Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: merc 500 runs out of water.....

merc 500 runs out of water..... 12 years 11 months ago #36981

hello everybody first time posting.

about a year ago i got a bass angler 1974 with a 60s model merc 500. its a 66 or 67 if i remember correctly. i got it from a cop that said it ran good just had a slight miss to it. he started it with the ear muffs on it, it ran great took throttle and everything. well when i finally got it home and put it in the water it acted like a different boat. wouldnt take throttle hard to start ect... i ended up taking it out and it probably got up to a whole 5 mph wouldn't plane out or anything. took it to a boat mechanic he told me it wasn't getting fire on all cylinders and didnt charge me anything for looking at it. i got it home checked the fire and it was firing on all cylinders i checked it a few times. i let it set for almsot a year and today i tore back down into it. i started at the carbs thinking the carbs are gummed up i took the main jets out and there was 2 long cracks in each of the main jets.... would this be what is causing my problems? i did a compression check on the cylinders and they all had above 90.... any help would be great. iv been trying to figure this boat out for well over a year and still have gotten no where.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:merc 500 runs out of water..... 12 years 11 months ago #36983

Brad,
Can you be more specific regarding the cracks.
The actual main jets are E-D-B-D brass things, less than 1/4" diameter and less than 1/4" in length with a screwdriver slot in the outer end and a small hole drilled in the center.
Can you post a picture of what is cracked?
Pictures won't post unless you shrink the pixels down to below about 1000 X 750ish or slightly smaller.
Thom

Re:merc 500 runs out of water..... 12 years 11 months ago #36985

yes the actual main jets have a hair line crack in them both the little thing below is a jet... the -- is the tube of it that's 1/4in < is were the tube gets bigger and goes to the threaded part II is the threaded part hope it helps. the cracckk is how far the crack is up each jet. there both about the same lenth its just a hair line crack but it goes all the jet. drawing is the best i can come up with right now. i attempted to use jb weld to fill in the cracks cause im having a hard time finding any replacements. i know it wount be a permanent fix but im thinking it will give me some idea if that's the culprit or not. iv never seen a jet in a carb crack like that before. im thinking its sucking air and not getting enough fuel but im no expert.

<III
crraaccck

O-

0 is jet tube

- is were crack goes threw it stops before it gets to the threaded part of the tube about 1/4in-3/8ins before the threaded part of the jet

Re:merc 500 runs out of water..... 12 years 11 months ago #37029

• tim_c
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Brad; If I'm looking at your drawing correctly. I'd say those are the idle jets. If they're cracked as you say It could be causing your problem. I probably have some of those here. Shoot me an Email & I'll have a look.
Tim

Re:merc 500 runs out of water..... 12 years 11 months ago #37056

i might have to take you up on them... i got her fired back up finally but now im not getting fuel weres do i get a fuel pump rebuild kit for my motor?

Re:merc 500 runs out of water..... 12 years 11 months ago #38119

this project went to the back burner i bought a 1977 glastron with a chrysler 100 hp i think im gonna end up saleing it and just take the old merc to the shop. im still waiting for my fuel pump rebuild kit to get here i ordered it a week ago.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7107 guests and one member online