Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help! Newbee on a 1969 Mercury 1000 100HP

Help! Newbee on a 1969 Mercury 1000 100HP 13 years 3 months ago #34256

Hello,

I have recently purchased a 70's glastron v166 that has a 1969 Mercury 1000 100HP Thunderbolt Ignition on it. I just got it water worthy and took it out last weekend. Please bear with me here because this is the first boat I have ever owned or worked on, and it has been a trial.

My question is, it ran fine down stream on the river close to my home town, started up stream, put the tilt/trim down-started and Idled great-as soon as put into forward gear,it died immediatly. Do I have a fuel delivery problem, or is forward gear out? After inspection of the lower unit-Forward gear, prop turns in clockwise direction and clicks,it does not turn in Counter Clockwise direction without turning motor compression, Neutral spins free both ways, reverse- has motor compression both ways. Is the Forward gear messed up, or is it supposed to spin and click? As I said, be nice-Im not an idiot, just a first timer that wants to see this old Merc take life and run! I am distraught-spent a week rewiring this whole motor and getting it running, runs fine out of water on the muffs, but as soon as the prop hits water it dies.
Thanks for your help!
Nate

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Help! Newbee on a 1969 Mercury 1000 100HP 13 years 3 months ago #34261

firstly check all fuel lines, fittings ,clamps,fuel pump from carbs to tank for an air leak

if you can test again have someone pump the ball while you attempt to accelerate

fuel pump could be at question , kit is only about $10 and 3 screws to change it out.

also could be the idle needs to be increased a bit, till it idles smoothly in gear

also check for spark on all cylinders

check this and report back the guys here will sort you out

Forward gear messed up, or is it supposed to spin and click

no worries

Re:Help! Newbee on a 1969 Mercury 1000 100HP 13 years 3 months ago #34264

Thanks MadProps!

I have an air leak at the main fuel line connector that is in the bottom of the motor housing if the motor is turned just right. I was wondering if you know where I could order this connector from and the fuel pump kit from and the numbers for it. other than that, no other air leaks anywhere.

Also, the lower unit is fine then? It is supposed to spin freely and click when in forward gear?

Thanks,

Nate

Re:Help! Newbee on a 1969 Mercury 1000 100HP 13 years 3 months ago #34265

Thanks MadProps!

I have an air leak at the main fuel line connector that is in the bottom of the motor housing if the motor is turned just right. I was wondering if you know where I could order this connector from and the fuel pump kit from and the numbers for it. other than that, no other air leaks anywhere.

Also, the lower unit is fine then? It is supposed to spin freely and click when in forward gear?

Thanks,

Nate
Please note: although no board code and smiley buttons are shown, they are still usable.

Re:Help! Newbee on a 1969 Mercury 1000 100HP 13 years 3 months ago #34266

your good just fix your fuel delivery problem
look on ebay for your parts they are available everyday
use the name and/or part number for search criteria
can also be bought at merc dealers
or eastcoastmarine.com

you will be on the water soon!

Re:Help! Newbee on a 1969 Mercury 1000 100HP 13 years 3 months ago #34268

Awsome!

Im freakin stoked! Thanks for all your help! I have been freaking out! Lower Unit prices are crazy! Just wasnt for sure if it was supposed to spin and click like that. Well, I will get back to ya on the fuel problem and let you know if I get it fixed.

Thanks again!

Re:Help! Newbee on a 1969 Mercury 1000 100HP 13 years 3 months ago #34269

Re:Help! Newbee on a 1969 Mercury 1000 100HP 13 years 3 months ago #34272

MadProps,

One more quick question, I did remove the lower unit and found that I have a bad seal around the impeller housing on the water pump, Do you have a number or link to one of these on ebay also? I still have yet to master the process for finding part numbers on things for this motor, got a manual on the way! lol!

Thanks again,

Nate

Re:Help! Newbee on a 1969 Mercury 1000 100HP 13 years 3 months ago #34276

sorry although I have that model and year I dont have a parts list :unsure:

one of the guys here can post a link to an online site with parts lists ....I cant find my links not at my usual PC at the moment

Re:Help! Newbee on a 1969 Mercury 1000 100HP 13 years 3 months ago #34287

I like sea-way's diagram navigator:
www.seawaymarine.com/pages/oemparts?aribrand=MRC

Under "Parts Search by Model" keep filtering down your model/serial group until you get the selection of diagrams.

Also, I think the Sierra Marine catalog is here: www.teleflexmarine.com/products/engine-and-drive-parts/sierra-parts-catalog-2010/

Re:Help! Newbee on a 1969 Mercury 1000 100HP 13 years 3 months ago #34293

• Amigoid
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Since you have the lower unit opened up, you might as well make sure you replace the impeller, unless it was already replaced recently. Good water pressure is critical, and if you don't have a water pressure gauge that would be a good investment against burning out your motor.

Go over every part of the fuel delivery system. After I had replaced everything, and had the diaphram replaced and the fuel pump rebuilt, I discovered the "pulse line" that comes back from the motor to the fuel pump and works the diaphram was loose. So not a good pulse, not a good pumping.

The check valves can fail in the squeeze bulb.

Welcome to the club, I was in your shoes a year ago and I am still learning.

Re:Help! Newbee on a 1969 Mercury 1000 100HP 13 years 3 months ago #34294

Search for
mercruiser parts
On google , all the part # / prices and availability are just a few clicks away !!!

Re:Help! Newbee on a 1969 Mercury 1000 100HP 13 years 3 months ago #34298

Thanks everyone!

I can not thank all of you enough! You are great help! Keep it up! It is hard to ask for help fearing that you might look stupid in the first place. Nice to know that there is some people out there willing to explain what is simple to them-to a new comer!

Much Appriciated,

Nate

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online