Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Still trying to understand, controls for 1969 Merc

Still trying to understand, controls for 1969 Merc 13 years 1 week ago #34854

I will put it this way,

Can you guys explain in [in redneck terms] is there any NEW control box that I can buy that will hook up to the original shifter and throttle cable on my 1969 Merc 1000-100hp? It has the " cobra head " female plug with 8 prongs from the controls to 7 prong male on the motor. I would like to get new just for smooth ops. If possible I can use the old wiring harness, just want to find something that I can use the same control cables on and splice the wiring harness in to work. The boy and wife cant wait for me to get his vessel water worthy! lol! Your help is much appriciated!

Thanks for your time,
P.S. this had the old MerControl box original with the power trim and tilt in the handle and Tach harness on the front.
Nate

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Still trying to understand, controls for 1969 Merc 13 years 1 week ago #34860

any merc control will work. you can even mount you wireing harness in the dash if you like or in the controlls.

Re: Still trying to understand, controls for 1969 Merc 13 years 1 week ago #34866

As far as I know there is no NEW conrols that work. And if there was NEW would be very $$$$$

ebay has several controlls that will work. Any of the square boxes in either white, black, blue red will work. I will post a few here in a moment.

You could hardwire a dash set up like Dave said too. You just need to power the choke, starter and ignition. all buttons that can be on the dash.

But WAYYY easier to have the control box

here are a few:

this is the correct color for your year ok looking but no key. Keys can be gotten at dealerships if they will help you:180681926474
a newer blue one a bit pricy: 110701216080
nice one with trim buttons: 260805069239

Now you know what to look for. yes you can change out cables, but if you have not done it before it can be a bit tricky. And you might get overwhelmed. Once you get the hang of it its a 10 min job.

Id probably watch the two red ones. The one without a key does not bother me if you have a dealer that has the old keys. A key will cost 2 bucks if they have it.

conrad

Re: Still trying to understand, controls for 1969 Merc 13 years 1 week ago #34878

If you can't find a sweet original style controller you can always identify the specific components inside that are worn out and I can send you nice good condition used parts.
If you are interested in a much later style controller with potentially less wear time, etc,...They do show up on eBay.
I have attached the one I use.
I run an early '60s 800FGS and an '87 115 with this control box so it will work with with many Mercs.
I believe it is called a Series 4000. It requires your wiring harness go to the dash rather than the controller though.
No big deal though.
Just purchase an ignition with a push-in-the-key to CHOKE and you'll only need to drill one small hole in the dash for the ignition.
The power trim is in the handle, and it comes equipped with a ssafety shut-off switch used with a lanyard.
Thom
Attachments:

Re: Still trying to understand, controls for 1969 Merc 13 years 1 week ago #34927

That looks nice THom, how much are those?

Re: Still trying to understand, controls for 1969 Merc 13 years 1 week ago #34949

So the cables will hook up to this controller that I have already, or will I have to purchase different ones? Thanks for all your help! This is more in line with what I would like to do!

Re: Still trying to understand, controls for 1969 Merc 13 years 1 week ago #34971

I am now lost. What are you asking? Are you looking for new cables for your old box? Or are you looking for a new box to use with the cables you currently have?

Conrad

Re: Still trying to understand, controls for 1969 Merc 13 years 1 week ago #34974

Sorry milkdud,
Looking for a new box to use with the cables I currently have.

Re: Still trying to understand, controls for 1969 Merc 13 years 1 week ago #34987

Ahhh I misread the quote "this controller I have already" I see what you mean now.

Thom will have to answer if that controller works with standard old merc cables.

Conrad

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5651 guests and one member online