure pump is below surface. Also... be aware that once you put it in gear....even at idle the churn will start throwing the water out of the can and you need to keep filling it and there is no way you can get 1/4 throttle in a can let alone carb adjustment for WOT.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:running motor in trash can 12 years 10 months ago #41445

• 65G3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I know if you use the earmuffs They say don't go over 1500 rpm's !

Re:running motor in trash can 12 years 10 months ago #41454

To test motors in gear you need a tank that holds 600 + gallons of water.
Most motors will empty a trash can in about 3.5 seconds with you getting a shower of greasy water.

Re:running motor in trash can 12 years 10 months ago #41455

I have a crapo prop I cut off a little more than 1/2 of each blade for a test blade, it has enough load on it to run in the trash can for adjustments without blowing out all my water

Re:running motor in trash can 12 years 10 months ago #41462

• 59Hustler
  • 59Hustler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks that pretty much answers that question,

Re:running motor in trash can 12 years 10 months ago #41553

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I too have a junk prop that I cut down when running in a barrel.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:running motor in trash can 12 years 10 months ago #41562

Lots of good info on this thread. I'll have to chop down the other old prop I have. Too many chunks out of it and hadn't thrown it out yet. Actually dad never threw it out sooooo.... Quick question, are you guys doing full throttle adjustments with these chopped props in the barrel?

Bob

Re:running motor in trash can 12 years 10 months ago #41564

are you guys doing full throttle adjustments with these chopped props in the barrel?

I dont Bob, it just gets me to a point I know the boat will run on the water & 99% of the time Im good to go.... unless I have adjustable high speed jets, that I do on the water under full load

Re:running motor in trash can 12 years 10 months ago #41568

Mp,
Thanks, I have high speed jets on the Fat Fifty but it would be good to get it close then final tweaks once she's under full load on the water.

Bob

Re:running motor in trash can 12 years 10 months ago #41573

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Just a thought but couldn't you put some sort of top on the container to hold most of the water in.Still run the garden hose and your loss of water would be minimal in comparison.Like the chopped prop idea to keep a small load on it.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:running motor in trash can 12 years 10 months ago #43240

I run my scott in a 55 gal drum every year. even at idle t i need th keep water flowing in to the barrel. itrs cut off so it'll fit under the motor mounted on the boat. when I put in gear just off idle the barrel will empty in seconds with a garden hose running in at full stream

Re:running motor in trash can 12 years 10 months ago #43254

Lots of good input here.
I also use a trimmed down prop.
It has about 1/3rd the original blades.
It works great for tuning in gear at an idle, etc so that when you get out on the water you can already have a nice idle throttle speed identified and know that she won't poop out when you drop her into Forward or Reverse.
I also put a piece of plywood on the barrel with an area cut out to go around the Merc and put a heavy block on the plywood so that the surge doesn't send it flying.
I zip-tie the hose so that it doesn't fall out or get slapped by the propeller and keep teh water on.
Thom

Re:running motor in trash can 12 years 10 months ago #43259

I have a plastic 25 gallon rectangular loft water tank & I have fitted a quick connect garden hose fitting at the bottom of one side, this allows me to run it without fear of the hose falling out or getting mixed up with the prop but more importantly, I can unplug it & drain the tank so it is easy to move about.

My engines, unfortunately, do a fair bit of salt running &, unless I have no other option, I don't think muffs do a very good job with salt, you still end up with a salty mush (jelly) caked around various bits in my experience. I run the motor in a tank for about 20mins with the hose attached & running full bore then turn the hose off & let the tank warm up to help dilute the salt further. Last of all I add a good slug of anti-freeze to the tank & let that circulate. Job done.

When I pulled my 115 down having done it this way there was no evidence of any salt or salty 'jelly' in it whatsoever.

I must find a knackered prop to cut down though.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Inboard Gear box
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
07-03-2024

Inboard Manifolds
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)