• Page:

TOPIC: need info on mag problem

need info on mag problem 12 years 11 months ago #38124

• frog
  • frog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
i have got a 1966 merc 500, and thanks to a very helpful member i got a starter for it. now is the time to check out the no spark issue. does anyone of you have a diagram of the power and grounds for the mag? and any spec's on ohms for the coil, i'am going to replace the pts and conds. also i need the flat plate and screw that goes on top of the mag on top of the belt sprocket. looks like some one had there fingers in this motor before me. thanks, the ser # is 2108376 . frog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: need info on mag problem 12 years 11 months ago #38130

call me 1 914 310 7086. Dave.

Re:need info on mag problem 12 years 11 months ago #38133

• frog
  • frog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
dave, hi i'll call you tomorrow evening. it is 11 pm here now . what time is too late to call. thanks frog

Re:need info on mag problem 12 years 11 months ago #38163

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Dave why dont you give any info on here? when I asked for help or a schematic for my Mark 35a. You asked me to call then wanted to sell me a magneto. If I had wanted to buy one I would have asked if some one had one to sell. All I needed was some info. by the way just needed a quick cleaning of the points, I do thank you for the input on the timing marks however. It works great now. Sorry thats been bugging me for a while now.. Frog sorry for the Rant. I ended up looking at info for a similar mag that works on my 4 cylinder Case tractor.. as a reference. Oh and the info from www.agott.com/glassboat/manuals.html not really in depth but better than nothing!

Re:need info on mag problem 12 years 11 months ago #38165

also i need the flat plate and screw that goes on top of the mag on top of the belt sprocket.

Frog
post a pic of your pulley there are more than 1 style top plate

does anyone of you have a diagram of the power and grounds for the mag?

never seen one..not sure I understand what you looking for... ground wire of coil grounds to mag body ,
power wire of coil goes to the bolt/stud with non conductive spacers that your kill wire, points connects to

and any spec's on ohms for the coil,

I dont know the readings, but a quick test is with a screw driver touch/ground the screw driver to the mag body the other end of driver held min 1/4" away form the brass tang of the coil, now rotate the mag shaft with a quick snap and spark needs to jump at least 1/4"

its best to completely disassemble the whole mag clean the rotor & inside the mag with 400grit sand paper, check the bearings & if they catch or snag at all replace them.

Re:need info on mag problem 12 years 11 months ago #38166

sorry you felt that way i gave you info and said in the worst case senario and you couldn't get it going i had one for sale just trying to help out not drive a sale.

Re:need info on mag problem 12 years 11 months ago #38170

Dave why dont you give any info on here?

not everyone is a stellar typist, with as many people DaveB helps & this isnt the only mercury spot he frequents, he'd need a secretary/typist at 90 word per min :ohmy:

Re:need info on mag problem 12 years 11 months ago #38177

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Sorry guys it just frustrates me when you ask for a little infor just a link or whatever and you get a "call me" then find its a sales push. That may not have been the point just how it seemed on my end., when all I needed was a diagram or what have you. However I just thaught of an olf Mechanics illistrated I have that I think covers many magneto's and I think the Mercury (KIEKHAEFER) May have been in there. I will look latter and post the article if it is. The genneral info may be usefull also.

Re:need info on mag problem 12 years 11 months ago #38179

Frog,

I had a similar issue with a early 60's 50 I picked up recently. It had been out of service for a while and I was getting no spark.

I pulled the Mag...removed the points, cleaned, reset the gap. Make sure you also clean the inside of the dist cap really well. You can even test for spark with the mag off....put in a spark plug and twist the distributor gear and the plug should snap.(careful not to touch either of the bolts on the mag when doing so or you will surely find out of you got spark...the hard way.

Good luck.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6347 guests and one member online