• Page:

TOPIC: 63 Merc 35- Patiently Waiting on Response

63 Merc 35- Patiently Waiting on Response 13 years 2 days ago #35713

• barnfinder
  • barnfinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Just saw this on local CL. Sent email and waiting.

I assume that this is the next gen of the Merc 300 that I once found in a barn, restored, and sold with a boat.

rochester.craigslist.org/boa/2468069511.html

Thoughts? Any known issues with this model besides the obvious age stuff?

Thanks.

Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:63 Merc 35- Patiently Waiting on Response 13 years 2 days ago #35716

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Looking good Tim.
$150 sounds in the ballpark also. Contols too.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:63 Merc 35- Patiently Waiting on Response 13 years 2 days ago #35718

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Controls(and a decent wiring harness) are always the turning point on these smaller one's in my opinion. Other parts are much easier to acquire right Neil. ...Except for my strange side-slinger starter on my Mark 55E(bendix goes sideways to engage the flywheel and not up on the spring like normal...a year later and still not found one).

Take care...still waiting for the call. Might have been a bit late...45 mins after posting.

Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:63 Merc 35- Patiently Waiting on Response 13 years 1 day ago #35761

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
No call... must of missed this one. It happens. Just called about another similar that just popped.

Vintage 1963 Mercury 35 Hp,M350,Nice! - $250
rochester.craigslist.org/boa/2468684816.html

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

Re:63 Merc 35- Patiently Waiting on Response 13 years 1 day ago #35768

The first CL ad posted was of a 350 twin that would have originally been black ('63 is a possible model year for sure) and was one of the better large bore twins from the '60s-'70s provided you installed the 'free-bee' replacement coils provided by Merc back-in-the-day.
They had an under the flywheel magneto - Phelon style - that was a great starter & idler, etc once the original coils were replaced.

The second CL ad posted of a 350 Merc was actually originally a Cloud White 4 cyl 350. I 'think' it was a 40 ci - like the Mark 55, but not positive. It 'could' be a 44 ci like the 58A, 400, etc with a small set of carbs - I just don't recall.
Either way - a very sweet running little 4 cyl when properly maintained.
This model still used the water pump impeller that is recessed in the top of the gear case and requires a spanner wrench to R&R.
Thom

Re:63 Merc 35- Patiently Waiting on Response 13 years 1 day ago #35810

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks as usual for the great insight Thom.

I actually did get a call back on both of these today. You are on the money on the second and it was indeed a painted 300. The guy said it had no controls etc but after I talked to him a bit he is apparently a hoarder/collector of all things old and listed off a bunch of motors he had. He said he had a white 400 with controls in really good condition for $350 and a Red/Sand Mark 58 in great shape without controls for $450. And he said he had others and was going to pick up a couple more this week. Very unique guy that I have to keep his number for sure...said he found a barrel back-like Feathercraft down the road in a barn the other day that he is going to put a K series racer on it.

Ok back to the 35... I did speak with the guy who bought the package for the trailer and didn't want the motor. Said it was run for him and included controls and was in good condition. Gonna meet him on Fri or Sat. Said there was one issue with the manual recoil...apparently the flywheel and starter were replaced(maybe even the better coils..fingers crossed) but in any case the recoil does not engage it properly. I'll have to see what that is about but it is electric start.

Stay tuned and I'll keep ya posted.

Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5382 guests and no members online