Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 115hp dies in gear

115hp dies in gear 12 years 11 months ago #38042

Im looking at a boat running a 115 merc (unsure of year at this point). The owner says it starts and idles fine and ran great last year but, this year it dies when put in gear. Any ideas on what to look for and what could be wrong?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:115hp dies in gear 12 years 11 months ago #38060

things to check for this symptom
look for air/fuel leaks in the entire fuel delivery system...check to see you actually have fuel pumping from the fuel pump, and if all is well richen the idle mixture till it does not die in gear

Re:115hp dies in gear 12 years 11 months ago #38117

Ignition Timing? I had an Evinrude did exactly the same thing, it's possible the belt slipped a tooth.

In an old engine it's often a combination of many little things. If you're inclined to pop the carb open I'd say to clean the high speed jets. You might try Seafoam first, I've had good luck with it.

Re:115hp dies in gear 12 years 11 months ago #38174

Ill go look at it tonight... The guy wants $800 for the boat/motor/trailer. Right now I figure worst case I can offer $600 and repower with the Johnson 115 I already have.

Looking at the boat and motor pics Im guessing its a early to mid 80's motor. Its on an 81 Baja thats been taken care of so I am hoping the motor has been cared for.

Re:115hp dies in gear 12 years 11 months ago #38175

good luck hope it works out for you, take a compression tester

Re:115hp dies in gear 12 years 11 months ago #38215

and the answer is... driveline damage. Starts, idles, runs just fine. Put it in gear and bam, lugs it right down. Had a brand new prop on it, that when I started questioning him, was added the outing prior to the motor issue. Little talking and found out he hit something and shredded the prior prop. Either way, he wouldnt budge off te price and with no title on the trailer it wasnt worth it to me.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6175 guests and 2 members online