Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Which 110, 115, 125 motor to look for?

Which 110, 115, 125 motor to look for? 13 years 3 months ago #34189

• CaryW
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 69 Powercat with a 20" transom. Going to start the hunt for a low budget motor. I have a line on a red stripe 125 that all I know is not seized. $200.00 or less. Boat is rated at 130.

My buddy says try and stay with a blue stripe as electronics are better and easier to find.

Is there a big difference in the red and blue?

Oh, it will also help me decide what color to paint the center stripe of the boat. :laugh:

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Which 110, 115, 125 motor to look for? 13 years 3 months ago #34213

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I have a 66 15T, with a low hours 110,also 1966.It runs like a Swiss watch,no problems.Sounds like you have a 16T which is the same length ony diff is mine has the 15" transom.Runs around 43 MPH but with TnT would hit 45.Most guys when they rebuild there transom add two knee braces then bump up there HP to the 140-150 range. I plan on putting a 150 on mine this winter and the hull is rated for 110 which was the largest outboard made in 66.I should hit around 55+ when done.Powercatboat.com has many pic of rebuilds in the for sale section and Cats still in use today, with some speeds listed along there rigs.You can always paint the stripe on the motor unless you plan on doing the boat show thing and want to be scored accordingly.I would say even compression is what you need to be looking for,I am sure the Merc gurus will chime in for more specific thing to look for,good luck!

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Which 110, 115, 125 motor to look for? 13 years 3 months ago #34238

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Be careful talking blue vs red as cowls could be swapped.
I run many vintage 6 mercs, I try to stay with the correct vintage so my decisions are based on that more than which one is "better". I run a 1958, 62, 63, 66, and 74 6's. and had a 69 and 57.
Electronic ignition was introduced in 66. It is points switched, in 67 it was hall effect switched, in about 73 the distributor design changed a bit but still hall effect switch. Switchboxes are all interchangeable.
There is no doubt that the motors became more fuel efficient as the years went on, lower units improved with stainless shafts. Later direct charge motors still have many new parts available, like oversize pistons, wire hanesses etc. The 73 up motors have better exhaust tuning, better lower units, the latest distributor etc. For these reasons, given the options you listed, correct year vintage not withstanding, I would go with a 73 and up 115 to about 77. This is the dist model and maybe less $$ for a good one. If you can score a later year 115 or 90 they are much stronger, have no distributor and have a better tilt design integrated into the transom bracket. You have more options becasue you can use a 20 inch motor. If you want the motor to "look correct" then put earlier decals on with a year correct faceplate. You could easily make a later model 115 look like a 69 1250. So unless you are a purist this would be a pretty stealth combo for your boat. In the 69/70/71/72 years many things changed on the exhaust side and interchange between powerheads, and midsections becomes a little more tricky between models and years. After 73 less intercahnge issues right up to the last year like 87 or so. I always thought a good stealth combo on an older 15 inch transom boat would be a Short Shaft mid from 73 up used on a late 80's 1150, decals of choice to match year desired.
My experience is the 1250 is a fuel hog, the distributor has a unique advance/retard mechanism, it is the largest, 99 cube, cross flow intake/exhaust motor they made and it looses efficiency, the 90 cube version (100 hp) is a much nicer running motor. I'd say the same with the 1100 cross flow, it is a one year wonder, 93 cube just puched out for a little extra hp but very little improvement over the 100 and more difficult to find pistons etc. in case a rebuild is needed.
The 1150's from 73 up (blue stripe in your vernacular) are smooth and torquey. It runs about as hard as a 1500 version of the same motor except right at the top end. The later 115 with no distributor run very close to the earlier 1500 but run much better over the whole rpm range, just a tad slower on top end. The non distributor 90's will run similar to the distributor 1150's. This is becasue of a hp measurement change taken from the flywheel (more ) to the prop (less). The 1500 is maxed out and can self destruct unless careful attention is paid to fuel, timing, proping and jetting. The 115 is far more tolerant.
All Mercs are great in my opinion but within that, some are easier to deal from a parts/interchange perspective and perform better over the whole rpm range and fuel use.
My two cents, I certainly don't know everything, just my observations.
Randy

Re:Which 110, 115, 125 motor to look for? 13 years 3 months ago #34241

Wow Randy.... now that was a comprehensive synopsis of that class of motor if I ever saw one. Thanks for taking the time. Great info.

Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:Which 110, 115, 125 motor to look for? 13 years 3 months ago #34242

• CaryW
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yes, that was great. When somebody tells me something is better I always ask why. You answered my "why"

Re:Which 110, 115, 125 motor to look for? 13 years 3 months ago #34326

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
A newer motor would indeed be nice, but you can buy a lot of extra fuel with the price difference!

That $200 1250, if it's all there and not rotted away, is worth much more in parts than the purchase price. I'd snap it up regardless. If you get it running for little $$ you've nothing to lose. Or part it out and put down towards a newer motor.

BTW that 1250 is a torque fiend and will really crank on that Powercat, with the right prop. A 100 hp will run out nicely but no comparison to a 115 or 125 in terms of speed and hole shot.

An ADI-fired 1150 with integral Tilt'n'Trim would be the ultimate motor, of course that's gonna be more expensive as well. That prop-rated Last of the Inlines is pretty much the same as an earlier crank-rated, power-ported 1400, and a real Beast on a light boat.

Some years ago the good Dr. Frankenmerc took me for a spin in his 14' Sidewinder powered by a power-ported 1150 that he christened "OOPS" due to a UPS shipping accident. Fearsome hole shot, and when he put the hammer down at 35+ the mid-range acceleration was downright scary! And I thought my old 16' Super Sidewinder with a 1350 was fast!!!

At any rate, snag that 1250 and give 'er a whirl, it'll be a good learning experience and you can always upgrade to a newer Phantom Black Tower of Power later on. Check your local Craigslist classifieds as there's typically a wealth of running and parts motors.

HTH & Have Fun with the Powercat.........ed

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online