Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 500 to 650 Ignition parts interchange ??

500 to 650 Ignition parts interchange ?? 12 years 10 months ago #40321

• bobo
  • bobo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Ive got a 1971 Merc 500 .The coil tower somehow about burned off . What would do that ?? Old or Arcing ?? Its the type with the Big round coil with a black and green wires going to a switch box . Ive got a 1969 650 . According to some sites its suppose to have points But it looks like the same coil and box as the 500 only mounted different .Will all of these 4 cly Merc ignitions swap out between them . Can I use the 650 Cap and Rotor ?
Thanks Larry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 500 to 650 Ignition parts interchange ?? 12 years 10 months ago #40329

i think your 500 has a lightning energizer ignition system. 650 is different. i have a complete lightning energizer system if needed.

Re: 500 to 650 Ignition parts interchange ?? 12 years 10 months ago #40346

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
dave bernard wrote:

i think your 500 has a lightning energizer ignition system. 650 is different. i have a complete lightning energizer system if needed.

I pulled the 650 apart tonight .on both the 500 and 650 distributors on the bottom it says Lightning Energizer . Both top Caps have the same parts number .I havnt pulled the coil on the 500 yet but it looks like the 650 .Both have the same 2 wires colored the same . I wonder if the 650 is newer .Pics ive seen of a 69 the motor wrap was a different color . This one has a red split stripe on it .

My 650 has the red round coil like the one in the picture .Did they use the same coil on some 500s but mounted them a different way ? I tell ya that 650 Doesnt want to give up its parts without a fight ..
Attachments:

Re: 500 to 650 Ignition parts interchange ?? 12 years 10 months ago #40402

yes they are the same i have a extra one.

Re:500 to 650 Ignition parts interchange ?? 12 years 10 months ago #40437

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Did they have a problem with these coils or did I get a freak one ? Looks like it must have been jumping a spark to the coil wire inside the tower of the coil and just cooked it .It was even Arcing over to one of the spark plug wires on the cap and burned threw the boot .How many volts these puppys put out ? Has to be pretty serious Zap to them .

Re:500 to 650 Ignition parts interchange ?? 12 years 10 months ago #40448

50,000 volts. the wire was not pushed in all the way is what i think.

Re:500 to 650 Ignition parts interchange ?? 12 years 10 months ago #40452

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Both coils on my Merc1000 were badly corroded, where the coil wire plugs in the center. Probably be a good idea to clean those once in a while and use some dielectric grease on them?

Mark

Re:500 to 650 Ignition parts interchange ?? 12 years 10 months ago #40486

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
dave bernard wrote:

50,000 volts. the wire was not pushed in all the way is what i think.

50,000 volts ... Ya I dont think I want to grab on to that to test it ..The motor did poon toon service I was told before I got it . I think she will be happier on the Scat Cat ..By the way whats a good way to Hook a tether switch up to it without killing a switch box or something ? This little boat could maybe throw a guy out of it .Hate to see it hauling Arse across the lake with out me in it Or Worst yet Hitting somebody or coming back to get me ..

Re:500 to 650 Ignition parts interchange ?? 12 years 10 months ago #41102

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Well I swapped out the coil , Distributor and wires from the 650 onto the 500 .Parts numbers were all the same .Cleaned the carbs while I had it apart and Adjusted the timing .I took it on the Scat Cat to the lake running a 19 pitch prop .Dang thing was hauling pretty good .I went back to the car and got my GPS .Took it back out and just got up on plane and hauling and the motor jerked hard and quit .Yes it had water coming out the pee hole I had put a new impeller in a couple of days ago .Hit the starter and it lagged then fired up .Jumped up on plane then another Violent jerk and died .I hit the starter and she was tight .I turned it over by hand but I could here something dragging inside like a broken ring , Busted reed cage or valve or a crank neadle bearing ..Something let louse or got sucked in .Crap ..I had decarboned it to when I put the Impeller in .Never had a Merc take a dump before .She had spent alot of years pushing a poontoon with a low pitch prop before .Oh Well still got alot of good parts left ..
Larry

Re:500 to 650 Ignition parts interchange ?? 12 years 10 months ago #41107

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Everyone please bow your heads in a moment of silence for the fallen "soldier"! He went out struggling to please, at least. Gonna do an autopsy, Larry?

Mark

Re:500 to 650 Ignition parts interchange ?? 12 years 10 months ago #41147

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
MarkS wrote:

Everyone please bow your heads in a moment of silence for the fallen "soldier"! He went out struggling to please, at least. Gonna do an autopsy, Larry?

At least it got to give its life on a Cool Tunnel hull instead of a poontoon so it died with dignity .I found the donor card it had signed so its death will give others a chance to live ...L.O.L.. I did pick up another 650 . I was going to put my other 650 with T and T on my Delmar .Now Im thinking ill put the trim 650 on the Scat and the 1963 650 on the 56 Delmar .The 650s have the larger prop shaft so bigger pitch props will be easier to find . A 12 foot , 300 pound Tunnel with a 650 ,tilt trim and jack plate spinning a 23 pitch ss prop sounds kinda fun .Autopsy ? Well this winter ill do that . The Delmar has to get done before snow time .Ive been getting way to side tracked ..
Larry

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Inboard Gear box
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
07-03-2024

Inboard Manifolds
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)