• Page:

TOPIC: 9.8(110) Driving me crazy.

9.8(110) Driving me crazy. 12 years 11 months ago #37888

• barnfinder
  • barnfinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I swore after going thru this one other time on the same darn little 9.8 series, that I would stay away. Well so much for that ...now I have two more. A red stripe 67 that is working great after a little tweeking and a blue strip 77 that is giving me fits.

I must have taken the carb on and off 10 times again and still won't continue to run. Fires up and then within seconds starts to die down and quits. As in starving for fuel?
It is not the tank line valve etc....same one I use on all my merc restores.
I have replaced the needle(actually used one I had from my previous adventures), new float, new gaskets, and cleaned the carb out really well. Gasket set for some reason, did not come with the diaphram for the fuel pump (this has the integrated fuel pump in the carb btw).

Maybe the float level is still not right(can only adjust the level and not the drop with these newer plastic floats and a single metal tang.)? Or maybe the needle is stucking? I didnt want to have to do it but I guess I am going to have to cut the clamp on the fuel line connecting to the plastic connector on the carb so I can put a piece of hose on it and blow into it to see if the needle is closing when turned upside down.

Quite frustrating to say the least. The last time I went thru this entire same issues I ended up buying a used carb off a guy and it solved the problem. Don't want to let it beat me this time again.

Thanks,
Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re: 9.8(110) Driving me crazy. 12 years 11 months ago #37942

These are classic symptoms of blockage / dirt in the carburetor.
Revisit carburetor work.
Boost venturi is in place / not broken. ??

Re: 9.8(110) Driving me crazy. 12 years 11 months ago #37963

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Actually the venturi did have a broken arm and I replaced that as well. Only thing I did not do is break the lock-tight on the screw to remove the idle tube and clean in there. That is my next step tomorrow.

Thanks.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re: 9.8(110) Driving me crazy. 12 years 11 months ago #37965

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I will bet the dime sized diaphragm is worn

Re: 9.8(110) Driving me crazy. 12 years 11 months ago #37968

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
You know what Jim...I was thinking that and the damn gasket kit I bought had everything but the diaphram(its actually about the size of a quarter in the circle). This was probably the issue I dealt with at whits end the last time. These little integrated fuel pump carbs are a real finicky deal.

Gotta find a source for it. It's just too damn hot up here now to be cranking a pull cord on a small motor. From now on I'll stick to electric starts only.....lol. Stay tuned for a new thread on my latest find last weekend....hint: It has 6 cyls and is white(any guess's?)

Thanks for the idea.

Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

Re: 9.8(110) Driving me crazy. 12 years 11 months ago #38029

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I have the problem solved. It was probably an issue with some guck in the idle tube....actually white stuff that is most likely some of the alum oxidization that was evident within the carb. I also reset the float level.

In any case it is running/idle pretty darn well now.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7144 guests and one member online