• Page:

TOPIC: 61 Merc 800 FNR - Finally out of the truck

61 Merc 800 FNR - Finally out of the truck 12 years 11 months ago #38757

• barnfinder
  • barnfinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I found this on Craigs for $150(after waiting many days for a response) and bought it site unseen and picked it up a week ago Sunday but it has been sitting in my truck since then while I waited for my strong sons to get home to help me get it out. BTW I was very happy to find out it was a full gear shift and not a dock buster.

Finally today we got it onto the stand and I got to have a look at it.

Don't know much history other than it ran at one time before the last owner bought it and it is not frozen. Got controls with it but no key.

It appears someone started to take the carbs apart and the screws were missing on all three of the strainer covers of the carbs(found them though...one in the pan and two on the floor of the truck lol)

Cosmetically decent and internally seems like a restore candidate. I have lots of experience with old Mercs but nothing bigger than a 4 cyl so the learning continues.

I will continue to document progress as I continue but this is a start....and I am going to be relying on all of you Merc guys to help me thru this new and exciting process of revival. I won't sleep well anticipating hearing the beautiful sound(and smell) of Merc inline roar again.

Some pics:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:61 Merc 800 FNR - Finally out of the truck 12 years 11 months ago #38762

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
At $150 you stole it. Good find. Another beautiful white tower.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:61 Merc 800 FNR - Finally out of the truck 12 years 11 months ago #38767

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Nice find Tim, looks like she's got possibilities there! I know the DR models are considered more rare, but I'd rather have an FGS any day personally. ;)

Have you had a chance to run a compression and spark check yet?

Mark

Re:61 Merc 800 FNR - Finally out of the truck 12 years 11 months ago #38779

Tim,
Great find and in much better shape than mine is:

Plus you have the nice Chrome letters.

You'll probably get yours finished before I do. A couple of higher priority projects in front of it (honey do's).

Again great find and I'll be watching the restoration on this one.

Bob
Attachments:

Re:61 Merc 800 FNR - Finally out of the truck 12 years 11 months ago #38781

• MarkS
Bob, I've got a hunch your's will look just as good when it's done. We've got to talk to your wife about shortening up your "honey-do" list, I think you deserve some time off for good behavior! :laugh:

Mark

Re:61 Merc 800 FNR - Finally out of the truck 12 years 11 months ago #38785

Thanks Mark, you won't get any argument out of me there! ;)

Bob

Re:61 Merc 800 FNR - Finally out of the truck 12 years 11 months ago #38788

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Mark,

I was actually quite relieved when I finally got to lay my eyes on it that it was not a DR. At the same time I would have been a bit more pleased had it been a shorty.

No I have not had a chance to do anything with it ....it took me eight days to get it out of the Escape. I was gonna start the prelims like compression and spark etc. but came to a screeching halt when I realized that the old cobra-style harness/key/choke I use when playing with motors, was not the correct one for this model. There is no key with the controls so I need to figure out a way to start cranking it....besides jumping the starter. I didn't get lucky this time as none of the other Merc keys fit.

I don't relish the thoughts of tearing the controls apart and replacing the ignition switch but I guess I will have to.

Right now I am going to pull the plugs and get some premix into the cyls and maybe a little Marvel Mystery but will be hard with it sitting vertical.

Stay tuned.
Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:61 Merc 800 FNR - Finally out of the truck 12 years 11 months ago #38792

Tim,
Take a look and see if there's a number on the ignition switch somewhere. You should be abel to call a Merc dealer and see if they can still get the key. I did that for my Rude switch on the '60 Clipper and they had them. Cost me $6 per key but cheaper than having to get a new switch and rewiring it. Just a thought.

Bob

Re:61 Merc 800 FNR - Finally out of the truck 12 years 11 months ago #38793

may have a ## 0n the switch for the key.a merc dealer may have kets to try.take the controlls to the dealer.

Re:61 Merc 800 FNR - Finally out of the truck 12 years 11 months ago #38795

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Well my excitement has quickly turned to disappointment. Looks like I have a $150 worth of scrap aluminum.

Pulled the plugs and squirted pre-mix and whatever marvel I could get into the cyls and started cranking by jumping the starter.

First test was spark and got none on a few wires. No biggy I'm thinking...pull the mag and clean or replace points/condensors etc. like I have done many times before.

Second test compression.

Results: 1: 120 (looking good)
2: ZERO ...uh oh
3: 120
4: 85 (bad to worse)
5: 120 (why bother continuing?)
6: 120

So now I am trying to console myself thinking oh well get my money back on the lower unit right? Oh dear....can't get it to engage into neutral manually.

Anybody looking for parts? Guess I'll have to get the wrenches out and start tearing it down and continue my search for my next white merc.

That's what I get for buying something sight unseen without a compression check(first and last time I will do that I assure you).

Boo Hoo......
Attachments:

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

Re:61 Merc 800 FNR - Finally out of the truck 12 years 11 months ago #38805

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I'll give you your $150 for it. I have all NOS pistons, rods and bearings to rebuild it.

Re:61 Merc 800 FNR - Finally out of the truck 12 years 11 months ago #38868

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Ok ...while I have it vertical and the pistons(2 and 4) soaking in seafoam and Marvs, I thought I would go at a couple of other issues just to verify condition. I pulled the lower off of it(what a bitch getting the two side 5/8's that were rusted bad.....heat and pblaster and I got them broke just before they were to stripped to even get the wrench on. First indication is too much play in the drive shaft so I guess it will need to be torn apart. Not sure how I am going to get the prop off because someone put a bolt/pin thru it (show u pics later).

Next I pulled off the mag preparing to clean and set the points again and clean distrib cap etc. Now I have a question. This Mag is different than any others I have worked on including the 60 Merc 300.

How do I get these two parts ..apart? Looks like someone else had the idea of prying and broke a chunk out of the plastic whatchamacallit that goes inside the cap.

Attachments:

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

Re:61 Merc 800 FNR - Finally out of the truck 12 years 11 months ago #38873

• MarkS
Yup, been there, broke that! Here's a link to the thread where the guys addressed this problem for me Tim, it takes a special tool to properly remove the rotor.
www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/17-mercury-outpost/28297-63-merc-1000-distignition-problem.html#28321
It probably can be done without the tool, but I managed to drop mine and break it anyway. :ohmy:

Mark

Re:61 Merc 800 FNR - Finally out of the truck 12 years 11 months ago #38874

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Awesome....thanks Mark. Special Tool...should be the alias for Merc.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

Re:61 Merc 800 FNR - Finally out of the truck 12 years 11 months ago #38894

Tim keep diggin' and don't giver up on it yet. If your shafts are still ok on the lower it can be rebuilt. Mine were too bad and the lower unit had a crack in it. The compression problem MAY just be compressed rings but kind of suspect since it's only two. Pull off the inspection windows on those two and take a quick peek. Of course since you've worked on some Merc's before you probably already know that so sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

Bob

Re:61 Merc 800 FNR - Finally out of the truck 12 years 11 months ago #38955

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Mark,

That was a great thread on your search for spark on your 800...only problem is that it ended before you solved your no spark after you had cleaned points and changed condensors etc. What happened next? You were testing the coils ...turned down the setting and found 1.6 or 1.8 ohms....then....IT ENDED.

Please tell me the rest of the story cause I am exactly where you left off :-)

Thanks.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

Re:61 Merc 800 FNR - Finally out of the truck 12 years 11 months ago #38959

• MarkS
It ended there (temporarily) because that was about the time I struck a deal on the GT-150, and focused on the road trip to get her home. The Merc got "back-burnered" 'cause I can work on it during the winter months, trying to get all my glass work done before the end of the warm weather season...?

My cap, rotor, and plug/coil wires were all suspect, so I have procured some serviceable replacements. (Thanks Thom!) Just haven't taken time to mess with it much lately. I plan to get back to her soon, I can see the "light at the end of the tunnel" on the glass work. :P

Mark

Re:61 Merc 800 FNR - Finally out of the truck 12 years 11 months ago #38999

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Ok after further investigation the #2 cyl/piston is hosed. I am continuing to evaluate the rest of it. I know starter/solenoid is fine and am working on mag to get spark. Lower is suspect.

As much as I would love to see this old beauty back on a boat, reality of it is that to me right now it is just parts that I can
recover for cash that I can use to hopefully find another. The hard to find parts will also be good to have when I am working on the inevitable restores I will have in the future.

Thanks for the offer to purchase Jim but I think I will have to pass.

Thanks for the help and encouragement to those that took the time.

Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

Re:61 Merc 800 FNR - Finally out of the truck 12 years 11 months ago #39040

I found this on Craigs for $150

Looks like I have a $150 worth of scrap aluminum.

Anybody looking for parts?

I'll give you your $150 for it. I have all NOS pistons, rods and bearings to rebuild it.

Thanks for the offer to purchase Jim but I think I will have to pass.

I think you figured out that its worth more than $150 even with the burnt piston.

Usually the block is fine with some cleaning and a new piston is used. Those letters are kinda hard to find and will bring $150 alone. The faceplate should bring $40. Lower unit if not messed up can bring around $1oo or more if working well. A 76 cube block that is re-boreable $40 Electronics that work should bring $40 and rotating assembly about$40. Controls $40 is good and usable. Nice wrap $25. Decent prop $25

All of this being a bit conservative brings a total of $500 if you got buyers for all of these parts over the next year or so. Could go for less of course or more too.

Conrad

Re:61 Merc 800 FNR - Finally out of the truck 12 years 11 months ago #39066

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for the confirmation Conrad and I am with you on all counts. As I said, I can always use these old parts and you know how it goes ...shortly after you get rid of things you end up needing them for the next old Merc project that comes along right?

Take care.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

Re:61 Merc 800 FNR - Finally out of the truck 12 years 11 months ago #39112

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
good. I don't need more aluminum anyway. MY point was to not be so hasty.

Re:61 Merc 800 FNR - Finally out of the truck 12 years 11 months ago #39126

Tim, I think that is a good fine. Id love to find a 800 with all the chrome there and rebuildable for 150. Its one of my favorite motors for sure!! Very very cool motor.
Conrad

Re:61 Merc 800 FNR - Finally out of the truck 12 years 11 months ago #39191

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Yea I have decided to just park it for now and hope to restore it another day. Chances of finding one again in any condition for that price is pretty darn slim.

These old mercs are getting more scarce every month that goes by I figure.

I will of course need something to keep me busy if I ever retire so I will just start keeping an eye out to put together the various parts I will need when that time comes...in what 15 years?

Thanks for the level set Conrad.

Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Inboard Gear box
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
07-03-2024

Inboard Manifolds
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)