• Page:

TOPIC: What way to go ??

What way to go ?? 13 years 1 week ago #35138

• bobo
  • bobo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I got my 56 Glasspar Delmar ..I bought a 50 hp 4 cyl But Dummy me didnt check to see if it was a long shaft .It was one of those days ..I recently picked up a 40 hp 2 cyl . Runs great and its a long shaft ..Now a guy wants to trade me a 50 hp long shaft for some stuff I got that he needs ..Problem is its been supposedly converted to a tiller ..So I was thinking ..Could I take the remote parts off of the short shaft 50 and just put them on the Tiller ?? The tiller is a blue stripe with CDI and he shorty is a Distributer Red stripe ..He says all ya got to do is swap the handle out with the remote parts . You dont have to change the housing ..Is this true ? Or should I just run the 40 hp ?? Aint looking for speed here just to get up on plane with people onboard .I also might get back a G3 I gave a guy years ago . They are short Transoms arent they ? Thought I could put the 50 shorty on it ..Choices Choices ...Your Oppion ??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:What way to go ?? 13 years 1 week ago #35141

If it is a Mercury OEM tiller motor, then the only things you'd have to do are remove the tiller assembly and (maybe) loosen up the steering tensioner. The tiller bits are straight bolt-on stuff. You MIGHT need to add a piece for the steering cable to attach to, depending on the years involved.

Another option would be to swap the 50hp powerhead you have onto the 40hp lower unit you have, as they use the same stuff from the belly pan on down - IF they're in the same year ranges....

- Scott

Re:What way to go ?? 13 years 1 week ago #35180

I agree with Scott. You should be able to shuffle parts with ease between the two 50 HPs and probably the 40 HP's DSH (drive shaft housing)as a unit. Is the 40 HP a 402 model?
The key will be to check and see if the ones without a tiller have a small end bolted onto the steering arm with (2) cap-screws.
If so - remove that small piece with a threaded hole used to attach the steering drag link to the steering cable used with a remote helm and bolt the tiller on in the same place.
The other key for shuffling the entire powerheads around or swapping entire DSHs will be whether or not they all use either the same powerhead to EEP (exhaust extension plate) gasket or the same EEP to DSH gasket and shuffle accordingly.
You can check the gasket part numbers, etc at the following link by scrolling down to the model Merc and then locating the specific serial number group to compare part numbers.

www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/jsp/AsplIsmHomeCcat.jsp?reqFor=29&req4Browse=1&lvlCode=1&isFromCMS=false&hideAdd2CartButton=&isStandAlone=&is4CmsShop=&reqln=Unknown&reqem=Unknown&reqph=Unknown&pCode=A0000001&path=MM~A0000001&isForSupStore=true&cCatFilter=MM&eCatSupFldr=supplier-050-025-MM

Thom

Re:What way to go ?? 13 years 1 week ago #35181

Re:What way to go ?? 13 years 6 days ago #35228

• bobo
  • bobo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Was a 402 just a 40 hp twin ? They had 40 hp 4 clyinders didnt they ?? Mines a twin

Re:What way to go ?? 13 years 6 days ago #35242

Yes the 402 is a twin 40hp.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5098 guests and no members online