• Page:

TOPIC: Wiring Harness Question

Wiring Harness Question 12 years 10 months ago #40601

• barnfinder
  • barnfinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Just picked up a boat and an older Merc 65. The guy told me it had controls....but didnt tell me that they were tore apart and the wiring harness was taken out of the controls. It has the older larger cobra motor end. Could I grab these newer controls with the smaller harness connector that connects inside the engine, and splice the cobra end on them some how?

rochester.craigslist.org/boa/2512797779.html

Thanks,
Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:Wiring Harness Question 12 years 10 months ago #40611

I don't see why you couldn't make it work. All you really need are battery cables, a start circuit, run/kill circuit, and choke circuit - items found in most harnesses. I have one from a later 150 that fits the cannon style plug you show in your pic... Just tape off the wires you don't use. Let me know if interested...

Attachments:

Re:Wiring Harness Question 12 years 10 months ago #40625

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I "built" a boat side harness (motor to controls) out of a "pigtail" (the plug and a short length of the wires) I bought from Joe @ Ferguson Poole Marine for my Merc 1000, Tim. It would have been easier to splice the plug onto another harness, but we make due with what we have to work with, right? Go for it, just make sure you write down what wire hooks to what (do your own diagram) if the colors change on the new harness.

www.maxrules.com/wireindex.html

www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/17-mercury-outpost/24435-merc-1000-on-cl-what-do-you-think.html#25725

Mark

Re:Wiring Harness Question 12 years 10 months ago #40657

• barnfinder
  • barnfinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
THanks Guys.

I picked up that set of controls even though the key cylander was not only missing a key but also screwed up. I do have the same harness with key and cylander that I can swap in and I also have the same internal wiring harness to match(all out of a 89 Merc 40 that I tore apart for parts.

Have to decide whether it easier to splice into the original harness and keep the cobra head and internal wiring or just rewire internally and use the newer internal.

Another quandry I just realized is that the throttle and gear cables are totally different. The older ones connect outside the motor and the newer ones inside etc.

I'll know more when I get the boat home tomorrow. Thanks.
Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:Wiring Harness Question 12 years 10 months ago #40682

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
too funny, last 2 controllers I got were that way tore apart, no keys...urg...need to ask if the are whole and w/ key...i assume to much.

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Inboard Gear box
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
07-03-2024

Inboard Manifolds
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)