• Page:

TOPIC: Need HELP with rebutting a dealer's BBB response

Need HELP with rebutting a dealer's BBB response 13 years 3 months ago #33360

• Amigoid
  • Amigoid's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Those of you who have been following along with my saga, I finally got a response from Valentines.

On May 31, 2011, the business provided the following information:
May 31, 2011

Better Business Bureau

Regarding the complaint of April 16, 2010 of a Nordic boat with a 1976 Merc motor, from said customer who brought in boat for a pre-purchase inspection. Valentine's Marine informed the customer that the Merc motor needed a variety of mechanical repairs and it was not running on the number 5 cylinder which could be a serious problem for a motor. Although, Valentine's Marine informed the customer that the motor was not sound and it could be a costly investment if he should decide to purchase this boat, he arbitrarily made the choice to buy the Nordic boat. Furthermore, the customer was also notified that the wiring harness inside of the motor was disintegrating. On his own accord, he decided to purchase the boat regardless of the negative status of the motor and on May 5, 2010 he authorized Valentine Marine to replace the electrical part.

Later, the customer brought in the boat to adjust the carburetors, replace check valves, and primer bulb on May 22-25th, 2010. All mechanical repairs were sound and finished within three days. Not until July 20th, 2010 did the customer bring in the boat for the trim not working and to inform me that when the boat was given throttle it would die. At that time, we advised the customer that there was a stripped hole in the trim pump housing and that it needed to be replaced. Since the motor was manufactured sometime in the 1970's, most parts for this particular motor are no longer available. Therefore, we searched for parts which we found within a week's time and I personally repaired the trim motor which we quoted for $1000. Yet Valentine's Marine only charged the customer $600 for the entire repair which continues to be sound with no complaints from customer regarding this repair. He definitely was not overcharged

In reference to grease all over the back seats of the boat, there is absolutely no basis for this complaint. First of all, we take extreme care in providing protective coverage while we are working on all boats. Secondly, after we work on a boat, we clean up our work area and make sure that the boat is ready and clean for the customer. It simply doesn't make since for Valentine's Marine to work on a boat and leave it a mess. Thirdly, the comment made by this customer that another customer witnessed the hydraulic pump sitting on the back of the boat is absolutely false. Customer's by way of safety regulations are not allowed in the work area. Our reputation is of utmost importance to us.

There are also a few details which need to be known to determine the continued issues the customer is having. How much do the skiers weigh that he is attempting to pull with this motor? The motor can only pull skiers up to 200 pounds. Also, what octane of fuel is being used in the motor? All marine engines must have 87 octane or higher to run correctly. Another issue with these older motors is that they back flush the carburetors often.

Ultimately, Valentine's Marine is a reputable professional boat business with an A+ rating at the BBB. Dave Valentine is a master technician and has 23 years of experience and our reputation is important to us and we will do what it takes to remedy complaints.

Sincerely,

Dave Valentine,
President of Valentine's Marine

==========================

Okay, let me offer a rebuttal on a few points stated in the letter.

They said it was not running on the number 5 cylinder.
This is patently false. They did not say that.
They also did a compression test on all the cylinders and they all tested good.

They did not say the motor was not sound.

They told me about the wiring harness, and I paid them to replace it. (This is also more than likely when the tachometer was miswired and burned out.)

As for customers not being allowed in the service area, thats baloney, on more than one occasion I walked from the service department, through the back door to the garage, and through the service area to get to my boat with the full knowlege of the staff.

ONly once was I able to get a skier up and she weighs less than 200 pounds. What are they smoking when they said that motor can pull only skiers up to 200 pounds!?!?! I have photos of that motor pulling a formation of skiers. Can anyone else validate this? The largest motor that was made that year can only pull 1 200 pound skier?

I have run nothing but Premium 91+ octane, with the recommended fuel oil mixtures.

I am not going to accept this response, but I would appreciate your input regarding my rebuttal.
:angry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Need HELP with rebutting a dealer's BBB response 13 years 3 months ago #33393

I have zero intention to take sides in this, but will only state that sadly and quite often transactions conducted with undocumented verbal exchanges between the parties result in disagreement as to what was said and consequently how whatever was said was interpreted.
At least when we do our own repairs learned through shared experiences we have the insight and results in hand.
Thom

Re:Need HELP with rebutting a dealer's BBB response 13 years 3 months ago #33394

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
The verbal is the tough part for sure. I try to document everything I do to a motor for anyone plus I video the motor performing either on the boat or in the tank. If possible I engage the person as well so they become educated (if they are the type that care to be) about the issue they came in with in the first place. If I do not know something about the problem I ask DOC!!! :) or read read read the manuals as many times as it takes.
This is a tough call for sure.

Re:Need HELP with rebutting a dealer's BBB response 13 years 3 months ago #33401

• Amigoid
  • Amigoid's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Okay but what about his statement about the 150HP motor can only pull a 200 pound skier!?!?

Re:Need HELP with rebutting a dealer's BBB response 13 years 3 months ago #33419

he could be correct depending on the set up, prop, height of transom. boat etc.to big of a prop will cut down power and to high of a transom will lose pulling power also.tilt angle is also a factor.many things can affect performance.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.392 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online