TOPIC: whats a fair offer?

whats a fair offer? 12 years 11 months ago #38049

• Matt
  • Matt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
found a Merc 115 w/ controls and trim on CL
bad cylinder they have removed some of the piese to inspect.
seller pruchased different motor for boat and trying to sell.
they are 2hrs from me and asked me for an offer, i told them i would look up repair parts and w/o seeing it was hard to determine...

I've been hunting for a 90 tower, but this is the dirst 115 i ran across seperated from a boat.?

so whats a fair offer w/o ticking seller off?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !

Re:whats a fair offer? 12 years 11 months ago #38052

depends on condition. rough all there with blown piston without trim $100. With trim its worth what the trim is and thats about $200.

In Chicagoland there is this nice Mariner 115 for sale, but you have to get the boat too. I wanted it but unable to realistly get it done. If you can ditch the boat sell the trailer for $100 it would be a great one to own.

CLICK HERE

Conrad

Re:whats a fair offer? 12 years 11 months ago #38062

milkdud wrote:

depends on condition. rough all there with blown piston without trim $100. With trim its worth what the trim is and thats about $200.

In Chicagoland there is this nice Mariner 115 for sale, but you have to get the boat too. I wanted it but unable to realistly get it done. If you can ditch the boat sell the trailer for $100 it would be a great one to own.

CLICK HERE

Conrad

I'd agree with that.

I paid $100 for a complete 1150 in fair condition(good compression) with controls last year. No power trim. Aside from a new switch box, I'm confident it would be a runner but I'm using it for parts to keep my 1350 alive.

Re:whats a fair offer? 12 years 11 months ago #38100

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
so i got with the seller...
he's thinking 350-400 range and if i got ther sooner maybe work with me a bit?

do i do it? and how many motors does one buy inhope to fix, and make some $$ on a turn around?

currently inventory...50hp on my boat,picked up a non runner 50hp last night, 1-650, 1-80 just pulled power head, 2- 850 (1 so but runs, the other rebuilt one, 1- non run'r 1000, and 1 1500 runner.
i enjoy messing with these, but nervous about my ability to doing a tear down and reassembling?..

or do I pass in hope of finding a 90 tower that running?

going to think it over....extra trim set up would be nice...

Matt in Illinois

Re:whats a fair offer? 12 years 11 months ago #38106

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
It sounds like a pass to me, non runner known to have a bad piston, unless you need the trim and controls, Maybe some other parts that will cost you more than $200 to get elsewhere... It just seems you could find a whole boat motor and trailer running for the above CL offer.. Just my opinion.. Maybe give your offer and phone number to let them think it over and see if you can get it for $100 or $200 just be patient.

Re:whats a fair offer? 12 years 11 months ago #38111

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
i was hoping about 250?
i just picked a second trim set up 3 weeks ago and as stated above picked up a 50hp last night...

may take your idea stashm2 and just do that

UPDATED:added @ 9:40 pm..
I replied the seller stating to big of a gamble w/o knowing what the actual issue is..if its a broken ring and scored the wall its prob. junk... i told them i was looking at it in the 200-250 arena..gave him my # told him to think it over...otherwise I owuld be on the hunt still.

Matt in Illinois

Re:whats a fair offer? 12 years 11 months ago #38146

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
so replied back last night...told them I was only looking at 200-250 depending on overall condition when I got there....told them if that wasn;t what he was looking for then perhaps he could wait or part it out and make a lil more $$..
my response was they'd do 250 no lower ... they said it would make him room and wouldnt have the hassle of parting and selling....so think the kids will be taking a road trip today with dad ! if its a POS i have the power trim and few parts that I know are worht a bit $$ to reap back some cash !!

Matt in Illinois

Re:whats a fair offer? todays adventure ! 12 years 11 months ago #38209

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
so i get there thinking maybe its a find...
come to find out the motor had been sitting for 5 years, the control box was in pieces, no key (was told there was one)...everything was boxed up.after investigaing it abit further motor was on a hoist intake port off and no plugs it wouldn't budge.
it actually looked as if it had been sitting outside at some point with the IP off crap inside...after me looking at he was like I'd knock $50 since no key..i was like i wouldn't give you more that 100 for it he didn;t want to go that low so we discussed his options, I explained s few thing as far to help part it out, he then asks if I'd do 150 to get it out of his garage...i cringed but but better than 250...power trim should be worth that if nothing else works...skeg was good and has one of those fabulas hydrofoils on it......oh well I head to wis end of the week I'll have to keep my eyes peeled.

Matt in Illinois

Re:whats a fair offer? todays adventure ! 12 years 11 months ago #38231

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Sheesh you had the same day I did... I decided to check back on a 1972 500 here and it was still available wanted 150 for it last week now they want 75 I was like ok.. I will take a look. supposedly ran last year changed impeller and then it wouldn't run. I get there, the controls are in pieces, the wiring harness is all cut apart, switch box is hanging out bolts out of it all over, but it had a new starter and a decent looking prop if it will come off.. on further inspection the lower unit is broken by the exhaust ports and the rubber mount covers are gone. but I gave him $50 for it to get the starter and prop.. power head seems ok I will test the compression tomorrow still has a merc tag on the case and turns freely seems to have decent compression turning by hand so ... oh get this were there looking at it and hes like I dont know why it wont start I just look at the controls and the like and wonder how he even began to think he could get it to start...

Re:whats a fair offer? todays adventure ! 12 years 11 months ago #38244

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
haha...to funny..the other day I picked up a Merc 500 w/ controls i paid 200..control box no scaring or fading (no key) didn;t know if it ran or not.nor did the seller...it is a match to mine I'm running, good lower and a prop (13p)..got it home no spark and #1 only had like 50psi...oh well

todays adventure which i could have gotten it a little cheaper..but 150 figured trim set was worth that....and i was in the shop. threw a breaker bar on it, and it spun not a lot of effeort either, shot some lube in the cyclinder and gave it a few mre turns...the harness from what I can tell looks like the cut the batter leads like 3" from the plug...trying to stay + on it it does have a toggle style trim switch that mounts to handle...

Matt in Illinois

Re:whats a fair offer? todays adventure ! 12 years 11 months ago #38246

Thats cool, sometimes its worth the parts.

Re:whats a fair offer? todays adventure ! 12 years 11 months ago #38282

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Glad it sounds like its not completely shot! my 500 is in my trunk still... its going to resurect my other 1970 500, that one had 120 on #2->4 and 5 on #1..... so I am hopeing I can swap the powerhead... not sure it will fit or not any rate the prop and spare parts are worth what I paid.

Re:whats a fair offer? todays adventure ! 12 years 11 months ago #38303

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
sometimes..yeah...problem will be i will have to assemble it partially to do a few tests myself to see what i want to do..what i was told was they were on the water and then the motor just kind lost its mojo, they were cruising along and then went from wot power to like 1/4 throttle ?

Matt in Illinois

Re:whats a fair offer? todays adventure ! 12 years 11 months ago #38326

Hey stashm2, is that the Merc 500 that was in Chadron, NE? I almost went and got it. I need the lower unit for my spare 68 Merc 500. I'm glad I didn't make the long drive, since it had a bad lower.

1970 Glastron V-142 SkiFlite
1965 Merc 500
1968 Merc 500

Re:whats a fair offer? todays adventure ! 12 years 11 months ago #38327

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Nope this one was in Albany NY, Listed for 200 talked to him last weekend droped to 120on the phone. Texted last night only wanted 75 then I dickered him down from there... its a pice probably should have left it to die... but I will look at it tonight, see if its savable...

Re:whats a fair offer? todays adventure ! 12 years 11 months ago #38329

stashm2 wrote:

Nope this one was in Albany NY, Listed for 200 talked to him last weekend droped to 120on the phone. Texted last night only wanted 75 then I dickered him down from there... its a pice probably should have left it to die... but I will look at it tonight, see if its savable...

I see. Strange how the one in Chadron, NE was a 72 Merc 500 too. He wanted $150 last week and then he lowered it to $75. Hopefully you can get a few good parts off of it to make up for the $50.

1970 Glastron V-142 SkiFlite
1965 Merc 500
1968 Merc 500

Re:whats a fair offer? todays adventure ! 12 years 11 months ago #38333

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Oh I am sure I can just in this and that spares, starter, carbs coil distributor cap and rotor... prob.... should work out fine I will likely scrap the spoils sadly or work on learnig to weld aluminum.

Re:whats a fair offer? 12 years 11 months ago #38379

I hope I have better luck than you guys. I picked up an 85 boat with a Merc 650 for $200. The controls shot I have a spare set. Had to drain the water out after it got below freezing. added some oil. Also put some Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinders. Put 12V. to the starter. she turned over. Plugs looked good. from previous use.
Just a matter of getting to it. :(
Attachments:

Re:whats a fair offer? 12 years 11 months ago #38395

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
trust me I can tell from here its in better shape than this one lol. all the ones I have gotten that werer forgotten in the tweeters on boats have been just fine so far a little oil some new wires and vroom. so I wish you luck!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7176 guests and one member online