Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Elixir of the gods

Elixir of the gods 12 years 10 months ago #41208

At least the merc gods...

PENNZOIL MARINE® 100% SYNTHETIC OUTBOARD 2-CYCLE OIL
NMMA Certified TC-W3®

PENNZOIL MARINE® 100% SYNTHETIC OUTBOARD 2-CYCLE OIL is a biodegradable, high-flash, ashless 2-cycle engine oil formulated to meet or exceed the warranty requirements of all modern 2-cycle outboard engine manufacturers. It provides excellent lubricity, dispersancy and wear and rust protection.
PENNZOIL MARINE® 100 SYNTHETIC OUTBOARD 2-CYCLE OIL is recommended for use in all makes and models of water-cooled, 2-cycle engines requiring either a pre-mix of oil and gasoline or variable ratio oil injection systems.
PENNZOIL MARINE® 100% SYNTHETIC OUTBOARD 2-CYCLE OIL is certified by the National Marine Manufacturer's Association (NMMA) as an approved NMMA TC-W3® lubricant and is specifically designed for exceptional performance in marine applications.
PENNZOIL MARINE® 100% SYNTHETIC OUTBOARD 2-CYCLE OIL contains only ashless components which helps prevent any lubricant related preignition and spark plug fouling. The ashless additives also help protect against piston and combustion chamber deposits, rust, and corrosion. It resists gel formation due to water or other contamination. The special base stocks used help protect the engine against piston and cylinder wall scuffing.

PENNZOIL MARINE® 100% SYNTHETIC OUTBOARD 2-CYCLE OIL exceeds the requirements of the NMMA TC-W3® standard. It is recommended for and meets the warranty requirements of outboard engines produced by the
following manufacturers:
*Evinrude *Johnson *Mercury *Mariner
*U.S. Marine/Force *Sears *Suzuki *Yamaha
PENNZOIL MARINE® 100% SYNTHETIC OUTBOARD 2-CYCLE OIL mixes easily with gasoline, and is dyed blue to allow for easy detection in premixed fuel. Follow engine manufacturer's recommended fuel/oil ratio for premix systems. It is also recommeded for oil injection systems.
PENNZOIL MARINE® 100% SYNTHETIC OUTBOARD 2-CYCLE OIL may also be used in other applications calling for TC-W®, TC-WII®, or TC-W3® approved oils.

BENEFITS
• Helps protects engines against failures due to scuffing, piston ring sticking, port deposits, bearing failures and spark plug fouling
• Exceeds NFPA Code 30 Class IIIB liquids flash point limits. Flash point exceeds 200°F and requires no special warehousing
• NMMA TC-W3® certified. Exceeds warranty requirements for all outboard engine manufacturers
• Biodegradable to help protect the environment
• Mixes easily with fuel for premix applications
• Excellent flow properties for oil injection systems

Don't mind me folks. This stuff is pricey ($42 at West Marine), but I love it. I think it helps my 48 year old merc stay in good tune, keeps it sprightly and running great. Wonderful stuff. I mix it with Stabil's Marine ethanol treatment every tankful.

Enjoy your merc fellas, they RULE!

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Elixir of the gods 12 years 10 months ago #41209

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
www.c-mesales.com I believe it is the same oil and 27.99 per gallon.Located in Buffalo,I will be glad to pick you some up before you arrive with my new baby! Everything from them is less money than most boating stores that I have researched.I have been using Yamaha but will be switching over to Pennzoil when I run through my last gallon.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Elixir of the gods 12 years 10 months ago #41225

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I buy Pennzoil Full Synthetic Outboard oil at Menards, $24.99 gallon. Been using it for about 8 years now. In addition to my outboards, I use it in my weedwacker, leaf blower, and $5 garage sale Toro snowblower. No problems or issues. I am sold 100% on full synthetic 2-stroke oil, and has the benefit of being biodegradable, so I can shove the label in the face of any tree huggers that complain about my old motors polluting the waterway. And they smoke less with the synthetic than with conventional oil. Worth every dollar to me.

Re:Elixir of the gods 12 years 10 months ago #41230

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Kerry wrote:

I buy Pennzoil Full Synthetic Outboard oil at Menards, $24.99 gallon. Been using it for about 8 years now. In addition to my outboards, I use it in my weedwacker, leaf blower, and $5 garage sale Toro snowblower.

Menards Sells outboard oil for $25 a gallon ..?? Wonder if mine does ..Is it by the chainsaws or somewhere else ..
Larry

Re:Elixir of the gods 12 years 10 months ago #41234

Mr. 88 wrote:

www.c-mesales.com I believe it is the same oil and 27.99 per gallon.Located in Buffalo,I will be glad to pick you some up before you arrive with my new baby! Everything from them is less money than most boating stores that I have researched.I have been using Yamaha but will be switching over to Pennzoil when I run through my last gallon.

I've tried every auto parts and outdoor place around, and I feel lucky I can at least get it at West Marine. It's still a hike, but not too bad. I see where I can get a 3 gallon case on line for 75 bucks, but haven't looked at shipping ( www.oil-store.com/ ). If that place has it for 28 bucks John, yeah, pick me up a gallon. I went through 2 gallons last year, and have just finished my 1st for this year, so needed more for the weekend. With any luck, we hope to be boating Friday, Saturday and Sunday on Chautauqua Lake. Looks like it will be decent weather too.

Thanks!

Frank

Re:Elixir of the gods 12 years 10 months ago #41249

Ok probably a dumb question but not my first ;) IF you use the synthetic, what ratio are you using. I've been using the regular Penzoil outboard TCW3 oil and the cheapy Wally World brand at 25 to 1, since that's what the original manual called for. Yes it's on my (shhhh fat fifty rude),don't shoot me, the topic was here so I went for it. I don't want to seize it and the only spare I have is the '61 850FGS which isn't even close to being a spare.

Bob

Re:Elixir of the gods 12 years 10 months ago #41252

I'm using what the merc manual calls for for my motor Bob, I think it's 50:1. I don't remember exactly because I have plastic mix containers marked where I need them for my 6 gallon tanks. Makes it easy when you have 4 tanks, and keep 2 in the boat. Actually I use a bit more than called for. Seems to me I need 15-16 oz. (maybe 15.6?) per 6 gallons, and I use 17-18. Because the Stabil Marine Ethanol treatment uses so little for a 6 gallon tank, I usually just put an ounce in. I don't think it hurts anything using a little more.

Frank

Re:Elixir of the gods 12 years 10 months ago #41254

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Keep the mix ratio the same Bob. The side of the bottle indicates you can mix a little leaner, but I'd rather error on the safe side myself. I've switched to full syn Pennzoil at the beginning of the season, I love it too! The only exception to this ratio would be Amsoil 100 to 1, but I still have my doubts about mixing that lean, no matter what you're using! Just my two cents worth. :P

Mark

Re:Elixir of the gods 12 years 10 months ago #41263

Thanks guys. Kind of interetsing that Merc says 50 to 1 and Johnny/Rude says 25 to 1. Does make it easy though 1 quart bottle to one 6 gal tank of gas but I had heard that with the Synthetic you can supposedly lean it out more since it's suppose to lube better. Like I said, just paranoid, don't want to blow the engine, especially since I'm already going to mess with it changing the heads out. Guess I'll switch to the synthetic and stick to original mix.

Bob

Re:Elixir of the gods 12 years 10 months ago #41269

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Just a word of caution .If you mix some synthetics With petroleum based oils they can cause each other to seperate from the fuel .Some will cottage chease on you to . I heard this about Yamalube for Snowmobiles. Its a full synthetic . Thought it was B.S. But I tried some Pensoil pre mixed with gas and Yammy pre mixed then added them together in a clear mason jar .Kept my eye on them for a few days .After a day or so I noticed small crud in the bottom of the jar .Let it sit and got more and more of it . So I do believe its true the 2 oils will react with each other then fall out of the fuel leaving you no oil for lubrication or at best Crapping your carbs up . Im not sure all synthetics will do this .So if you go to it Ild make sure your tanks are empty of standard oil pre mixxed .
On the Bright side Ive been running all of my Hi performance motors on Yamalube From Hi Reving chain saws , Dirt Bikes ,Suzuki Quad racer that was super fast but kinda built like a grenade and I have never had a motor failure due to lubrication . Ild use it in my boats but they Jacked it way up in price around here .
Larry

Re:Elixir of the gods 12 years 10 months ago #41274

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Frank Just an FYI I got a gallon of the Penzoil at Advanced on Delaware AV. was the last one there I think. I dont see it on their Website but thats where I got my last one..

Re:Elixir of the gods 12 years 10 months ago #41276

Larry, I've been told once you use full synthetic, you can't go back for potential damage to your motor. Maybe that's because of what you have observed.

Jesse, the guy at Advance Auto here says he can't even get it, just regular stuff. I told him a friend got some at the Advance auto on Delaware Ave, and he didn't even reply, just said "Sorry." Oh well...

Frank

Re:Elixir of the gods 12 years 10 months ago #41278

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Odd, oh well. better luck next time I guess...

Re:Elixir of the gods 12 years 10 months ago #41280

Yep, oh well. Good news is my new steering wheel just got delivered, so I'll need to get the one you lent me back to you! That is the 1st job I'm doing when I get home, everything else can wait. Won't take long anyways.

Frank

Re:Elixir of the gods 12 years 10 months ago #41285

I could be wrong, isn't a pint in a 6gal tank the 50:1 ratio??

Re:Elixir of the gods 12 years 10 months ago #41294

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
joenawlins wrote:

Yep!

Re:Elixir of the gods 12 years 10 months ago #41302

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I am running Amsoil 100:1 full synthetic. I mix it to 80:1 and have had no trouble. I have found a local bulk distributor with non ethanol and get the Amsoil through him also.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Elixir of the gods 12 years 10 months ago #41304

joenawlins wrote:

It's close, but not exactly. It's something like 15.6. I'd have to look. It sure can't hurt to put a pint in 6 gallons!

Frank

Re:Elixir of the gods 12 years 10 months ago #41330

Long story short.
16 oz. for 6 gal of fuel. no matrer what oil you use.
But on the older motors it is best to use what they say for that particular motor..
Oil is cheaper that replacing scored up motors.
IMHO
Attachments:

Re:Elixir of the gods 12 years 10 months ago #41338

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
bobo wrote:

Kerry wrote:

I buy Pennzoil Full Synthetic Outboard oil at Menards, $24.99 gallon. Been using it for about 8 years now. In addition to my outboards, I use it in my weedwacker, leaf blower, and $5 garage sale Toro snowblower.

Menards Sells outboard oil for $25 a gallon ..?? Wonder if mine does ..Is it by the chainsaws or somewhere else ..
Larry

At my local Menards, its next to the gallon jugs of conventional oil. Might have to ask someone, location in the store may vary.

Re:Elixir of the gods 12 years 10 months ago #41341

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
PC1000 wrote:

Larry, I've been told once you use full synthetic, you can't go back for potential damage to your motor. Maybe that's because of what you have observed.

Jesse, the guy at Advance Auto here says he can't even get it, just regular stuff. I told him a friend got some at the Advance auto on Delaware Ave, and he didn't even reply, just said "Sorry." Oh well...

Frank

On a 2 stroke I dont see why you couldnt go back as long as no syn was still in your tank and carbs ran dry .I can tell you this . On a used 4 stroke engine if it been run on regular oil for alot of miles and you go to syn , Keep your first few Oil and Filter times short .If a 4 stroke motor has crud in it from running petrolium Syn will losen it up and clean her out .Problem is the crud will plug your oil filters up fast and drop your oil pressure off . 100 to 1 ..Man I dont know if Ild do that but they say its fine .Just scares me ...L.O.L. I run a little on the rich side myself .50 to 1 Ill run 40 to 1 .Other things I always wondered about .When you add oil to gas you drop the octane rating a little . How much I dont know .BUT oil also helps the piston rings get a better seal to the cylinders to a degree to increase compression .Would less oil Drop compression a bit or would it be out weighted by higher octane or is it a wash ?? Ya I know I got to much free time on my hands and think about junk like that ...L.O.L...I do know on Mazda Raced Prepped RX7s they ran premixxed gas in the Rotary race engines to help the seals seal and increase the longevity of the hi RPM motors .But thats a Rotary and a whole different ball game
Larry

Re:Elixir of the gods 12 years 10 months ago #41378

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
bobo wrote:

PC1000 wrote:

Frank

On a 2 stroke I dont see why you couldnt go back as long as no syn was still in your tank and carbs ran dry .I can tell you this . On a used 4 stroke engine if it been run on regular oil for alot of miles and you go to syn , Keep your first few Oil and Filter times short .If a 4 stroke motor has crud in it from running petrolium Syn will losen it up and clean her out .Problem is the crud will plug your oil filters up fast and drop your oil pressure off . 100 to 1 ..Man I dont know if Ild do that but they say its fine .Just scares me ...L.O.L. I run a little on the rich side myself .50 to 1 Ill run 40 to 1 .Other things I always wondered about .When you add oil to gas you drop the octane rating a little . How much I dont know .BUT oil also helps the piston rings get a better seal to the cylinders to a degree to increase compression .Would less oil Drop compression a bit or would it be out weighted by higher octane or is it a wash ?? Ya I know I got to much free time on my hands and think about junk like that ...L.O.L...I do know on Mazda Raced Prepped RX7s they ran premixxed gas in the Rotary race engines to help the seals seal and increase the longevity of the hi RPM motors .But thats a Rotary and a whole different ball game
Larry

OW my Head,

I was actually wondering About Octane and oil last night when I was filling my tank to check my setup before going camping... I had been working on a 1964 Corvett that we have to add Octane booster to to avoid predetination and it got me thinking but not nearly as deep as you just went I really have nothing usefull to add there.. I usually just run regular in my 500 and oil it very rich.... I often use the same tank on a 1955 Johnson so I tend to just stay at a Johnson mix so the old merc runs a bit smoky. yet I have never had an issue with fouling plugs and still get decent fuel ecconomy goes a little faster with a closer mix, but I figure more oil isnt bad on a 41 year old engine..

Re:Elixir of the gods 12 years 10 months ago #41383

Boy Jesse, I run 93 octane in my merc. Gotta treat it like the baby it is...

Frank

Re:Elixir of the gods 12 years 10 months ago #41384

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I may try hire octane at some point see how she behaves, cant spoil her though She would get to expect such treatment ;-)

Re:Elixir of the gods 12 years 10 months ago #41386

Once ya start with this stuff, it is not good to go backwards!

Re:Elixir of the gods 12 years 10 months ago #41387

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
No I meant on the high octane gas ;-)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Inboard Gear box
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
07-03-2024

Inboard Manifolds
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)