Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tilt and Trim Swapping Pluss How do the wires hook

Tilt and Trim Swapping Pluss How do the wires hook 12 years 11 months ago #38620

• bobo
  • bobo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I picked up a 1967 1100ss .I also found a mid 60s 65hp with a blown power head .The 65 has power tilt and trim .Will that bolt up to the 1100 alright . Sure looks like it would But not sure .I didnt get the controls for the tilt and trim .Its got 3 wires coming out of it .2 plug in type and 1 with a loop on it .Can a guy get some sort of a 2 way toggle switch to mount on the dash to wire it up to ??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Tilt and Trim Swapping Pluss How do the wires hook 12 years 11 months ago #38625

sure can.i would use a rocker switch.

Re: Tilt and Trim Swapping Pluss How do the wires hook 12 years 11 months ago #38627

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Do you run a hot to one side of the solenoid ? If you run hot to one of the plug in wires does it go up Then hot to the other wire to Drop it ??

Re: Tilt and Trim Swapping Pluss How do the wires hook 12 years 11 months ago #38628

do you have a 2 solenoid system or a 1 solenoid system?

Re: Tilt and Trim Swapping Pluss How do the wires hook 12 years 11 months ago #38630

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Ok Im goofy here .I went out and looked at it again .Its a Single Solenoid .Theres a female end for a round 3 prong Plug to go into . I dont have that plug .The wires coming out of the back of that plug are Red , Green and Blue .Theres also another wire looks like it might go to the battery . Has a loop on the end for a bolt to go threw .

Re:Tilt and Trim Swapping Pluss How do the wires hook 12 years 11 months ago #38636

Get a Johnson throttle handle control and wire it in. they're not expensive, and mount right on the Merc handle. If you get one, let me know, we figured out the wiring. You'll love it!

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Tilt and Trim Swapping Pluss How do the wires hook 12 years 11 months ago #38638

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Ya know Frank you just reminded me ive got a Evinrude trim controls from the Junk one I pulled off my CV16 when I bought it .I think i got a dash mounted control to .Ill have to look up in my shops attic tomorow . Cant remember if mine looked like that ..Still got the whole setup for a rude if anybody needs one .

Re:Tilt and Trim Swapping Pluss How do the wires hook 12 years 11 months ago #38640

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

Still got the whole setup for a rude if anybody needs one .

If that setup will fit a 1973 Johnson 115 we need to talk Larry! :P

Mark

Re:Tilt and Trim Swapping Pluss How do the wires hook 12 years 11 months ago #38643

bobo wrote:

Ya know Frank you just reminded me ive got a Evinrude trim controls from the Junk one I pulled off my CV16 when I bought it .I think i got a dash mounted control to .Ill have to look up in my shops attic tomorow . Cant remember if mine looked like that ..Still got the whole setup for a rude if anybody needs one .

I control speed and trim with one hand, can't be beat. Actu8ally the trim is controlled by my thumb, most natural thing in the world. No fumbling around looking for dash mount controls. I forget who suggested it to me, but God bless them!

Frank

Re: Tilt and Trim Swapping Pluss How do the wires hook 12 years 11 months ago #38654

green from plug to green on trim motor.red goes to large terminal with the battery wire on the solenoid.blue goes to on small terminal and black goes to the other small terminal with a black battery wire.

Re:Tilt and Trim Swapping Pluss How do the wires hook 12 years 11 months ago #38674

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
PC1000 wrote:

bobo wrote:

I control speed and trim with one hand, can't be beat. Actu8ally the trim is controlled by my thumb, most natural thing in the world. No fumbling around looking for dash mount controls. I forget who suggested it to me, but God bless them!

Frank

Ya that sure is nice Frank . Got the factory controls like that on my CV16. Just get her flying watch the GPS and tap the little Happy button with your thumb till shes really happy . Thanks Dave . I dont have a plug to plug into it thow . If I clip the plug out and wire it straight to the boat where do they go on the boat side of things ?? Ild assume the red goes to Battery . Does the single solenoid power up and down or does the weight of the motor bring it down . My other Merc has 2 solenoids and powers down both directions .

Re:Tilt and Trim Swapping Pluss How do the wires hook 12 years 11 months ago #38676

i think it powers up,

Re:Tilt and Trim Swapping Pluss How do the wires hook 12 years 11 months ago #38677

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Not sure if this will help, but thought it may be worth looking at?;
www.arcomarine.com/xhtml/tech%20tilt%20trim%20motor%20tips.pdf

Mark

Re:Tilt and Trim Swapping Pluss How do the wires hook 12 years 11 months ago #38702

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks Guys . Ill play with it today and see what happens Hope I dont see smoke ...L.O.L.. Hey Dave . I was just on Old mercs .com Is that your KG7 in the photo gallery ?? Nice looking motor . Do you race hydros ??

Re:Tilt and Trim Swapping Pluss How do the wires hook 12 years 11 months ago #38709

yes it is a custom made motor. my idea all merc parts but merc never made one. i have a hydro for fun only 50-55mph with that motor.
for pics email me
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Re:Tilt and Trim Swapping Pluss How do the wires hook 12 years 11 months ago #38775

I went out and pulled the wiring on mine to see how we wired that switch in. Green from the switch to green from the solenoid, purple from the switch to red from the solenoid, and blue from the switch to combined blue & purple wires from the solenoid. I have a two solenoid pump.

Frank
Attachments:

Re:Tilt and Trim Swapping Pluss How do the wires hook 12 years 11 months ago #38835

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks Guys . With your help and a little thinking I figured it out . Red in that coupling conector thing goes to the controls .Green wire to hot side of solenoid goes down Blue wire kicks in the solenoid it goes up .You need a hot lead going to the positive side of solenoid to .I think my motor is getting tired .She will run fine for a bit but when its under load heading up it hits and misses .Powers down pretty well .Think maybe the brushs are getting worn .Can a Guy buy just brushs ??

Re:Tilt and Trim Swapping Pluss How do the wires hook 12 years 11 months ago #38860

might just need a cleaning of the brish holders.

Re:Tilt and Trim Swapping Pluss How do the wires hook 12 years 11 months ago #38923

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks Dave ill try that .

Re:Tilt and Trim Swapping Pluss How do the wires hook 12 years 11 months ago #39163

maybe this will help....

Re:Tilt and Trim Swapping Pluss How do the wires hook 12 years 11 months ago #39171

bobo wrote:

Thanks Guys . With your help and a little thinking I figured it out . Red in that coupling conector thing goes to the controls .Green wire to hot side of solenoid goes down Blue wire kicks in the solenoid it goes up .You need a hot lead going to the positive side of solenoid to .I think my motor is getting tired .She will run fine for a bit but when its under load heading up it hits and misses .Powers down pretty well .Think maybe the brushs are getting worn .Can a Guy buy just brushs ??

Take one out and take it to NAPA. If they can't help, find a 12V electrical service around, they'll have it. Or should!

Frank

Re:Tilt and Trim Swapping Pluss How do the wires hook 12 years 11 months ago #39225

i would take the pump motor apart and look at the brushes, usually the brush holders are a little rusty so the brushes bind up and don't make good contact. if the brushes do need to be replaced find a hardware store that sells replacement brushes for power tools and you might be able to match something up.
good luck

Re:Tilt and Trim Swapping Pluss How do the wires hook 12 years 11 months ago #39783

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
I have not heard anyone mention the trim limit switch. This is located in the trim cyl stern bracket, it is essential this limit switch be use otherwise you risk trimming beyond the clamp bracket while under power, this puts all the loads onto the tilt tube, it is not designed for this. The limit switch is set so the tilt stops before the swivel bracket tilts beyond the clamp bracket. The "third" button on the older Merc tilt control allows the motor to be further tilted up when beaching, etc. overiding the limit switch.
Randy

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Inboard Gear box
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
07-03-2024

Inboard Manifolds
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)