Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Merc 1000 with fluctuating power / response

Merc 1000 with fluctuating power / response 13 years 6 days ago #35301

Just put my 64' Glastron VS in the lake today, with the Merc 1000,
this motor has been on the boat 30 plus years, and I have had them about 6 years.
Today, although the motor was firing on all cylinders and running smoothly, there were some moments when I definitely felt some loss of power.
Thinking it might be fuel, I had my son squeeze the bulb while we were running, the bulb stayed collapsed. Wondering if this could be a dirty filter, or an aged and ailing fuel line?
Vents on caps were open, new fuel, no past history of this.

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Merc 1000 with fluctuating power / response 13 years 5 days ago #35315

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Most tanks have a screen or filter on the bottom of the pickup tube, and there are check valves in the bulb that could be "gummed up" or malfunctioning. Old rubber hoses begin to deteriorate and break down after time, and the introduction of methanol into our gas speeds this process greatly. If it's been at least six years, I would definitely replace all the rubber fuel hoses and bulb assy. (with newer "alcohol resistant" stuff). The crud created when the rubber breaks down will wreak havoc with your carbs, and you sure don't want to run the motor lean! Just my two cents worth......

No more help until we see some pics! Just kidding, good luck with your project Dave. ;)

Mark

Re:Merc 1000 with fluctuating power / response 13 years 5 days ago #35316

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Dave
I am with Mark. Updating your fuel system from the tank to the motor will be the best way to eliminate problems. Being dead out on the water is no good if a few dollars could have avoided it. It's just routine maintenance. We do like pictures. ;)
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5532 guests and one member online