Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: new controls for 1969 Merc 1000-100HP,

new controls for 1969 Merc 1000-100HP, 13 years 3 months ago #34297

Hey guys,

Found another bad problem today on my old Glastron, Thought you might be able to help again. It has a 69' Mercury 1000-100hp with a Mercontrol with power T/T- this thing is shot inside! Wires are completely bare and internals are terrible. Is there a good aftermarket replacement that anyone knows of that will be easy to install? It has a 7 pin connection on the motor and is in need of the wiring harness that runs from the controls to the motor also, dont trust the old one.

Thanks-you guys are legends!

Nate

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:new controls for 1969 Merc 1000-100HP, 13 years 3 months ago #34300

no aftermarket mainly because of the esoteric wiring harness...again ebay there are Used controls all day every day
expect to pay $100-150 for a good working set

I dont know if your trim button is intgrated into the controls or not but you can buy any set of controls with the same pin connector pattern in the cobra head wiring harness and add a separate trim buttons switch if necessary

Re:new controls for 1969 Merc 1000-100HP, 13 years 3 months ago #34306

Thanks MadProps,

So on ebay the Mercury Controls that pop up in the search that are new, with 8pin wiring configuration and tilt trim in the handle will work then?

Thanks,
Nate

Re:new controls for 1969 Merc 1000-100HP, 13 years 3 months ago #34309

post a pic of your controls I may have a spare set

Re:new controls for 1969 Merc 1000-100HP, 13 years 3 months ago #34325

This is a pic of the same one as I have except I had Tilt Trim up and down on the side of the handle. I just got it taken apart and man the wires are just plane dust! lol!

Thanks again,

Nate
Attachments:

Re:new controls for 1969 Merc 1000-100HP, 13 years 3 months ago #34328

sorry forgot to ask whats the power cable length ...

sounds like the controller end of the power cable wires are bad??
is the entire power cable wires shot? can you not just cut out the bad wire and but splice new wire, Ive done this before

Re:new controls for 1969 Merc 1000-100HP, 13 years 3 months ago #34369

MadProps,

The Cable length is 15ft. Yes, I can splice the wires. Done that pretty much on all the rest. You are correct, the wires in the control box are the ones that are shot. I would just solder and splice new to the switch, choke, tach and stuff, but they are to far gone to even try in my opinion! Even if I just find a standard control with the key switch, choke, and bare minimum that would be fine- I could wire the tilt trim to a seperate switch on the dash.
Thanks for all your help,
Nate

Re:new controls for 1969 Merc 1000-100HP, 13 years 3 months ago #34384

Here are a couple of pictures of a new aftermarket 20' wiring harness that we sold to a customer fairly recently.

Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Attachments:

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:new controls for 1969 Merc 1000-100HP, 13 years 3 months ago #34675

THat is the same one on my friends boat. I just put a new ignition switch in yesterday and the wires were shot. I re routed the cable and it gave me an extra foot to work with I cut it back and the wire was much better. Just to be safe I put shrink wrap on each wire and one big piece on the set to support it. Then re soldered everything. If you can do the same maybe you can get to good wires to work with.

Re:new controls for 1969 Merc 1000-100HP, 13 years 3 months ago #34676

Ferguson_Poole wrote:

Here are a couple of pictures of a new aftermarket 20' wiring harness that we sold to a customer fairly recently.

Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

How much for the new harness?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online