Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New hydraulic steering install on old merc?

New hydraulic steering install on old merc? 12 years 11 months ago #39388

Have any of you folks hooked up modern hydraulic steering to old mercs like my '63 1000? Any tricks, info, advice, suggestions, photos, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

This is the system I'm getting to replace an old Ride guide system: www.lowcostboatingstore.com/TELEFLEX-HK4200A-BAYSTAR-HDY-STEERING-KIT_p_150.html

Looks like this:

This is what I have now:

Thanks for any help.

Frank
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New hydraulic steering install on old merc? 12 years 11 months ago #39467

Hmmm, apparently no one has installed a hydraulic system on their classic boat?

I just ordered the kit I had the link for in the above post, should have it by Wednesday and we'll see what happens.

Frank

Re:New hydraulic steering install on old merc? 12 years 11 months ago #39485

Frank,

I used to have a teleflex system hooked up to a 60 Merc 300 on a little whaler. Had to use a Stand-off bracket to hold cable end and ran the end of the cable directly to a small bracket connected at the front of the motor. Sorry no pics though. I am sure you will make it work somehow.

Good luck.

Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:New hydraulic steering install on old merc? 12 years 11 months ago #39495

Thanks Tim, but no cable on this system, it's hydraulic with hoses and hydraulic pressure doing the push-pull thing. Just wondered if anybody had installed one on an old in-line 6. I can't imagine I'm the 1st, although from the sounds of the sales guy I talked to, maybe...

Frank

Re:New hydraulic steering install on old merc? 12 years 11 months ago #39497

Its been done for sure. I personally have not done nor seen it in hand. But have seen others on line do it.

That bay star should help but they dont rate that system for a lot of speed.

The sea star pro is what they want to sell you for speed go getters.

The Pro is $$ thats why I went for the Dual Rack. Rated for speed and less $$. Wish I had the hydro tho

Conrad

Re:New hydraulic steering install on old merc? 12 years 11 months ago #39509

When you say they don't rate the Sea Star for a lot of speed, can you be more specific? I haven't seen or read anything like that!

The one I'm getting is rated for 150 hp and I'm putting it on a 100 hp OLD motor that goes maybe 45, 45 mph.

Thanks,

Frank

Re:New hydraulic steering install on old merc? 12 years 11 months ago #39528

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, Frank, I'm a little late to this thread, but I have a 2004 v-4 johnson [90hp] that has the baystar hydraulic steering. It is rated for up to 150hp, so you'll be fine with the tower... The wheel feels real smooth, no tourque feel whatsoever.
To be honest, for slow cruising, I find myself giving it more steering imput than with the old teleflex. [correcting, overcorrecting, recorrecting] I have no idea if thats due to the completely different set up [boat was powered by 3 cyl, 85 hp Force] But when accellerating, or at wide open throttle it stays right on track.
Unfortunatley, last season the 'helm' began leaking somewhere.
I've needed to add hydraulic fluid twice this year. [ a pain, as they need to be bled] I tightend connections and looked for kinks, have not found source of leaks, but dripping from behind the wheel onto the carpet.
So, in summary, has its advantages, but not trouble free, at least for me.
-jim

Re:New hydraulic steering install on old merc? 12 years 11 months ago #39529

Thanks for the tips Jim, much appreciated! I will play particular attention to the hose connections. Did you use the Permatex thread sealer they suggest?

I just tore the Ride Guide system out, and may later go out and see if I can get the holes in position for the helm. I got the instructions off the web in pdf form, so I'm playing!

I figure this system should be a marked improvement for the old Power Cat, and should be fine at those tremendously high speeds I get to (mid-40's). Heck, I was thinking about going to a bigger motor, and this system says it's good to 150 horses. I'm gonna give it a whirl and will post some pics of the install as I go.

Frank

Re:New hydraulic steering install on old merc? 12 years 11 months ago #39620

New system just arrived at the house. How's that for ordering from Texas yesterday a.m. for a flat shipping fee of $9.95?

Frank

Re:New hydraulic steering install on old merc? 12 years 11 months ago #39626

When I was researching steering for my 1500. I called Teleflex on the phone and asked them what my options were. I was around 60mph at the time. They did not want the baystar on a surfacing type prop for some reason. And they did not make that unit for high speed boats. They rated there dual NFB DUAL RACK for higher speeds than the baystar so I went with that. Your set up should be just fine at your speed and HP. Even a 1500XS is probably only 130 NEW AGE PONIES. If I can find some documentation to back up what Im saying Ill post it. Plese keep up up to date on how you like it.

Im sure Ill be jealous :)
Conrad

Re:New hydraulic steering install on old merc? 12 years 11 months ago #39638

Conrad, got my new steering package in the mail when I got home, and got the business end hooked up to my old merc. This was the part I was worried about. Everything else will take time, but is straight forward and does not require fitting. All I believe needed to be done was space the mount a bit lower than higher, so I cut a piece of 3/8 i.d. steel tubing to act as a spacer. I think it will work fine, but any comments would be appreciated.

This will be a great addition to an old motor that has been updated with PT&T and a voltage regulator. Pretty soon I'm going to have power steering. Woohoo!

Frank

Attachments:

Re:New hydraulic steering install on old merc? 12 years 11 months ago #39639

I dont have an exact motor like your with the steering hook up under the cowl like that. I have the older ones and the newer ones but not that style.

It looks to me like it will work. But the longer that bolt is the more leverage the motor will have on it. This can be potentially bad if you experience a lot of wheel torque.

That steering will fell like power steering when your done.

Re:New hydraulic steering install on old merc? 12 years 11 months ago #39641

Any suggestions about what I could do about the 3/8 stud it mounts to ya think Conrad? That bothers me to. It's an original Ride Guide part and turns 7/16 where it mounts to the cowl. I was thinking about maybe a much larger spacer that is drilled so to fit very tight to replace that red colored piece of steel tubing I stuck in there, probably stainless. I will have to check around and see if I can find that kind of stock. I wish I knew what grade that existing stud was.

Frank

Re:New hydraulic steering install on old merc? 12 years 10 months ago #40375

Just so y'all know, I continued this thread in the general forum once I had Merc issues out of the way. Here's the link: www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/2-main-forum/39712-new-hydraulic-steering-install.html

Thanks for all the help!

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Inboard Gear box
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
07-03-2024

Inboard Manifolds
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)