Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to vent merc plastic tank?

How to vent merc plastic tank? 12 years 11 months ago #38936

Any you fellows have experience with a merc tank like this:

I can't figure out how it vents. I showed it to Tim Calmes and he thought if you turned the cap all the way on, then backed off one click that would do it. Nope. Jesse (stashm2) gave me this tank and I sure would like to use it!

Could I add a vent somehow?

Thanks!

Frank
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: How to vent merc plastic tank? 12 years 11 months ago #38938

I have not seen one of these newer tanks , but I am sure the factory folks have considered a vent of some type.-Automatic or manual.-Call the local dealer.

Re: How to vent merc plastic tank? 12 years 11 months ago #38940

I'll do that, thanks.

Frank

Re:How to vent merc plastic tank? 12 years 11 months ago #38941

Im sure that cap vents. Either has a one way flapper valve in it or it just has a direct vent built in. Probably vents thru the holes in the cap that are molded in.

Conrad

Re:How to vent merc plastic tank? 12 years 11 months ago #38942

That's exactly what I thought Conrad, but no matter what I do, the tank blows up and I can only relieve gas build up by unscrewing the cap. Trust me, we've tried everything we can think of. I'll take it to a dealer and see what they say. Maybe the cap is the deal, but it's not working?

Frank

Re:How to vent merc plastic tank? 12 years 11 months ago #38948

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I think Shady Harbor in New Baltimore is a Merc Dealer. Is the one at Yani's in Coeymans as well?

Re:How to vent merc plastic tank? 12 years 11 months ago #38952

Who knows
Maybe this tank complies with some new " tree hugger " environmental regulation. This might prohibit venting fuel to atmosphere and allows air to get into the tank once fuel is pumped out.

Re:How to vent merc plastic tank? 12 years 11 months ago #38953

Gee, wouldn't this be just great!

Frank

Re:How to vent merc plastic tank? 12 years 11 months ago #38954

I beleive they are just a one way vent - to allow air in as gas is used.
I also do not like the look of these plastic tanks when they bulge from heat, so what I do when not using the boat is to just crack open the cap a little, then tighten it up when in use. No issues so far

Re:How to vent merc plastic tank? 12 years 11 months ago #38965

Hmmm. I'll hit one of the local Merc dealers and see what they say. I haven't used it at all because of this vent question.

Thanks!

Frank

Re:How to vent merc plastic tank? 12 years 11 months ago #38984

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Sorry that tank is being such an issue!, I got it from a house we were cleaning out for a friedn it seemed to have never been used sitting in a closet. I just dont have any other Merc tanks so I gave it away. I hope you can figure it out Frank

Re:How to vent merc plastic tank? 12 years 11 months ago #38996

Jesse, it's really no big deal. I don't think it had ever been used either. I filled it with gas, then couldn't figure out how it vents. I needed a spare tank, so I appreciate you giving it to me. Nevertheless, I just bought another tank. So now if I get this figured out, I'll have 4 tanks, and a $100 bill at the gas pump when I fill all 4 up! :)

Maybe I'll stop down at Coeymans Marina before going home and ask Jim, he would know if anybody did. He's been a big help to me finding old merc parts. And the tank is in the back of my truck as we speak!

Frank

Re:How to vent merc plastic tank? 12 years 11 months ago #38997

So does my tank with the vent screw in the cap have to be closed while running??? I have to open to prime it with the bulb before starting..

Re:How to vent merc plastic tank? 12 years 11 months ago #38998

No Joe, the vent needs to be open when running. If it isn't, eventually the motor will starve for fuel.

Frank

Re:How to vent merc plastic tank? 12 years 11 months ago #39038

one way flapper valve in it

I bet its like I said earlier one way. Ive seen a few of these new ones blow way up like a balloon. Should give you good fuel pressure :) You would think it would build too much and push past the needle valve and flood all over the place.
Conrad

Re:How to vent merc plastic tank? 12 years 11 months ago #39047

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I have a 6 Gallon plastic tank form west marine that does the same thing, so I always leave it cracked open a little if not it will do the opposite and cave in. so far its never been an issue but I would think that after a while the tanks would fatigue and tear or crack. I thought that merc tank looked a lot more rugged I am kind of surprised it distorts.

Re:How to vent merc plastic tank? 12 years 11 months ago #39068

Hi Frank,
It has the incorrect cap on it. The one on it is intended for another version they had which vented when the fuel line was connected, or a snap-on cap was installed on the pick-up. This tank should have the cap with the center screw type vent.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:How to vent merc plastic tank? 12 years 11 months ago #39103

Hi Joe,

Aha! Thanks for the tip Joe. I brought it to the local marina after work last night and asked the tech guy there, he had no clue, and was gonna ask their head guy when he got back. I left the tank there so he could see it. I know the head guy there pretty well, and will call today and see if he figured it out. Then I should be able to just get a new cap I wonder?

Frank

Re:How to vent merc plastic tank? 12 years 11 months ago #39119

Frank,
An older book states the number as 36-816976A 1. It may supersede.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:How to vent merc plastic tank? 12 years 11 months ago #39387

Thanks Joe. I didn't see your post till just now, but the merc guy at the marina knew what the problem was and ordered me a new cap. Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Inboard Gear box
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
07-03-2024

Inboard Manifolds
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)