TOPIC: 700 is home.

700 is home. 13 years 3 months ago #34051

• Neil
  • Neil's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Got her home and put in the shop.
This is the first time I have seen a trim tab like this one.
Any thoughts on it?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:700 is home. 13 years 3 months ago #34052

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
That's where the water pickup is located Neil, there will (should) be a gasket between it and the gearcase housing. I used to have a '62 700FGS - great motor! (That black DSH has gotta go, though. LOL)

Mark

Re:700 is home. 13 years 3 months ago #34055

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Mark. And yes, white is right on this motor! When I get to this one, she will be all white again.
The guy did not want to give up the controls with the motor. Our verbal agreement on the phone was for the motor and controls. I ALWAYS make that statement when dealing on motors. I told him that the controls were specific to this motor, unbolted it and threw it in the truck and was gone before he could try doing any more back peddling. I am glad the key was in it.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:700 is home. 13 years 3 months ago #34075

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dude aren't you ever going to run out of room!?!

Bob

Re:700 is home. 13 years 3 months ago #34079

Question to Mark... I cannot imagine how the heck some holes drilled thru the anode tab (or whatever that thing is that both acts as an anode to avoid corrosion of metal in the motor and at the same time compensate for side pull of the prop wash. (terms are not important much less correct I am sure)....have anything to do with picking up water?

On another note.... Neil...you are the MercFinder but it looks like you already have some combo whites and blacks in your inventory so this should fit in till you get to them all right?.

Just asking.....

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:700 is home. 13 years 3 months ago #34080

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I indeed do have a couple that are original white motors that the previous owners have taken the liberty of changing colors on.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:700 is home. 13 years 3 months ago #34083

I just picked one of these up a couple weeks ago...mine's a 1961 700 "E" full gear shift... and I was just as confused about the trim tab holes. I ended up needing a new water pump base which meant switching to the 700 E-1 pump style because it was all I could find...still picks up through the trim tab but the hose (which you'll soon find) goes into the pump base instead of the housing. Suffice it to say I'm quickly becoming familiar with this beast.

Re:700 is home. 13 years 3 months ago #34093

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
barnfinder wrote;

Question to Mark... I cannot imagine how the heck some holes drilled thru the anode tab (or whatever that thing is that both acts as an anode to avoid corrosion of metal in the motor and at the same time compensate for side pull of the prop wash. (terms are not important much less correct I am sure)....have anything to do with picking up water?

Tim - That trim tab doesn't have any anode capabilities, it's painted aluminum from the factory. It serves to counteract torque steer just fine, didn't have any issues with that. (Guess there's enough "non-holed" material to do the job?) When the lower is bolted up to the DSH it forms a "cavity" or "chamber" for the water, and as apson stated there is a pickup tube that comes from the water pump base down to the cavity to suck the water up into. (Maybe the pressure of being submerged pushes it up there, not sure about the sucking part.) I was lucky and didn't have to pull the wp base, just replaced the insert (liner), plate, and impeller, and of course the gaskets and seals on mine.

The Merc "bible" says this motor should be run in a barrel for water supply, although some folks have run it with the flush fitting attached. I was lucky to have Joe at Ferguson Poole Marine as a parts supplier and adviser to get me thru the process. ;)

I apologize for the poor video quality, it was my first one ever!

Disclaimer - Hope I haven't mis-spoken on any of the above, doing it from memory which isn't so good anymore! :laugh:

Mark

Re:700 is home. 13 years 3 months ago #34102

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
The fin is NOT an anode it is the water pick up and trim tab only

Re:700 is home. 13 years 3 months ago #34105

Barnfinder,

In other words that trim tab is hollow inside. Water goes into it then into a tube then that feeds the water pump. There are no water inlet holes on the side of the gear case. And there is not water inlet hole under the cave plate like a MK 55. The trim tab is it.

What you cannot see in the photo, is that the leading edge of that trim tab is completely full of holes to suck water in. The side holes were added later I believe. Ive never seen the side holes from factory.

Conrad

Re:700 is home. 13 years 3 months ago #34154

later ones came factory with the side holes don't break any of the water pump part are hard to find. impeller is the same as the later big 4's and 6's

Re:700 is home. 13 years 3 months ago #34155

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks all you guys.
This is what makes Fiberglassics so cool.
People from all walks are able to share what they know about this crazy hobby.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:700 is home. 13 years 3 months ago #34156

merc 450 had that water pickup also

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online